fasting glucose and a1c

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: fasting glucose and a1c

Post by Tincup »

JD2020 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:09 am My BG did not spike during today's hike....I wonder why the difference.

Here is today's question: Can BG spike at a moment's notice? If so, then what is the relevance of fasting glucose? You could get stuck in traffic, spike BG, and the test result would be more of an indicator of stress than anything else.

I ask because last night I was having a calm night. For example, Libreview shows that for the 2 am hour, my BG was between 73 and 80. But then for the 3 am hour, it was between 79 and 126. The cat started making the noises that she makes when she's about to puke. She was on our bed and woke me up from a dead sleep. In that instant, I had to hold her to keep her from moving onto the cover that would need dry cleaning and reach to the floor to get my robe for her to puke on (currently now in the washing machine). So...much sudden excitement. I took a reading when it was all resolved and saw the 126. So again, can BG spike in a heartbeat in response to the sudden need to react?
Exercise will allow translocation of GLUT 4 transporters, this action will allow the cells to draw up glucose without insulin. The intensity of exercise makes a big difference. Zone 2 intensity (which I've posted on numerous times) appears to be a sweet spot where you get the GLUT 4 translocation, but it is not intense enough for the liver to start kicking glycogen out into the bloodstream. For more intense exercise, you'd expect to see an acute increase in blood sugar with a decline later. Zone 2 is great for bringing down blood sugar levels after a meal.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

JD2020 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:09 am My BG did not spike during today's hike....I wonder why the difference.

Here is today's question: Can BG spike at a moment's notice? If so, then what is the relevance of fasting glucose? You could get stuck in traffic, spike BG, and the test result would be more of an indicator of stress than anything else.

I ask because last night I was having a calm night. For example, Libreview shows that for the 2 am hour, my BG was between 73 and 80. But then for the 3 am hour, it was between 79 and 126. The cat started making the noises that she makes when she's about to puke. She was on our bed and woke me up from a dead sleep. In that instant, I had to hold her to keep her from moving onto the cover that would need dry cleaning and reach to the floor to get my robe for her to puke on (currently now in the washing machine). So...much sudden excitement. I took a reading when it was all resolved and saw the 126. So again, can BG spike in a heartbeat in response to the sudden need to react?
Exercise will allow translocation of GLUT 4 transporters, this action will allow the cells to draw up glucose without insulin. The intensity of exercise makes a big difference. Zone 2 intensity (which I've posted on numerous times) appears to be a sweet spot where you get the GLUT 4 translocation, but it is not intense enough for the liver to start kicking glycogen out into the bloodstream. For more intense exercise, you'd expect to see an acute increase in blood sugar with a decline later. Zone 2 is great for bringing down blood sugar levels after a meal.

I've noticed that fat consumption the day before can make a big difference in fasting glucose (absent something to trigger cortisol as you describe, also if you have an injury, bug or infection, glucose will be higher because of the cortisol. Ask a parent of a T1 child how hard it is to control their BS in these situations). A lot of fat stimulates insulin resistance. It is something Marty Kendall writes about. His wife is a T1 diabetic and she uses a system that mimics an "artificial pancreas" where an app makes the decisions to control the insulin pump using data from the CGM. Marty observed that with more fat, there wasn't a big acute insulin spike, but the daily area under the curve for insulin increased noticeably. If you are very low carb, doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but with more carbs, it does. This is my experience as well & I posted about it here and there is a link to Marty's site, where there is a lot more info. I also forwarded Marty's information to a T1 friend. He commented that he's noticed the fat impact as well. Said he's eaten a lunch with 200 grams of carbs, but little fat with or before the meal and had awesome insulin response - requiring very little insulin. So all things to experiment with.
Tincup
E3,E4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Thanks, this is all really helpful. As you said, a lot to experiment with.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Your post made me laugh. I can totally relate, but very cool to see the BG spike caused by your sudden awakening/intense burst of exercise. When I hear that rhythmic "ready to barf" cough, I too can become super-human to protect the sofa, bedding, a rug, etc. :lol:
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

JD2020 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:09 am Here is today's question: Can BG spike at a moment's notice? If so, then what is the relevance of fasting glucose? You could get stuck in traffic, spike BG, and the test result would be more of an indicator of stress than anything else.
Before the CGM when folks took their BG with a finger pinch, it was handy to know when your BG was lowest. For most folks that is before they have their first meal. I find that is when mine is highest. But I'm weird. Now that you have a CGM, you can see when yours is lowest. The Daily Patterns are especially useful to know over a week when your low is.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Mike - you are right. I dip around 10 pm and 3 am. Not when I wake up.

Ok, I have almost 2 weeks of info and feel like I am working with an algebraic equation with more than one unknown. Let's take this morning as an example. Can anyone help me understand this:

I woke up at 105.
I did some weight lifting. After weight lifting, before sauna, I was 117. This is rather irritating. It seems that my hike up the hill causes bill BG spikes, and weight lifting causes smaller ones. So what I do that is healthy causes BG spikes.

Post sauna, I was 134. Again, frustrating that something healthy apparently is causing BG spikes. Google says sauna can cause sugar spikes if I am dehydrated. I drink a lot of water in the sauna. Next time, I will drink a big glass before going in. Any other suggestions? Has anyone else had this result - seeing BG spikes post sauna?

