HRT for everyone in RECODE?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Kay1855
Contributor
Contributor

HRT for everyone in RECODE?

Post by Kay1855 »

Hello dear members,

I read in one's person notes that on RECODE programme now they are using HRT on everyone despite an age.
Could some with a knowledge comment on this? I am very interested in thinking behind this considering all conflicting studies coming out ( incl Danish study). If anything I am bias towards using it but still very interested in Recode's thinking on that especially in those who are years pass menopause.

Thank you
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: HRT for everyone in RECODE?

Post by Julie G »

I read in one's person notes that on RECODE programme now they are using HRT on everyone despite an age.
Could some with a knowledge comment on this? I am very interested in thinking behind this considering all conflicting studies coming out ( incl Danish study). If anything I am bias towards using it but still very interested in Recode's thinking on that especially in those who are years pass menopause.
To clarify bHRT (the bio-identical version) is often recommended but must be carefully considered in the presence of any hormonally driven cancer. In general, Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Ann Hathaway (his hormone expert) strongly believe that there are benefits to the brain that can aid in preserving cognitive function at any age. Dr. Hathaway spoke to our community several years ago. You can see her lecture here.
Kay1855
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kay1855 »

Thank you Julie! it is very useful video. The only question is left if progesterone is still considered in the absence of uterus. Normally they only prescribe it to support lining of uterus. Does anyone have opinion?

Thank you again
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you Julie! it is very useful video. The only question is left if progesterone is still considered in the absence of uterus. Normally they only prescribe it to support lining of uterus. Does anyone have opinion?
Great question. Yes, progesterone is still included if you've previously had a hysterectomy. Progesterone (at night) is very relaxing and has potent neuro-protective qualities. In fact, many believe that It can and should also be used by men for the same reason.
Kay1855
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kay1855 »

thank you again, Julie!
mardenbrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mardenbrain »

Are any of the women in this group breast cancer survivors? I had a lumpectomy 6 years ago for ER and PR + carcinoma in situ of less than 2 cm diameter, and the oncologist in my health system seems to be able to block primary care, gynecology, and endocrinology from prescribing ERT for my brain, despite being APOE 4,4 with amnestic syndrome precipitated by treatment with estrogen-blocking therapy ( I discontinued this after the onset of short-term memory deficits began). I don’t expect to get improvement in my short-term memory, but had to retire from work over 5 years early.

I really am concerned about not being able to take ERT, despite the relatively small risk of breast cancer recurrence, especially with me on strict Keto diet for almost 6 years. Any thoughts?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

mardenbrain wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:48 pm Are any of the women in this group breast cancer survivors? I had a lumpectomy 6 years ago for ER and PR + carcinoma in situ of less than 2 cm diameter, and the oncologist in my health system seems to be able to block primary care, gynecology, and endocrinology from prescribing ERT for my brain, despite being APOE 4,4 with amnestic syndrome precipitated by treatment with estrogen-blocking therapy ( I discontinued this after the onset of short-term memory deficits began). I don’t expect to get improvement in my short-term memory, but had to retire from work over 5 years early.

I really am concerned about not being able to take ERT, despite the relatively small risk of breast cancer recurrence, especially with me on strict Keto diet for almost 6 years. Any thoughts?
Here's 2 posts on this topic from 2022 by a wonderful member who will be notified that I quoted her:
about this issue. She and others may be able to offer some ideas--and please accept a virtual hug for your strength in dealing with a a diagnosis, surgery, estrogen-blocking therapy, brain fog and an unexpected early retirement. You are a strong woman!!
Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

mardenbrain wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:48 pm Are any of the women in this group breast cancer survivors?

Same situation here… almost six years post lumpectomy, same type of cancer. Dr Hathaway recommended the book, Estrogen Matters. See chapter 6 for breast cancer survivors. After learning everything I possibly could and with a supportive practitioner I made the decision to use BHRT after the surgery. Very low dose at first and now, six years later, I am on what is most likely considered a full dose. That said, my first practitioner retired and it has been difficult to convince my holistic practitioners (I have two) to support me. I have signed a consent with both practitioners stating that I understand the risks and so far so good. But it has been a struggle getting their approval. If you are on ReCODE you should be able to get the consent by calling the Apollo help desk. The hardest part will be finding a practitioner - you will have to research and find someone who will support you. Mainstream medicine and even many holistic practitioners do not yet understand or support the practice of BHRT for BRCA survivors . I am just shy of 6 years cancer free. My personal feeling is that we get so caught up focusing on the breast cancer, that we stop looking at ourselves in totality. I could say so much more but that is enough for now. Warm Regard
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD