Why Krill Oil Beats Fish Oil

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sunshine
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Why Krill Oil Beats Fish Oil

Post by Sunshine »

I am wondering. I have a shellfish/crustacean alergy and have been advised against taking krill oil, so I do take a high quality fish oil
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

Rhonda Patrick has changed her opinion on this based on her own research. She no longer takes the phospholipid form nor Krill oil. Instead, she takes a high potency DHA supplement. Rhonda is also an Apoe4 carrier so she is careful about this statement.
Sunshine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sunshine »

I can tell the differnce in fis oil quality after taking for a few days. Clearer thinking and more energy.
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

The trouble with Krill Oil is the Omega 3 oils are low, despite what the manufactures say.
The sole advantage of the K.O. is that it delivers the oil in a mainly phospholipid form which can cross the blood brain barrier, although not nearly as well as a lyso form. The advantage of fish roe is that it is in a mainly P.L. form and normally carries a higher amount of DHA than EPA. Higher DHA in a P.L. form is King of the Castle especially for any organs above the shoulder. As a manufacturer I cannot recommend any brand, just do your research on DHA in a P.L. form, try squid for starters.
Sunshine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sunshine »

I will continue taking a high quality fish oil, monitor lab tests, and notate subjectively how I feel regarding energy (level of feeling sluggish), thinking ( speed and ability to think clearly) and mood (positive/ upbeat). Those 3 things I have noticed for me are influenced by fish oil consistency and quality
RacerStorm
New User
New User

Post by RacerStorm »

I give my mom a high dose 10,125 mg (total DHA and EPA) of OmegaRx fish oil per morning, exactly 3 teaspoons. Duration about 1 year.

Visible results:

Decrease in sundowning/anxiety
Prevents the poor cognitive effects of no or little sleep
Recent months — regained much of her natural sleep (past addiction to Benzodiazepines)

But no improvement in memory but her condition has only slightly degraded four years after ALZ diagnosis.

Suffered TIA three years ago.

Take an AA/EPA ratio test to figure out dosages when aiming for high amounts.
TPE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TPE »

RacerStorm wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:35 pm I give my mom a high dose 10,125 mg (total DHA and EPA) of OmegaRx fish oil per morning, exactly 3 teaspoons. Duration about 1 year.

Visible results:

Decrease in sundowning/anxiety
Prevents the poor cognitive effects of no or little sleep
Recent months — regained much of her natural sleep (past addiction to Benzodiazepines)

But no improvement in memory but her condition has only slightly degraded four years after ALZ diagnosis.

Suffered TIA three years ago.

Take an AA/EPA ratio test to figure out dosages when aiming for high amounts.
Hello RacerStorm and thanks for your first post on the site.

The personalized care of your Mom is notable. Thanks for sharing the results of a higher dose of DHA and EPA over the past year. Especially the tip of the AA/EPA ratio test to determine dosage.

Although you may have already taken a look around, as a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience on the site. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, thanks for posting. Continue to share your findings as you care for your Mom. We appreciate it.

Warmly,
Therese (TPE)
Daughter of Mother living with Vascular Dementia
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Nationally Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Still learning
Mattsky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mattsky »

Hi.
Be careful what "Experts" you are listening to.
Rhonda Patric posted a paper "Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease" To support her claims, she cited a few studies, which is odd to me that she doesn't understand them. DHA from krill oil comes in free form, and they are not absorbed through BBB, LPC-dha is! Currently, there is no supplement on the market with this form. Aker Biomarine got permission from the FDA for their product Lysoveta that contains it to be sold in the USA only, yet still, it is not sold. So for now, your best bet is eating fish or fish-roe.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Mattsky wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:19 pm Hi.
Rhonda Patric posted a paper "Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease" To support her claims, she cited a few studies, which is odd to me that she doesn't understand them. DHA from krill oil comes in free form, and they are not absorbed through BBB, LPC-dha is! Currently, there is no supplement on the market with this form. Aker Biomarine got permission from the FDA for their product Lysoveta that contains it to be sold in the USA only, yet still, it is not sold. So for now, your best bet is eating fish or fish-roe.
Dr Rhonda Patrick's paper that you referenced can be found here: Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease. She cites 86 footnotes, I wouldn't call that a few. Nevertheless, FYI she also advocates fish roe and fish.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TPE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TPE »

Mattsky wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:19 pm Hi.
Hello, Mattsky! Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.

I'm uncertain if you have a good grasp of apoe4.info or if this is your first time here.
Just in case you are brand new, as a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Our Wiki page is loaded with valuable information. You can find the link here: Wiki Main Page

Thanks again for joining the forum and sharing what you've found regarding Rhonda Patric's post. Please consider sharing a bit about yourself. We'd love to hear more from you.

Warmly,
Therese (TPE)
Daughter of Mother living with Vascular Dementia
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Nationally Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Still learning