Lab results. Too good to be true?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
bobolysza
Contributor
Contributor

Lab results. Too good to be true?

Post by bobolysza »

Hello everyone,

My journey started in december when I was informed to be an E3/E4.

Thank God I found this amazing forum and community quite quickly ;)

I received my blood test results today and would like to know what do you think.

I'm very fit, 42yr old, 6 ft (180cm) tall, my weight is 178lbs (80kg). My body fat is extremely low around 5-6%.

I've been fasting for several years, eat one big meal in the evening and fasting 22hrs after that. Due to my heavy and long training sessions (1 hr with weights and 10kms on a treadmill) I eat roughly 300 gramms of carbs a day from oats and fruits.

I keep my fructose intake under 50 gramms because my body can't handle more.

But my liver and muscles need that amount after my workout.

Also I believe that the 120 gramms of oats mixed with the fruit (papaya, berries, passion fruit, pomelo) keep the GI of my meal in a normal level so my body has enough time to absorb everything properly.

It's just a theory so I'm very curious what the blood sugar monitor will tell what @Timcup suggested to me.

I eat very slowly. It takes 2 hrs to finish my meal :)

Bad news is that the result shows my testosterone level is very low so now I will add 50 gramms of good fat (nuts) to my meal. Maybe I'll eat those separately during the day.

I think my fat consumption and also my calorie intake has been unsufficient and that's the issue.

My results otherwise looks ok although my fasting insulin looks extremely low. 1.6...
Not to mention that I ate 400 gramms of fast carbs the night before the test. I visited my grandma where the first rule is to eat all the cakes and fresh cookies :)

Please find my test results below.

Every comment appreciated :)

My HbA1C looks a bit high according to the Bresden protocol but as I read in his book these results depend on the lifespan of the individual's blood cells so it doesn't mean too much.

GGT = 10U/L (reference: <55)

Total Cholesterol = 4.58 mmol/L (ref: < 5.20)

Triglicerids = 0.94 mmol/L (ref: < 1.70)

HDL = 1.33 mmol/L (ref: > 1.05)

LDL = 2.82 mmol/L (ref: < 3.4)

Glucose = 4.22 mmol/L (ref: 4.10 - 5.60)

HbA1C = 37.36 mmol/L (ref: 20 - 42)

HbA1C % = 5.62 (ref: 4 - 6)

B12 = 626 pmol/l (ref: 132 - 652)

Fasting Insulin = < 1.6 mIU/L (ref: 2.6 - 25.00) LOW

Vitamin D = 153 mmol/L (26 - 124) HIGH

Total Testosterone = 8.07 (ref: 8.3 - 30) LOW

DHEA-S = 7.36 umol/L (ref: 3 - 13)

Homocystein = 5.3 umol/L (5.46 - 16.2) LOW
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Lab results. Too good to be true?

Post by floramaria »

bobolysza wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:51 am Hello everyone,

My journey started in december when I was informed to be an E3/E4.

Thank God I found this amazing forum and community quite quickly ;)

I received my blood test results today and would like to know what do you think.

I'm very fit, 42yr old, 6 ft (180cm) tall, my weight is 178lbs (80kg). My body fat is extremely low around 5-6%.

I've been fasting for several years, eat one big meal in the evening and fasting 22hrs after that. Due to my heavy and long training sessions (1 hr with weights and 10kms on a treadmill) I eat roughly 300 gramms of carbs a day from oats and fruits.

I keep my fructose intake under 50 gramms because my body can't handle more.

But my liver and muscles need that amount after my workout.

Also I believe that the 120 gramms of oats mixed with the fruit (papaya, berries, passion fruit, pomelo) keep the GI of my meal in a normal level so my body has enough time to absorb everything properly.

It's just a theory so I'm very curious what the blood sugar monitor will tell what @Timcup suggested to me.

I eat very slowly. It takes 2 hrs to finish my meal :)

Bad news is that the result shows my testosterone level is very low so now I will add 50 gramms of good fat (nuts) to my meal. Maybe I'll eat those separately during the day.

