AFIb

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

AFIb

Post by Computer15 »

Does anyone who follows brendensen have recommendations on treating afib? Is medication or ablation better? I know statins are a definite no for 4/4.

Thank you
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: AFIb

Post by Tincup »

Computer15 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:38 pm Does anyone who follows brendensen have recommendations on treating afib? Is medication or ablation better? I know statins are a definite no for 4/4.
Statins won't treat afib, no matter what. Afib is an electrical heart problem, statins are designed to treat the plumbing.

I've had afib for 3.5 months shy of 20 years. After an initial 2.5 month episode 2 month after my first episode, I composed a plan, that was accepted by my electrophysiologist, that I've basically been following since. It has mostly kept afib in remission, with a very low afib burden (time in afib - now below 0.05%) and includes a med I can take to convert to NSR when I do go out of rhythm. As everyone is different, I'm not saying the plan I devised for my circumstances would work for others. Suggestions would vary depending on the circumstances. Are you, or the person with afib in afib all the time? Or do you go in and out? How longstanding is the issue?

The big risks from afib are 1) cardiomyopathy which can lead to heart failure (generally brought on by having too high a heart rate for too long (days & weeks, not hours); 2) stroke caused by the fibrillating atria not moving the blood around fast enough. 1) can be treated with meds that slow heart rate - generally beta or calcium channel blockers. 2) can be treated with "blood thinning" (anticoagulation) drugs to reduce the risk of clots. Chads2Vasc is risk score that indicates your general risk of getting a clot with afib. If you have a score of 0 or 1 you may not need a blood thinner.

There are rhythm meds that can help keep you in rhythm or convert you if you go into afib. These can work well for some folks, but have risks as well. Ablation can be a good tool, but suggest going to the best ablating electrophysiologist you can arrange. I have an opinion of who I think is best.

Some choose just to tread the cardiomyopathy risk and the stroke risk and live their lives in afib. Others choose meds and/or ablation. It really depends on the situation.
Tincup
E3,E4
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

Thank you! Please share who you think is the best ablating electrophysiologist?
My Apple Watch has been saying I am in afib less than 2% then it says less than 4% so I spoke with a cardiologist and they said no amount of time in afib is good. I do not currently take any medications and would not want to start, plus I know some drugs can make the risk of Alzheimer’s higher for 4/4.
Could you please share with me the best brand of ketone salt or ester to help get me in ketosis and if you have a book Recommendations to help with diet and food options that would be amazing. I feel like brendensen doesn’t give enough info regarding what to eat and what not to eat. Also the most recommended supplements a 4/4 should be taking?

Thank you so much! Just trying to navigate all of this with very little time, as I work full time have four kiddos and take care of my mom who has dementia.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Computer15 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:24 pm Thank you! Please share who you think is the best ablating electrophysiologist?
The best ablating EP is Andrea Natale in Austin. As you might expect, it will take a while to get a consult and to schedule an ablation.

This is a very good afib message board.

If you wonder why I've suggested Dr. Natale or the very best, Read this post from the afib board.

Given your low afib burden (2-4%), you don't likely need to worry about cardiomyopathy, at this time. If your burden increases materially, it may be time to revisit this. Likewise, at your relatively young age, I assume your CHADS2VASC score is <2 and you don't need to worry about anticoagulation, again at this time.
My Apple Watch has been saying I am in afib less than 2% then it says less than 4% so I spoke with a cardiologist and they said no amount of time in afib is good. I do not currently take any medications and would not want to start, plus I know some drugs can make the risk of Alzheimer’s higher for 4/4.
While not the only part of my protocol, electrolytes, especially magnesium has been key. You could try taking magnesium glycinate to bowel tolerance and see if that makes a difference. Start low (say 200 mg/day of magnesium) and slowly increase till you notice your bowels starting to get loose, then back off just a bit. I assume your kidneys are in good shape (true for anyone taking electrolyte supplements).
Could you please share with me the best brand of ketone salt or ester to help get me in ketosis and if you have a book