Just before breakfast, about 45 min later, I was at 106. 20 minutes after breakfast, I was at 92. I don't usually decline in that 20 minutes.
An hour after breakfast, I was at 107. Looking good.
Two hours after breakfast, I spiked to 158! All my other two hour breakfast readings have been declines.
The one experiment is that I added 1/2 of a banana to my breakfast. I know banana's aren't great on the glycemic index, but I like them, and I wanted to see the impact. Does it make sense that the impact would be at the 2nd hour?

Or perhaps there is a delayed response with weight lifting and sauna that causes BG to decline after the initial increase, and that decline was offsetting the breakfast BG increase until the 2nd hour? Maybe my algebraic equation with more than one unknown exists because of the nature of life - each day is different.

Another question - it seems clear from this two weeks that a stressful day causes elevated BG. Yes? No?

Another question - it seems clear that a glass of wine with dinner blunts BG spikes. This was a big surprise to me. Google says that that is because the liver quits making glucose and focuses on processing the alcohol. I understand why in a cognitive health program we don't recommend drinking. I wonder why I never hear of diabetics being advised to have a glass of wine with dinner to smooth out BG. If a diabetic did not have cognitive health concerns, it seems like the glass of wine would be helpful.

Funny story: I read somewhere that if I ate 50 g of fiber, BG would stay low. I tried. I ate the best veggie fiber. I got to 36 g. It seemed like I was chewing all day long - it was not really fun. Of course, it was my worst day of all in terms of BG. It takes a lot of carbs to get to 36 g fiber.

Thanks for any feedback.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

JD2020 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:54 pm Mike - you are right. I dip around 10 pm and 3 am. Not when I wake up.
Can you tell me more about what you ate at the various meals along with what happened after? When you reach your high after a meal will depend on what you eat. If you just eat carbs, could be quick. Protein and fat can change the curve and cause your high to be delayed. Adding vinegar can slow absorption. In terms of alcohol, yes I find that low sugar (dry wine, whiskey, etc. - no sugar mixers) can slow the curve or even bring your BG down. In long run, may be worse for you though... Just like exercise can cause a blood spike, but you will be more healthy in the long run. The harder you are breathing to keep up with your exercise, the higher your BG will likely go. Do you tend to be keto? If so, then under lower loads your muscles use the ketones and your glucose is being saved for the brain. Under higher breathing loads, you need more than you can get from ketones and your BG goes up to meet the demand. Are you using a CGM App? Can you look at weekly patterns and post an image?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

mike wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:56 pm Can you look at weekly patterns and post an image?
Thanks for the ongoing assistance.

I attempted to post the graph for this past week. I am not measuring ketones. I have Biosense. I go to bed at 5 ACE, I wake up at 5 ACE, and it doesn’t matter if I don’t eat for 12 hours or 16 or if dinner is low or medium carb. I got frustrated. Mostly, I got sick of thinking about it and dealing with the weight loss. As I have mentioned to the point of boredom, I lost too much weight and it was hard to gain it back. I decided to leave it for a while. So no, I don’t think I tend to be keto. I’m working now on getting a1c and LDLs down, under doctor’s orders.

Ok, the food. For breakfast, for a very long time, I’ve been eating yogurt, blueberries, ½ banana, and ground flaxseed. About a year ago, I added a 3 ounce shot of olive oil and a handful of macademia nuts for the sake of the extra calories. It gives me a 400 calorie head start on the day. As an experiment, I had one breakfast with the OO and another without, and difference was just the time of the spike. Without OO, I was at 142 at one hour. With OO, I was at 145 at two hours.

One thing that I was pretty sure that I was doing wrong was eating too often. The need to gain weight plus the need to have a 12 hour fast pushed three meals into a short period. So I changed breakfast to make it bigger, eat it later, add variety, and bring meals down to two times per day.

For the last 1 ½ weeks, I have been eating OO & macademia nuts, 2 ounces of smoked salmon, a large handful of some raw veggie (cauliflower today), ¼ cup (before cooking) gluten free steel cut oats with 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1/3 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, ½ teaspoon cinnamon. (A friend who is a nutritionist told me that the steel cut oats will bring down my LDL.) Plus my latte. So I am starting my day out with about 1200 calories. I can make it to dinner, and if I get hungry, a handful of walnuts is good, satisfies me, doesn’t spike BG, and my weight is stable. Cronometer says breakfast is 15% protein, 19% carbs, and 66% fat.

At one hour, BG is 130 – 140. At two hours, BG is 120 – 125. The one outlier was when I tried having the OO and macademia nuts about 1 hour before the rest of breakfast….at one hour after breakfast, BG was 186! And today something caused my two hour reading to go up to 158, substantially higher than the other readings at that time.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach the graph. I go to attachments, click "add files", it says "daily patterns.png", but after I post, it looks like the file is not there.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

JD2020 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:06 pm I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach the graph. I go to attachments, click "add files", it says "daily patterns.png", but after I post, it looks like the file is not there.
It also says you can drag the image and drop them in this box...
Sonoma Mike
4/4