Panicking 41yr old grown up man

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Panicking 41yr old grown up man

Post by Julie G »

Starfish77 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:49 pm Instead my results were very favorable. I was recruited for a project to see if I had a genetic reason for how well I was doing and they would like to have blood tests and my brain when I die. Both are fine with me. They would like a spinal test and I said no to that. I have not been a devoted follower of Dr. Bredesen but got lots of good information from him when I was active in the begining years of the Apoe4info group.

I'm sure that has helped me stay in good health. I was 77 when I started improving my diet. You are 41 and you are doing all that physical activity. Good for you for getting yourself in even better health.

Starfish77
I'm so happy to hear from you, Diana. You've been strongly on my mind. Thank you for the update and hope for us all!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hi Julie, good to hear from you.
You have done a great job keeping yourselves healthy and helping so many others to do the same.
Starfish77
bobolysza
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bobolysza »

Hi again,

I would like to say thank you for all your help and comments.

I haven't responded till now because I wanted to spend Christmas with the family and not to worry too much until I take some tests based on the Bresden protocol.

I received my results today.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts and comments :)

GGT = 10U/L (reference: <55)

Total Cholesterol = 4.58 mmol/L (ref: < 5.20)

Triglicerids = 0.94 mmol/L (ref: < 1.70)

HDL = 1.33 mmol/L (ref: > 1.05)

LDL = 2.82 mmol/L (ref: < 3.4)

Glucose = 4.22 mmol/L (ref: 4.10 - 5.60)

HbA1C = 37.36 mmol/L (ref: 20 - 42)

HbA1C % = 5.62 (ref: 4 - 6)

Insulin = < 1.6 mIU/L (ref: 2.6 - 25.00) LOW

Vitamin D = 153 mmol/L (26 - 124) HIGH

Total Testosterone = 8.07 (ref: 8.3 - 30) LOW

DHEA-S = 7.36 umol/L (ref: 3 - 13)

Homocystein = 5.3 umol/L (5.46 - 16.2) LOW

What scares me is the low insulin level.
It says my level is below 1.6 but should be above 2.6 at least.

Like I said my diet is very special. I'm fasting 22 hrs and eat a big meal in the evening.

Actually the night before the blood test I had a dinner at my grandma and I ate roughly 4-500 gramms of carbs. Lot's of cakes, fruits, etc. So lot's of fast carbs.

On the meantime I do weight training every day and walk 10kms on a treadmill as well.

So my glycogene storages, my liver and muscles are totally depleated after 22 hrs of fasting when I start to eat my dinner.

I never feel anything odd after I ate that much carbs, no sweating, dizziness, I'm not sleepy etc.

I assume if anything was wrong with my pancreas I'd felt something when I eat that much carbs.

The blood test was taken 12 hrs after my huge unhealty night meal.

As you see my glucose level was ok on the test.
But is it normal that my insuline was quite low?

Google is my friend so I found immediately that I have pancreatic deasese, probably cancer...

Joke aside I was wondering if fasting and severe daily workout routines could push my insulin level that low or should I worry?

Thank you for your inputs in advance :)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

bobolysza wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:16 am What scares me is the low insulin level.

Like I said my diet is very special. I'm fasting 22 hrs and eat a big meal in the evening.

Actually the night before the blood test I had a dinner at my grandma and I ate roughly 4-500 gramms of carbs. Lot's of cakes, fruits, etc. So lot's of fast carbs.

On the meantime I do weight training every day and walk 10kms on a treadmill as well.

So my glycogene storages, my liver and muscles are totally depleted after 22 hrs of fasting when I start to eat my dinner.

I never feel anything odd after I ate that much carbs, no sweating, dizziness, I'm not sleepy etc.

I assume if anything was wrong with my pancreas I'd felt something when I eat that much carbs.

But is it normal that my insulin was quite low?
Catherine Crofts PhD (in NZ) did her dissertation studying insulin and Joseph Kraft MD's data looking at 5 hour oral glucose tolerance tests that included an insulin assay. She told me that serum insulin is very pulsatile. Meaning it varies a lot from minute to minute (so not to pay a lot of attention to it). She said a better test would be to eat your carbiest meal and then test your insulin exactly 2 hours after. Essentially an insulin stress test. However, I wouldn't be concerned. Your HbA1C = 37.36 mmol/L 5.62% would be very much higher if your pancreas wasn't making sufficient insulin. Likewise, your 4.22 mmol/L, 76 mg/dL glucose is perfect.

Here is a search on Crofts & Kraft on this site. Catherine happens to be a personal friend.

For more data, you could get a glucometer and test before and 60 minutes after your meals. You'd like to see a rise no more than 1.66 mmol/L (30 mg/dL) at 60 minutes. If it does exceed this, you could experiment with your carb intake to get it below this target.
Tincup
E3,E4
bobolysza
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bobolysza »

Tincup wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:03 am
bobolysza wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:16 am What scares me is the low insulin level.

So my glycogene storages, my liver and muscles are totally depleted after 22 hrs of fasting when I start to eat my dinner.

But is it normal that my insulin was quite low?
Catherine Crofts PhD (in NZ) did her dissertation studying insulin and Joseph Kraft MD's data looking at 5 hour oral glucose tolerance tests that included an insulin assay. She told me that serum insulin is very pulsatile. Meaning it varies a lot from minute to minute (so not to pay a lot of attention to it). She said a better test would be to eat your carbiest meal and then test your insulin exactly 2 hours after. Essentially an insulin stress test. However, I wouldn't be concerned. Your HbA1C = 37.36 mmol/L 5.62% would be very much higher if your pancreas wasn't making sufficient insulin. Likewise, your 4.22 mmol/L, 76 mg/dL glucose is perfect.

Here is a search on Crofts & Kraft on this site. Catherine happens to be a personal friend.

For more data, you could get a glucometer and test before and 60 minutes after your meals. You'd like to see a rise no more than 1.66 mmol/L (30 mg/dL) at 60 minutes. If it does exceed this, you could experiment with your carb intake to get it below this target.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I'll definitely get a glucometer to check my post meal results.

I'm still a bit concerned though... I read lot's of articles where states that A1C should be around 5% but at least 5.3 and everything above 5.7 is likely a pre diabetic state.

Mine is 5.62%

On the meantime the fasting insuline of 1.6 sounds extremely low especially 13hrs after 400-500g carb meal. What contains mostly refined sugars.

But hopefully I'm just very atheletic.

I eat lots of carbs (around 200-250g/day) from fruits and oats, but I always fasting for 22hrs prior that.

So it was hard to believe that I'm pre-diabetic because my pancreas "rests" 22hrs every day.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Starfish77 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:49 pm I was just looking at the Apoe4 site to see how many of the people who were active when I joined and it looks to me as if many of them are still active. Hello to any of you who are members from the early days.

Starfish77
Hi, Starfish! It is so good to hear from you and to know you are still going strong!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health