55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Post Reply
Tony Ma
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:05 pm

55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by Tony Ma »

Hi everyone,

I am Tony from China. At beginning, I sincerely appreciate your patience to read this post and apologize for my english writing.

My mother is 55 years old now and she has subject cognitive decline. She starts having difficulty in short-term memory generation and working. Last year, she found that book 'The end of Alzheimer's' and passed it to me to find how to cure her symptoms.

After read the first book and program, I have some ideas on what to do. However, there is still a few questions remained. There are very few people who are using Recode program in China now so I come to here.

My mom is E3/E3.

My questions are mainly about ketoflex12/3 and leakygut repair.

In ketoflex12/3, only about 15% of energy intake is from carbohydrate. In the list of food, it said "a cup of brocolli has 11.2 g carbohydrate". I am not sure how much is "a cup". Is it 236g? For carbohydrate, which types of carbohydrate will you recommend? I saw sugar and cereal were all banned from list.

75% of energy is from fat. In the ketoflex12/3, fat intake is very high compared to normal diet. My mom's LDL-Cholesterol is ~ 4.03 mmol/L. Total cholesterol is 6.5 mmol/L. They are both higher than the healthy range. Will the large amount of fat intake in ketoflex12/3 make this blood cholesterol worse?

About leakygut repair, my mom's all indicators show she has problem of leaky gut.
My current plan is to stop all cereal and dairy intake and prepare some bone soup.
Not sure what else I can do. If you know how to repair leaky gut, please tell me !

Many thanks,

Tony
PhD student at Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology, the University of Melbourne
User avatar
TPE
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:06 pm
Location: Montana

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by TPE »

Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm Hi everyone,

I am Tony from China. At beginning, I sincerely appreciate your patience to read this post and apologize for my english writing.

My mother is 55 years old now and she has subject cognitive decline. She starts having difficulty in short-term memory generation and working. Last year, she found that book 'The end of Alzheimer's' and passed it to me to find how to cure her symptoms.

After read the first book and program, I have some ideas on what to do. However, there is still a few questions remained. There are very few people who are using Recode program in China now so I come to here.

My mom is E3/E3.

My questions are mainly about ketoflex12/3 and leakygut repair.

In ketoflex12/3, only about 15% of energy intake is from carbohydrate. In the list of food, it said "a cup of brocolli has 11.2 g carbohydrate". I am not sure how much is "a cup". Is it 236g? For carbohydrate, which types of carbohydrate will you recommend? I saw sugar and cereal were all banned from list.

75% of energy is from fat. In the ketoflex12/3, fat intake is very high compared to normal diet. My mom's LDL-Cholesterol is ~ 4.03 mmol/L. Total cholesterol is 6.5 mmol/L. They are both higher than the healthy range. Will the large amount of fat intake in ketoflex12/3 make this blood cholesterol worse?

About leakygut repair, my mom's all indicators show she has problem of leaky gut.
My current plan is to stop all cereal and dairy intake and prepare some bone soup.
Not sure what else I can do. If you know how to repair leaky gut, please tell me !

Many thanks,

Tony
Hello, Tony, and a warm welcome to our site! Thank you for posting.

Your Mother is so fortunate to have a son so committed to learning how you can support her. You are off to a good start. There is so much to learn here, it can be overwhelming. You have a terrific resource in Dr Bredesen's book and protocol and there's a wealth of resources here. You seem to have done a terrific job assessing your Mother's current needs. If I could offer some advice, start in the area that seems most doable and make small steps from there. For example, look at your Mom's vegetable intake and add a serving at each meal, varying the colors or observe the time between your Mom's last meal of the day and the first meal of the following day. If needed, extend the fasting time by 30 minutes and gradually build from there.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience here. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Regarding your question of alternative ways to measure vegetables, here's a resource: Vegetable Conversion Chart

Our main Wiki page is filled with information: Wiki Main Page

You are off to a good start regarding your suspicions of leaky gut. Here is more information regarding this in our Wiki Page: Wiki:
Leaky Gut information


I chuckle to myself as I encourage small steps, then bombard you with information! Again, your Mother's symptoms have most likely come on gradually. Although it seems urgent, when you make small changes you will soon see you and your Mom are building significant improvements.

