hiya!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
magdalena
New User
New User

hiya!

Post by magdalena »

hello! Im a 44 year old female. I recently went to a longevity doctor to get an extensive blood work done, since my primary doctor sees me for 30 seconds annually and will only take blood to test the basic. I went to this new doctor primarily due to weight gain and my cognitive decline that I noticed but everyone else around me thinks its normal. I'm very in-tune with my body and know when something is wrong. Even my new doctor thought it was just vitamin deficiencies. I received my blood work earlier this week and it turns out I am APOE 4 carrier (one copy). I started reading Dr. Dale Bredesen book almost immodestly and realized I fit pretty much every single box for dementia right now. I have listened to about 10 pod casts so far about APOE4 and my anxiety is through the roof. But at the same time I'm so happy I was able to find out all of this at 44 so I can revers/stop what ever decline is happening to me.

My question is.. (sorry for the long intro!) where do I go from here? If I call my primary doctor, I already know it will go no where unless I'm in my 60's and in full Alzheimers. Are there holistic brain doctors? I looked into Dr. Amen's brain scan, but I don't think I can afford the 5K out of pocket scan. Where do I begin? I want to work with a doctor that is all about prevention and not about throwing me on drugs when the disease kicks in.

I live in Westchester, NY - not far from NYC. If anyone has recommendations on a preventative doctor or where I should start, I would be more than appreciative.
Lyre Taylor
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Re: hiya!

Post by Lyre Taylor »

magdalena wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 am hello! Im a 44 year old female. I recently went to a longevity doctor to get an extensive blood work done, since my primary doctor sees me for 30 seconds annually and will only take blood to test the basic. I went to this new doctor primarily due to weight gain and my cognitive decline that I noticed but everyone else around me thinks its normal. I'm very in-tune with my body and know when something is wrong. Even my new doctor thought it was just vitamin deficiencies. I received my blood work earlier this week and it turns out I am APOE 4 carrier (one copy). I started reading Dr. Dale Bredesen book almost immodestly and realized I fit pretty much every single box for dementia right now. I have listened to about 10 pod casts so far about APOE4 and my anxiety is through the roof. But at the same time I'm so happy I was able to find out all of this at 44 so I can revers/stop what ever decline is happening to me.

My question is.. (sorry for the long intro!) where do I go from here? If I call my primary doctor, I already know it will go no where unless I'm in my 60's and in full Alzheimers. Are there holistic brain doctors? I looked into Dr. Amen's brain scan, but I don't think I can afford the 5K out of pocket scan. Where do I begin? I want to work with a doctor that is all about prevention and not about throwing me on drugs when the disease kicks in.

I live in Westchester, NY - not far from NYC. If anyone has recommendations on a preventative doctor or where I should start, I would be more than appreciative.
Hello Magdalena,
As a support team intern I am happy to welcome you. You have found a supportive community on this site.

I would love for you to check out our Primer. It is a great resource of information about the biochemistry of ApoE4. It offers researched based prevention strategies and was written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4.

The How to Guide will help you learn how to navigate this site. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the ( " ) button when replying to a post. Using this button will automatically alert the member of your response.

You can find other members' experiences in Our Stories.

Here are some tools to find a Bredesen-trained practitioner Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner and ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners

I would also like to assure you that at 44, cognitive decline can be very real, but is often due to causes other than APOE4. This is where our primer becomes very helpful. Some suggestions for topics to look up are insulin resistance, stress, and exercise. Additionally, it may be a good idea for you to discuss this with your ob\gyn, as perimenopause can also cause cognitive issues. I am glad you have joined, please reach out anytime with questions or if you just need support. You are not alone. We are here for you.

Warmly,
Lyre
magdalena
New User
New User

Post by magdalena »

Thank you Lyre, will check out the links today. I've been learning a lot about insulin the last week and making a lot personal changes. Whether it is due to APOE4 or not, I have definitely not been making the right lifestyle choices the last 20 or so years. Hoping some of these changes will bring me back to a good mental state. appreciate it <3
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

magdalena wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 am …… where do I go from here?
HI magdalena, I’m reading through posts today, catching up on ones that I hadn’t seen yet and yours caught my eye. Just wondering how you are doing. It has been a couple of weeks since you first posted. Are you finding information that supports you in your quest for stopping and reversing cognitive decline? I know from experience that it can be overwhelming at first to be exposed to so much information and so many suggestions about how to change your lifestyle. I’m hoping that the resources you have found here on AooE4.Info have helped to calm your anxiety. Let us know if you have any questions.
Best wishes,
floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health