Very unexpected diagnose...

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Ursula
New User
New User

Very unexpected diagnose...

Post by Ursula »

I am 36 years old woman. Don't have history of AD in my family (although most of my family died of cancer). I did genetic test out of curiosity and imagine my surprise when I found out that I am carrier of 2 copies of Apoe gene!

Never had any major health issues but I am overweight and working on this for most of my life.

I am a bit overwhelmed with all informations, what to do, what not, blood tests, exercises...

I have been vegeterian for half of my life, very recently added fish to my diet. I am limiting processed food for some time now and eating a lot of veggies.

I have discoveries this forum today, and been reading a lot of threads and the level of self-discipline and all these medical terms and details in diet and exercise regime - is this how my life going to looks like now?

I am sorry if that post is bit of chaotic but it's very fresh for me and I feel a bit lost. Additionally nobody seems to take it seriously saying that we all have high risk and it doesn't mean anything...

I would happy take any advices and apologies for any mistakes - English is not my first language 😅
hollybourne
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Very unexpected diagnose...

Post by hollybourne »

Ursula wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:25 am I am 36 years old woman. Don't have history of AD in my family (although most of my family died of cancer). I did genetic test out of curiosity and imagine my surprise when I found out that I am carrier of 2 copies of Apoe gene!

Never had any major health issues but I am overweight and working on this for most of my life.

I am a bit overwhelmed with all informations, what to do, what not, blood tests, exercises...

I have been vegeterian for half of my life, very recently added fish to my diet. I am limiting processed food for some time now and eating a lot of veggies.

I have discoveries this forum today, and been reading a lot of threads and the level of self-discipline and all these medical terms and details in diet and exercise regime - is this how my life going to looks like now?

I am sorry if that post is bit of chaotic but it's very fresh for me and I feel a bit lost. Additionally nobody seems to take it seriously saying that we all have high risk and it doesn't mean anything...

I would happy take any advices and apologies for any mistakes - English is not my first language 😅
Hi Ursula -

I’m sending a virtual hug to you! My name is Holly and I am a Support Intern on this site and I help welcome new members. First of all I want to recognize your honesty and your courage in sharing your concerns and reaching out to connect. We are glad you are here and welcome you with open arms!

More importantly, I want to asure you that having two copies of Apoe 4 is a risk factor, not a diagnosis. We love the saying here that “genes load the gun, and lifestyle pulls the trigger”. You have many lifestyle factors you can adjust to improve brain health and it sounds like you are being prudent about making some of those changes already. And truly, at the age of 36 you have decades in which your education and healthy lifestyle can reduce your risk well below the statistics quoted for people who are in your parents' and grandparents' generation. Your bilingual skills alone improve cognitive function! And your english is great by the way, no need to apologize.

You mention feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the information and changes one can make. It might help to focus on just one change at a time, moving at the pace that makes you the most comfortable. In time, you will build a body of knowledge and learn through trial and error what lifestyle habits you can adopt and work best for you.

I’d like to provide you a few tips for moving around the site. The How-To Guide includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

You can do some searching on other members’ experiences in Our Stories. Lastly, here is a link with tips for advanced searching on the site.

Ursula, I’m hopeful this community will provide support and valuable and actionable information for your journey. Please reach out anytime.

Kindly,
Holly
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Ursula wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:25 am I am 36 years old woman. Don't have history of AD in my family (although most of my family died of cancer). I did genetic test out of curiosity and imagine my surprise when I found out that I am carrier of 2 copies of Apoe gene!
Everyone has 2 copies of ApoE gene. Do you know what variants you have? Most common is ApoE3. ApoE4 is the one that leads to higher risk for AD. There is also ApoE2 which seems to provide protection.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Ursula
New User
New User

Post by Ursula »

Yes, I have Apoe4 unfortunately...
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Ursula wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:03 am Yes, I have Apoe4 unfortunately...
Another 4/4 like me. Just wanted to make sure. As mentioned earlier, this site has lots of info to learn more about AD and its prevention. Increasing exercise seems to be critical as does getting rid of foods with added sugar / fructose. There are very promising trials going on that should help us 4/4s. Let us know if you have any specific questions.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Ursula,
The first thing to note is that not everyone with 4/4 gets dementia, and some people with 3/3 etc. do get dementia. So it's not a done-deal.
Having said that, you are doing absolutely the right thing, coming on this site and asking for help and working on your lifestyle.
You say you've been eating fairly healthily for a while and limiting processed foods, but you're still overweight, I'm just wondering how your stress is? That could be contributing. Are you managing stress well? I hear you when you say you're overwhelmed with the info, so I understand that this at the moment is stressful, but are you often feeling like this?
Take a look at some of the resources around stress management and give yourself some time to look after yourself every day.
Keep in touch, let us know how you're getting on with looking at the resources and ask again as questions arise
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

Hi Ursula,

I am not qualified to give medical advice, but I do know from personal experience that changing your diet can be a long process, and that the most important thing is listening to your body. What works for me may not always work for you, and what your body needs or tolerates can change over time, too. You don't have to get this perfect right away.

I was a vegetarian for 25 years, and tried being a vegan for just under 2. That experiment made me feel so ill that I started eating more animal products, mostly fish and eggs. (I stopped eating dairy during college). I figured out in grad school that my brain worked best when fed sardines and veggies, and have modified my diet every time something makes me feel bad (no more fruit for me besides lemons and avocados).

Getting rid of sugar and exercising more are a great start.

Good luck with your journey.

Susan