I think my fat consumption and also my calorie intake has been unsufficient and that's the issue.

My results otherwise looks ok although my fasting insulin looks extremely low. 1.6...
Not to mention that I ate 400 gramms of fast carbs the night before the test. I visited my grandma where the first rule is to eat all the cakes and fresh cookies :)

Please find my test results below.

Every comment appreciated :)

My HbA1C looks a bit high according to the Bresden protocol but as I read in his book these results depend on the lifespan of the individual's blood cells so it doesn't mean too much.

GGT = 10U/L (reference: <55)

Total Cholesterol = 4.58 mmol/L (ref: < 5.20)

Triglicerids = 0.94 mmol/L (ref: < 1.70)

HDL = 1.33 mmol/L (ref: > 1.05)

LDL = 2.82 mmol/L (ref: < 3.4)

Glucose = 4.22 mmol/L (ref: 4.10 - 5.60)

HbA1C = 37.36 mmol/L (ref: 20 - 42)

B12 = 626 pmol/l (ref: 132 - 652)

Fasting Insulin = < 1.6 mIU/L (ref: 2.6 - 25.00) LOW

Vitamin D = 153 mmol/L (26 - 124) HIGH

Total Testosterone = 8.07 (ref: 8.3 - 30) LOW

DHEA-S = 7.36 umol/L (ref: 3 - 13)

Homocystein = 5.3 umol/L (5.46 - 16.2) LOW
Hi there! I see no one has replied to this post yet, so I am jumping in. What an interesting program you have developed for yourself!
It would take some time for me to convert the labs you post into the forms I’m accustomed to. I did find in The End of Alzheimer’s Program pg 258 that your fasting glucose is within the range Dr. Bredesen recommends 70-90mg/dL (3.89-5.00 mmol/L). So you are looking good on that one!
Tracking your glucose with a CGM could be interesting. Based on what you wrote above about what you eat, in addition to not getting healthy fats, which you plan to add, it doesn’t sound like you are getting any protein. Are you?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
bobolysza
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bobolysza »

Hi Floramaria,

Thank you for your reply and kind words :)
My daily protein intake is around 80 gramms + 10 gramms of BCAA during workout.
The 80 gramms comes from a pea protein isolate powder. I add that to my oatmeal.

I bought a BGM and my result was the following.

After 22hrs of fasting and prior my meal: 4.3 mmol/l
My meal contained 400 gramms of carbs.
60 min later my glucose level was 5.6
Another 60 min. later it was 5.2

So it seems my body is extremely insulin sensitive. :)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bobolysza wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 am Hi Floramaria,

Thank you for your reply and kind words :)
My daily protein intake is around 80 gramms + 10 gramms of BCAA during workout.
The 80 gramms comes from a pea protein isolate powder. I add that to my oatmeal.

I bought a BGM and my result was the following.

After 22hrs of fasting and prior my meal: 4.3 mmol/l
My meal contained 400 gramms of carbs.
60 min later my glucose level was 5.6
Another 60 min. later it was 5.2

So it seems my body is extremely insulin sensitive. :)
Absolutely! Those are excellent results.
Happy to read that you are getting some protein. I was concerned thinking you were only having oats and fruit!
Even with adding nuts, your protein, without the addition of the pea protein isolate, would have been inadequate.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Overall, great results! However, HbA1c may be one to explore more in depth. Dr. Bredesen considers an HbA1c of 5.7 to be pre-diabetic and encourages maintenance of <5.3 to avoid glycotoxicity. If you're supplementing with vitamin D, you may want to reduce your level a bit. Dr. Bredesen's goal is between 50-80 ng/dL.( And if you are supplementing with D, it's important to take vitamin K2 (100 mcg) to ensure that your calcium is being directed to your bones vs. arteries.)

Finally, if you are 100% plant-based, here's a great article from Dr. Bredesen's team that describes potential nutrient deficiencies that can arise from this eating plan that can actually contribute to AD without careful supplementation.