Thanks again for your post. We are glad you're here. Please reach out again. Soon you will be helping others on our site.

Warmly,
Therese (TPE)
Daughter of Mother living with Vascular Dementia
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Nationally Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Still learning
User avatar
TheresaB
Mod
Mod
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by TheresaB »

Welcome Tony, your English is impressive!
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm For carbohydrate, which types of carbohydrate will you recommend? I saw sugar and cereal were all banned from list.
You're right, not all carbs are created equal. Maybe a visual will help, the KetoFlex pyramid
ketoflex brain pyramid.jpg
You see that non-starchy vegetables can be eaten plentifully. The recommendation is to avoid sugar (in all forms), simple carbohydrates (breads, muffins, cakes, pastries, crackers, chips, pretzels, pasta, etc.), conventional dairy (milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.), and grains (wheat, corn, rye, oats, rice, etc.)

I borrowed that graphic from this article on the Apollo Health website, it delves into more detail on the Ketoflex 12/3 approach, I found it to be very helpful, I think maybe you would too: KetoFLEX 12/3
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm About leakygut repair, my mom's all indicators show she has problem of leaky gut.
Yes, that is an issue that can lead to cognitive issues. Strategies to follow for addressing a leaky gut include:
*Eliminate damaging foods
*Reduce stress
*Fasting
*Generate butyrate
*Add collagen
*Exercise
*Sleep
*Vitamin A+D.
These strategies are addressed in more detail in our Leaky Gut wiki: Addressing a Leaky Gut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:55 pm
Location: CA - Sonoma County

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by mike »

Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm My questions are mainly about ketoflex12/3 and leakygut repair.
It is generally thought to be good to be on a Keto diet, but this is just one part of a strategy. Does your mom have diabetes? Has she ever had her blood sugar measured? It is always good to get rid of sugars from your diet, but she may be able to tolerate more carbohydrates... Without testing, it is hard to say. It may be more useful to work on the leaky gut first...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Tony Ma
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:05 pm

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by Tony Ma »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 pm
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm My questions are mainly about ketoflex12/3 and leakygut repair.
It is generally thought to be good to be on a Keto diet, but this is just one part of a strategy. Does your mom have diabetes? Has she ever had her blood sugar measured? It is always good to get rid of sugars from your diet, but she may be able to tolerate more carbohydrates... Without testing, it is hard to say. It may be more useful to work on the leaky gut first...
Hi Mike,

Thanks for you reply. My mom does not have diabetes. Her blood sugar in the morning is 5.2 mmol/L and insulin is 2.87 uU/ml. Her current diet is free for simple sugar and milk.

I wonder how KetoFLEX12/3 affect blood cholesterol level? Will this high fat diet increase blood cholesterol level?

Many thanks,

Tony
PhD student at Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology, the University of Melbourne
Tony Ma
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:05 pm

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by Tony Ma »

TheresaB wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:36 am Welcome Tony, your English is impressive!
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm For carbohydrate, which types of carbohydrate will you recommend? I saw sugar and cereal were all banned from list.
You're right, not all carbs are created equal. Maybe a visual will help, the KetoFlex pyramid
ketoflex brain pyramid.jpg
You see that non-starchy vegetables can be eaten plentifully. The recommendation is to avoid sugar (in all forms), simple carbohydrates (breads, muffins, cakes, pastries, crackers, chips, pretzels, pasta, etc.), conventional dairy (milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.), and grains (wheat, corn, rye, oats, rice, etc.)

I borrowed that graphic from this article on the Apollo Health website, it delves into more detail on the Ketoflex 12/3 approach, I found it to be very helpful, I think maybe you would too: KetoFLEX 12/3
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm About leakygut repair, my mom's all indicators show she has problem of leaky gut.
Yes, that is an issue that can lead to cognitive issues. Strategies to follow for addressing a leaky gut include:
*Eliminate damaging foods
*Reduce stress
*Fasting
*Generate butyrate
*Add collagen
*Exercise
*Sleep
*Vitamin A+D.
These strategies are addressed in more detail in our Leaky Gut wiki: Addressing a Leaky Gut
Hi Theresa

Really thanks! You provide with me such abundant information. I will read those pages from apollo health.