Caprylic acid (C8) forms of MCT oil are probably the cheapest. If you salts, this website is associated with ketone researcher, Dom D'Agostino PhD. I don't use ketone supplements, but I trust D'Agostino.
Recommendations to help with diet and food options that would be amazing. I feel like brendensen doesn’t give enough info regarding what to eat and what not to eat.
Chapters 7 & 8 of Bredesen's "End of Alzheimer's Program" book address this.
Also the most recommended supplements a 4/4 should be taking?
See chapter 21 of End of Alzheimer's Program" book.
Tincup
E3,E4
DDorans
Contributor
Contributor

AFIb

Post by DDorans »

If you live on the east coast Mass General has an outpatient arrhythmia department with top cardiologists who do ablations. People come from all over to see them. My daughter works as a PA there and highly recommends them. She sees very good outcomes.
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

Tincup wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:16 am
Computer15 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:24 pm Thank you! Please share who you think is the best ablating electrophysiologist?
The best ablating EP is Andrea Natale in Austin. As you might expect, it will take a while to get a consult and to schedule an ablation.

Thank you good to know in case I need it. I do not plan on taking any medications unless I absolutely will die without them.

This is a very good afib message board.

If you wonder why I've suggested Dr. Natale or the very best, Read this post from the afib board.

Given your low afib burden (2-4%), you don't likely need to worry about cardiomyopathy, at this time. If your burden increases materially, it may be time to revisit this. Likewise, at your relatively young age, I assume your CHADS2VASC score is <2 and you don't need to worry about anticoagulation, again at this time.
While not the only part of my protocol, electrolytes, especially magnesium has been key. You could try taking magnesium glycinate to bowel tolerance and see if that makes a difference. Start low (say 200 mg/day of magnesium) and slowly increase till you notice your bowels starting to get loose, then back off just a bit. I assume your kidneys are in good shape (true for anyone taking electrolyte supplements).

May I ask what other electrolytes you take and the brand. I already take magnesium 1 capsule a day 420 mg. I can try taking two pills daily.
Could you please share with me the best brand of ketone salt or ester to help get me in ketosis and if you have a book

Caprylic acid (C8) forms of MCT oil are probably the cheapest. If you salts, this website is associated with ketone researcher, Dom D'Agostino PhD. I don't use ketone supplements, but I trust D'Agostino.

The reason I ask is because I have been taking the MCT oil but have backed off on the amount bc my total cholesterol and LDL is a little high already and I have read MCT can increase it. I am struggling to get into ketosis and if I do get there is 0.4 and I should be at 4. I do not eat any processed foods and try to maintain a healthy balanced diet of mainly veggies/salad with some fruit and protein. Any advice on getting into keto sis would be amazing.
Recommendations to help with diet and food options that would be amazing. I feel like brendensen doesn’t give enough info regarding what to eat and what not to eat.
Chapters 7 & 8 of Bredesen's "End of Alzheimer's Program" book address this.

I will reread these chapters
Also the most recommended supplements a 4/4 should be taking?
See chapter 21 of End of Alzheimer's Program" book.
Also will reread this one as well.

I had all the testing done and found a little high cholesterol, hormones off, gut test showed that my body was not absorbing protein and I had minimal acid in my gut. How do I know which type I am hot, cold, or toxic? I believe this is helpful in determining what supplements to take also.

Thank you so much for the help.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Computer15 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:39 pm
. Hi Computer15, Have you considered a PreCODE subscription on Apollo Health? Having your lab work entered there would provide a report that shows you which subtype you are. It would also help you to prioritize where to focus your attention, give you supplement recommendations, and also give you access to all of the information on the Apollo Health website. You also would be able to submit questions to Dr. Bredesen for the monthly Participant Town Halls.
You can follow Dr Bredesen’s protocol well on your own with the information in his books, but if you are looking for more individualized recommendations, a PreCODE account might be worth considering.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

I would love to but it’s pricey. I have four kids and life in general is super expensive. Plus they make you pay for an entire year.