fasting glucose and a1c

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: fasting glucose and a1c

Post by mike »

JD2020 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 am What do you eat?
I'm broken after a brain stem stroke - I need to keep my carbs to ~40 grams / day to keep my BG from going above 200. This limits my diet considerably. I keep to full fat dairy - cheese, cream. I eat lots of protein. 3 soft boiled eggs is a common breakfast, which I have after 9. Coffee with cream earlier. If I have lunch, it will be homemade soup or something similar, avoiding for the most part tomatoes and onions. Dinner will usually be protein and a low-carb vegie. With this diet, I can keep the BG fairly even without spikes. Meals do not have much effect.
IMG_6912.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

That is intense, and the way you described yourself took my breath away. I am so sorry for the challenges. I don't know why life has to be so challenging.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

How do you keep LDLs from being an issue if you eat full fat dairy? I've been eating lots of cheese my whole life, and now I have to lay off.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

JD2020 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 am How do you keep LDLs from being an issue if you eat full fat dairy? I've been eating lots of cheese my whole life, and now I have to lay off.
My LDL has been an issue since before I started this diet. In my case, Statins cause muscle breakdown. Working with Cardiologist to get insurance to approve something else.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Beegee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Beegee »

My husband is in the same situation, a skinny per-diabetic.
This is how we took care of his fasting glucose (it hovers consistently around 90)
We moved a big salad from dinner to lunch. Now it's just some protein and some steamed veggie. We finish eating before 6 p.m., breakfast usually at 10 a.m.
He drinks 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) with a glass of water and lemon 10 minutes before dinner
We walk after dinner for at least 15 minutes
He drinks half a glass of water with lemon and 1 tablespoon of ACV in the evening.
That's all we had to do.

Having said that he still needs to lower his a1c (it went up from 5.4 to 5.7 on the fat diet)
and in case you wonder, we still fast 15-16 hours and eat 3 times a day (we were losing too much weight when we were eating twice a day)
Hope this helps
Beegee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Beegee »

JD2020 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 am How do you keep LDLs from being an issue if you eat full fat dairy? I've been eating lots of cheese my whole life, and now I have to lay off.
This is from the author of Wheat Belly, but I haven't read it, and I haven't followed dr William Davis either, but you might find it interesting
https://youtu.be/U4tkKvmtjVk?si=WeIm3ODmflD0lhTm
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Beegee wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:04 am He drinks 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) with a glass of water and lemon 10 minutes before dinner
I tried the ACV thing during my 2 week experiment and didn't see any impact. You have found ACV to help?
Beegee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Beegee »

Yes I do, but has been taking the ACV for a while with dinner, so it's possible that the extra table spoon in the evening helped, or eating lighter dinner or a walk. Or maybe that combo together. You can't go wrong with ACV. I've been following multiple doctors and they all agree to it. Also, my husband started having issues after general anesthesia. He got horrible gout like nodules on his knuckles, almost overnight. But it's been 3 years now, one hand has completely cleared another is much, much better. I read a book by dr Permutler "Drop Acid" (meaning uric acid) and I think that tart cherries along with ACV helped (and the diet of course).