Many thanks,

Tony
PhD student at Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology, the University of Melbourne
Tony Ma
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:05 pm

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by Tony Ma »

TPE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:27 am
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm Hi everyone,

I am Tony from China. At beginning, I sincerely appreciate your patience to read this post and apologize for my english writing.

My mother is 55 years old now and she has subject cognitive decline. She starts having difficulty in short-term memory generation and working. Last year, she found that book 'The end of Alzheimer's' and passed it to me to find how to cure her symptoms.

After read the first book and program, I have some ideas on what to do. However, there is still a few questions remained. There are very few people who are using Recode program in China now so I come to here.

My mom is E3/E3.

My questions are mainly about ketoflex12/3 and leakygut repair.

In ketoflex12/3, only about 15% of energy intake is from carbohydrate. In the list of food, it said "a cup of brocolli has 11.2 g carbohydrate". I am not sure how much is "a cup". Is it 236g? For carbohydrate, which types of carbohydrate will you recommend? I saw sugar and cereal were all banned from list.

75% of energy is from fat. In the ketoflex12/3, fat intake is very high compared to normal diet. My mom's LDL-Cholesterol is ~ 4.03 mmol/L. Total cholesterol is 6.5 mmol/L. They are both higher than the healthy range. Will the large amount of fat intake in ketoflex12/3 make this blood cholesterol worse?

About leakygut repair, my mom's all indicators show she has problem of leaky gut.
My current plan is to stop all cereal and dairy intake and prepare some bone soup.
Not sure what else I can do. If you know how to repair leaky gut, please tell me !

Many thanks,

Tony
Hello, Tony, and a warm welcome to our site! Thank you for posting.

Your Mother is so fortunate to have a son so committed to learning how you can support her. You are off to a good start. There is so much to learn here, it can be overwhelming. You have a terrific resource in Dr Bredesen's book and protocol and there's a wealth of resources here. You seem to have done a terrific job assessing your Mother's current needs. If I could offer some advice, start in the area that seems most doable and make small steps from there. For example, look at your Mom's vegetable intake and add a serving at each meal, varying the colors or observe the time between your Mom's last meal of the day and the first meal of the following day. If needed, extend the fasting time by 30 minutes and gradually build from there.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience here. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Regarding your question of alternative ways to measure vegetables, here's a resource: Vegetable Conversion Chart

Our main Wiki page is filled with information: Wiki Main Page

You are off to a good start regarding your suspicions of leaky gut. Here is more information regarding this in our Wiki Page: Wiki:
Leaky Gut information


I chuckle to myself as I encourage small steps, then bombard you with information! Again, your Mother's symptoms have most likely come on gradually. Although it seems urgent, when you make small changes you will soon see you and your Mom are building significant improvements.

Thanks again for your post. We are glad you're here. Please reach out again. Soon you will be helping others on our site.

Warmly,
Therese (TPE)
Hi Therese,

Really thanks your reply. That vegetable conversion chart really helps. I will dig deeper into leaky gut repair. Thanks for your information.

By the way, I saw your signature "Daughter of Mother living with Vascular Dementia". I wonder if your mom is the reason for you to become a nutritionist and functional medicine coach.

Many thanks,

Tony
PhD student at Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology, the University of Melbourne
User avatar
TPE
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:06 pm
Location: Montana

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by TPE »

Tony Ma wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:59 pm
TPE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:27 am
Tony Ma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm Hi everyone,

I am Tony from China. At beginning, I sincerely appreciate your patience to read this post and apologize for my english writing.

My mother is 55 years old now and she has subject cognitive decline. She starts having difficulty in short-term memory generation and working. Last year, she found that book 'The end of Alzheimer's' and passed it to me to find how to cure her symptoms.

After read the first book and program, I have some ideas on what to do. However, there is still a few questions remained. There are very few people who are using Recode program in China now so I come to here.

My mom is E3/E3.

