Vitamins and Teeth Products for 70+ ApoE 3/4"

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
stanleyfg
Contributor
Contributor

Vitamins and Teeth Products for 70+ ApoE 3/4"

Post by stanleyfg »

I'm looking for suggestions for a multivitamin: I'm male, ApoE3/4, 70+ . Currently I take coQ10, citicholine, D3, and baby aspirin. Best brands for these individual supplements also welcome. Should I be careful about duplication of individual supplements and multivitamins? I recognize volumes can be written about these issues!
Also looking for recommended toothpastes, mouthwash.
I understand there is no clear answer, since teeth products may destroy good bacteria with the bad, research is incomplete, etc. Trustworthy links to discussions of these products/issues welcome.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Vitamins and Teeth Products for 70+ ApoE 3/4"

Post by Julie G »

I'm looking for suggestions for a multivitamin: I'm male, ApoE3/4, 70+ . Currently I take coQ10, citicholine, D3, and baby aspirin. Best brands for these individual supplements also welcome. Should I be careful about duplication of individual supplements and multivitamins? I recognize volumes can be written about these issues!
Great questions! To help find the most effective supplements at a decent price, I subscribe to ConsumerLabs.com. As far as which supplements to take for brain health- that is a BIG question. You have a decent stack started. I assume that your physician recommended baby aspirin (?) If so, you may want to ask him/her about switching that out for high quality fish oil which will help support brain health while also providing a blood thinning benefit. Have you ever tested your homocysteine, which is closely associated with brain health and cognition? If high, you may need to add B12, folate and B6. If you're taking a higher dose of D3, it's important to combine that with 100 mcg of K2 to best protect your heart and bones. For a more comprehensive look at "supplements", use our search engine, there are almost 500 pages to peruse. Or, you could search by supplement to narrow things down. Finally, yes, if you are taking any multis, it's a good idea to be on the lookout for overlap.

Kudos for focusing on dental health. It is one of the most important thing us seniors can be doing to protect brain health. My regimen is pretty basic because I have decent dental health. Because I make a lot of tartar, I've switched to quarterly dental cleanings to be proactive. I also brush at least twice daily with a non-fluoride toothpaste, like Tom's. I floss very carefully before bed with Reach dental floss as it's been deemed (by ConsumerLabs) to be the least toxic. Finally, I treat myself to nightly oil pulling with coconut oil. This is an ancient Aryervedic practice with some decent science to support it. It makes my teeth feel amazing and actually helps me sleep more deeply. Use our search engine for "oil pulling" to learn more.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

stanleyfg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:24 am Also looking for recommended toothpastes, mouthwash.
I use "The Dirt" tooth powder. Available off Amazon. It was suggested to us by Dr. Gundry. It is made from bentonite clay and essential oils. Its hardness is less than tooth enamel, so won't damage that.

15 years ago, I had bad gums (I'm 68 now) and have worked hard on that since and made a lot of progress. In June, my hygienist exclaimed, "What have you done different! All of your pockets are 3mm or less, which is where we want them." I sarcastically replied, "I sit in a Hindu or also called Asian squat while I brush." This was true. I'm just holding the position for a stretch, not moving up and down. When I reflected on my comment later, I realized it was true. The reason being because I was in the squat, I was very present with the activity of brushing my teeth. When I reported this to the hygienist in December, she said it made perfect sense. Being present with the process makes it much more effective. I have an electric toothbrush with a timer, so I'm sure I spend the correct amount of time brushing.

Like Julie, I also do oil pulling with coconut oil. I have a dentist that did a zirconia implant for me and I go back for regular checkups with her on the implant. She happens to also be a periodontist. She mentioned I could liquify the coconut oil and put a drop of oil of oregano if I wanted. I have been doing this, but haven't researched what it does to the mouth biome. I also understand that getting rid of biofilms can be important. I don't use mouthwash.
Tincup
E3,E4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I use Theodent toothpaste. "Fluoride-Free, Natural Toothpaste for Remineralization and Sensitivity Reduction" Gluten Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free free, Vegan

Here's their webite: https://shoptheodent.com/

Available on Amazon (other sources too, I'm sure):
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
stanleyfg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stanleyfg »

Thanks for these excellent suggestions. I'll research and undoubtedly have followup Q's!
crispinh
New User
New User

Post by crispinh »

Another toothpaste recommendation from a new company, Better Biom.
Their toothpaste is fluoride-free, uses hydroxyapatite as the remineralizing agent along with other clean ingredients and comes in tab form.
https://betterbiom.com/collections/all- ... te-tablets

They also have a mouthwash with clean ingredients that help maintain the good bacteria:
https://betterbiom.com/collections/all- ... -mouthwash

Risewell offers a similar clean ingredient mouthwash:
https://risewell.com/products/balancing-mouthwash

For improving my dental routine, I believe the biggest impact came from switching from a rotary-type toothbrush (Oral B) to an ultrasonic toothbrush like this one from Boka:
https://www.boka.com/collections/toothb ... boka-brush
or this one from Burst:
https://www.burstoralcare.com/product/t ... olor=black

The ultrasonic toothbrush can take a little bit of getting used to but I find it provides a more thorough cleaning and is more gentle on my gums. Since switching to this type of toothbrush 5 years ago, I have not experienced any further gum recession.

The additional steps in my routine are flossing and tongue scraping, both with products from Dr Tungs https://drtungs.com/ which are available from amazon and other locations.

Hope this helps
Last edited by crispinh on Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

I recommend a vitamin D with K2 supplement. K2 helps calcium get into your bones and teeth.

Flossing daily is helpful too.
apoe 3/4