Keep up the great work. At 42 y/o to be working on prevention, you are an inspiration for your generation!
bobolysza
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bobolysza »

Julie G wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:42 am
Overall, great results! However, HbA1c may be one to explore more in depth. Dr. Bredesen considers an HbA1c of 5.7 to be pre-diabetic and encourages maintenance of <5.3 to avoid glycotoxicity. If you're supplementing with vitamin D, you may want to reduce your level a bit. Dr. Bredesen's goal is between 50-80 ng/dL.( And if you are supplementing with D, it's important to take vitamin K2 (100 mcg) to ensure that your calcium is being directed to your bones vs. arteries.)

Finally, if you are 100% plant-based, here's a great article from Dr. Bredesen's team that describes potential nutrient deficiencies that can arise from this eating plan that can actually contribute to AD without careful supplementation.

Keep up the great work. At 42 y/o to be working on prevention, you are an inspiration for your generation!

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate your help :)

Also thank you for the link!
I'll start to take some vitamin K but the rest is fine (zinc, Omega3, B12, B6, D, Iron etc.)

I totally agree with you. When I saw my results especially the Hb1Ac level
I wondered why my HbA1c would be high while my fasting blood glucose, insulin and lipid profile appeared within normal or in a very good range.

My fasting insulin is extremely low and my fasting glucose is also on the lower limit.
Which means I'm very insulin sensitive. Which is the opposite of being diabetic.

Also my whole lifestyle should protect me from diabetese.

I'm 6ft and 180lbs with 6-7% Body Fat
I'm fasting every day for 22 hrs.
I walk/run 10 miles every day
I lift heavy weights for 60 minutes every day.
My carb intake is high but all coming from natural sources. Even the fast carbs are coming from low-mid GI fruits.

So I did some online research and found a lot of interesting things:

Iron, B12 and Folate deficiency related to false elevated Hb1Ac results.

I'm vegan as we know...

My Iron level was borderline on this recent test so now I started to take two iron tablets a day instead of one.

I found out my APOE 3/4 at the end of December hence I started to optimise my supplement intake after I read Dr.B's book in January.
I bought proper B12 and Folate supplements and started to take much more and better quality Omega3 (Peter Attia's videos helped a lot which form of these are good).

So I think my folate, Omega3 and B12 level was much worse prior January.

Hb1Ac shows the previous 3 months of BG level when my iron, folate and B12 level was much worse.

I was also thinking about the following.
How the hell my Hb1Ac level can be that bad if my fasting glucose is 4.4 in the morning, and I'm fasting all day long. So my 4.4 shouldn't "go" anywhere during the day :D

Ok maybe my BG doesn't go back to normal for a long period after my big meal.
But if this was the case my morning fasting insulin and BG level should be higher.
I usually eat around 10-11pm and the test was taken in the morning, only 8-10hrs after my huge carb intake.

So anyways I did a glucose tolerance test yesterday again.

I ate my big meal with 400 gramms of carbs. Roughly 200g of that was fast sugar.

My fasting glucose prior meal was 4.4 mmol (80mg/dl)
I was eating for 80 minutes. I finished at 11.30pm

60 minutes later at 12.30 my BG was 5.5 = 98mg/dl

at 1.00am : 5.7 = 102

at 1.30am : 5.3 = 95

So my peak was 102 at 90 min which means only a 22 increase from fasting level.

If we check the 120min level only than my BG increment was only 15 from my fasting level.

And we talk about 400 gramms of carbs (200g fast) here. Not the normal 75g carbs what's in the official glucose tolerance test.

So the whole thing just doesn't add up.

My internet searches found there has not been much medical research into athletes’ long-term blood sugar levels. However I discovered a couple of interesting research papers (sorry no references).

My english is not perfect so please allow me to copy what I found:

(I'm very-very curious what do you think about that. :) )

"There is some evidence endurance athletes can have higher HbA1c results than non-athletes; and that athletes who incorporate strength training (e.g. interval work which favours carb metabolisation) can have higher HbA1c than endurance athletes.

One simple explanation for this is that energy demands during exercise - particularly intensive exercise - put glycogen into the blood stream which otherwise would not be there."