My questions are mainly about ketoflex12/3 and leakygut repair.

In ketoflex12/3, only about 15% of energy intake is from carbohydrate. In the list of food, it said "a cup of brocolli has 11.2 g carbohydrate". I am not sure how much is "a cup". Is it 236g? For carbohydrate, which types of carbohydrate will you recommend? I saw sugar and cereal were all banned from list.

75% of energy is from fat. In the ketoflex12/3, fat intake is very high compared to normal diet. My mom's LDL-Cholesterol is ~ 4.03 mmol/L. Total cholesterol is 6.5 mmol/L. They are both higher than the healthy range. Will the large amount of fat intake in ketoflex12/3 make this blood cholesterol worse?

About leakygut repair, my mom's all indicators show she has problem of leaky gut.
My current plan is to stop all cereal and dairy intake and prepare some bone soup.
Not sure what else I can do. If you know how to repair leaky gut, please tell me !

Many thanks,

Tony
Hello, Tony, and a warm welcome to our site! Thank you for posting.

Your Mother is so fortunate to have a son so committed to learning how you can support her. You are off to a good start. There is so much to learn here, it can be overwhelming. You have a terrific resource in Dr Bredesen's book and protocol and there's a wealth of resources here. You seem to have done a terrific job assessing your Mother's current needs. If I could offer some advice, start in the area that seems most doable and make small steps from there. For example, look at your Mom's vegetable intake and add a serving at each meal, varying the colors or observe the time between your Mom's last meal of the day and the first meal of the following day. If needed, extend the fasting time by 30 minutes and gradually build from there.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience here. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Regarding your question of alternative ways to measure vegetables, here's a resource: Vegetable Conversion Chart

Our main Wiki page is filled with information: Wiki Main Page

You are off to a good start regarding your suspicions of leaky gut. Here is more information regarding this in our Wiki Page: Wiki:
Leaky Gut information


I chuckle to myself as I encourage small steps, then bombard you with information! Again, your Mother's symptoms have most likely come on gradually. Although it seems urgent, when you make small changes you will soon see you and your Mom are building significant improvements.

Thanks again for your post. We are glad you're here. Please reach out again. Soon you will be helping others on our site.

Warmly,
Therese (TPE)
Hi Therese,

Really thanks your reply. That vegetable conversion chart really helps. I will dig deeper into leaky gut repair. Thanks for your information.

By the way, I saw your signature "Daughter of Mother living with Vascular Dementia". I wonder if your mom is the reason for you to become a nutritionist and functional medicine coach.

Many thanks,

Tony
Hi Tony,
You're welcome.
I was already a nutritionist prior to my Mom's diagnosis, but it did cause me to dig deeper into functional medicine and the Bredesen Protocol. That led me to the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy and this wonderful internship. This site is so full of information, support and kindness. I don't think you could find this anywhere else. I'm glad you found it too.
Take care,
Therese
Daughter of Mother living with Vascular Dementia
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Nationally Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Still learning
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:55 pm
Location: CA - Sonoma County

Re: 55 years old Asian lady with subject cognitive decline

Post by mike »

Tony Ma wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:43 pm I wonder how KetoFLEX12/3 affect blood cholesterol level? Will this high fat diet increase blood cholesterol level?
It depends on who you ask. Most Cardiologists will say to lower ingested fats to lower cholesterol. Many folks here will tell you that ingested fat does not affect blood cholesterol levels. Your mom is 3/3 so she will not have the cholesterol changes with ApoE4. My personal experience - I have gone down to almost no Carbohydrates and use fat for fuel. My cholesterol is a little high, but it has been going down steadily for the last few years that I've been on a Keto diet. I'm 4/4, so expect my cholesterol to be a bit out of whack anyway. Check out our WIKI on the topic to get more of the science. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Cholestero ... ng_statins

Your mom's glucose data looks good, so your mom seems to be handling her carbohydrate intake okay... It would be interesting to see if there is mental improvement with a bit more fat and less Carbs, but I would go slow. Attack those areas where she seems especially weak.

More exercise is usually a great idea - both weight training and cardio.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Post Reply