"Athletes have a heightened sensitivity to insulin"

From a cyclist forum:

"Average adults have a resting heart rate between 60 to 80 beats per minute. My resting heart rate of 49 bpm at age 44 generally indicates a high stroke-volume efficiency. My blood pressure of 110/75 did not raise red flags. This got me thinking about the metabolic adaptation of athletes"

"A study called Glycaemic Control in Athletes by a group of Italian researchers named Lippi, Montagnana, Salvagno, Franchini and Guidi from the University of Verona in Italy which was first published in 2007 and again in January 2008 in the International Journal of Sports Medicine.

What they found was statistically significant differences in fasting blood glucose and HbA1c between the sedentary group, elite cycling athletes and professional cyclists. Would you like to guess which way the HbA1c of elite athletes differed from the sedentary group? It trended higher at 5.4% than the sedentary group at 5.2% The study did not answer why the cycling athletes had higher HbA1c readings. They did hint that sedentary reference data should not be used to evaluate athletes.

Did the cyclists in Lippi's study have higher HbA1c readings due to some metabolic adaptation where the body makes more glucose available for longer periods to meet the energy demands of their activity or were the readings caused by the cyclists eating larger carbohydrate meals to balance their energy requirements resulting in higher post-prandial blood sugar over time?"

"I have since found this study which shows blood glucose can rise as high as 6.6 to 8.9 mmol/L during recovery from short term, high intensity exercise. As Fast-Twitch muscle fibers are depleted of glycogen during short term, high intensity exercise, the body rapidly resynthesizes glycogen to replenish muscles by raising glucose and insulin levels. How hard you exerted yourself during the exercise affects how high your blood sugar levels rise immediately after."

"Basically, if you exercise hard and are extremely fit for your age group as measured by weight, performance, strength and cardiovascular endurance, the standard laboratory flags of blood test readings may not be applicable. The laboratory's range of acceptable readings do not take into account metabolic adaptations by the intensity and workload of your exercise regimen.

I think one reason athletes have higher HbA1c readings is due to the liver releasing its stores of glycogen during vigorous exercise thereby raising blood sugar to meet energy requirements. When the exercise is intense enough to produce lactic acid in the muscles, the body converts the lactate buildup into glucose via gluconeogenesis which also raises blood sugar especially when the athlete has not eaten prior to the workout. This is known as working out in a fasted state or a fasted workout.

Once the energy demand subsides, the body releases insulin to store the excess sugar which lowers blood sugar once more. This cycle increases the body's sensitivity to insulin; making a person much less likely to become insulin resistant"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I was also thinking about the following.
How the hell my Hb1Ac level can be that bad if my fasting glucose is 4.4 in the morning, and I'm fasting all day long. So my 4.4 shouldn't "go" anywhere during the day :D
Thanks for this level of detail. I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness. It's always frustrating when HbA1c doesn't follow other numbers. I've also researched various reasons for this. The bottom line (just to be sure that this is an outlier) seems to be additional testing which you've started. Are you able to check fructosamine or use a continuous glucose monitor (CGM)?

How long are you exercising each day; how intensely? Typically, we do see an increase in BG during exercise, but it usually declines to lower than baseline within 30-60 mins. so it's difficult to see how that is making a difference unless you're exercising intensely for many hours each day.

Lack of sleep, stress and even eating late at night can also contribute to BG spikes. A CGM can help you catch these if they're occurring. I notice that you're eating all of your calories super late at night. Do you work on the backside of the clock or are you just a night owl?

You're clearly super smart and devoted to optimizing your health. I'm very confident that you'll figure out whatever is contributing to your discordant result.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

bobolysza wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:10 pm How the hell my Hb1Ac level can be that bad if my fasting glucose is 4.4 in the morning, and I'm fasting all day long. So my 4.4 shouldn't "go" anywhere during the day :D
A couple of issues - Why so much fructose? It is not very good for you... https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson2/

Also, you are taking fast carbs, so you should check your BG at 30 minutes as well - you are likely missing your peak.
Sonoma Mike
4/4