Omega 3

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Omega 3

Post by Computer15 »

Hi can someone please share the best brand and how much omega 3 should be taken daily for 4/4.

Thank you
Computer 15
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Omega 3

Post by TheresaB »

Computer15 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:24 pm Hi can someone please share the best brand and how much omega 3 should be taken daily for 4/4.

I can’t believe no one has responded! Placing importance on Omega-3 consumption is one of the incontrovertible tenants for ApoE4s! It’s a little disconcerting if no one else has knowledge on this. This is a very salient question, which I’m glad you asked.

Simple answer to your question:
My doctor’s advice to me was to take a fish oil supplement that contains a high amount of DHA such that the DHA component intake of the fish oil adds up to at least 1000 mg. (Not that the fish oil pill that is 1000 mg, look at the make up of the pill and how much DHA is in one pill) I take OmegaVia brand fish oil (as recommended by my doctor) and Approved Science brand Krill Oil, both of which are high in DHA.

A little more elaboration to answer your question.
Recognize that results may vary. For example, the amount of supplementation for me is different than my husband’s for the same result.

It would be very helpful to have an Omega-3 Index taken. An Red Blood Cell count (RBC) test is best as it is a two or so month average. A serum test is almost worthless as it is just a one point-in-time snapshot. there are many options to get this test. You might investigate OmegaQuant.

An RBC Omega-3 index of 8-10 is good for most people, but for ApoE4s, a recommendation of over 10 is better for us, shoot for around 11-12.

In addition to supplementing with Omega-3s, watch your Omega-6 intake. Just supplementing with Omega-3 is not enough. Both Omega-3s and Omega-6s compete for the same conversion enzymes and if not taken in the right ratio, the Omega-6s will beat out the Omega-3s. Plus Omega-6s are inflammatory, something else ApoE4s don’t need any extra help with. Dr Bredesen advises an Omega-6 to Omega -3 ratio from 1:1 to 4:1

Yet more elaboration.
Eat seafood. I think at least three times a week is a good rule of thumb for 4s. The best fish to consume are sustainably sourced, chock-full of omega-3s, and wild-caught (except farmed muscles, scallops, and clams, they are not fed anything). (Also shellfish, including wild caught shrimp, crab, etc. have the extra advantage of having huge amounts of sterols that actually block and compete with the absorption of cholesterol.)

The fish that Americans love tend to be the least nutritious, like tilapia and farmed catfish, they’re pale, mild-tasting, and lowest in omega 3s. Beware of larger fish, like swordfish, tuna, etc, they are higher on the oceanic food chain and as a result they accumulate more mercury, PCBs, and other toxins. SMASH fish are recommended, Salmon, Mackeral, Anchovie, Sardines and Herring (SMASH).

But wait, there’s more. Dr Rhonda Patrick recommends the phospholipid form of DHA for ApoE4s. She’s found that ApoE4 carriers appear to have impaired brain transport of free DHA. Phospolipid DHA is found in fish (not fish oil supplements or algal oil). She recommends fish roe as the best source of phospholipid DHA. Krill oil also has the phospholipid form of DHA.

For a more in-depth discussion on this subject, there is the ApoE4.info wiki Fats, Omega -3(ω-3) & -6(ω-6), DHA and More which includes lots of information supported by references on why Omega-3s are important for ApoE4s, strategies for increasing Omega-3s, balancing the Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio, phospholipid DHA, etc.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

But wait, there’s more. Dr Rhonda Patrick recommends the phospholipid form of DHA for ApoE4s. She’s found that ApoE4 carriers appear to have impaired brain transport of free DHA. Phospolipid DHA is found in fish (not fish oil supplements or algal oil). She recommends fish roe as the best source of phospholipid DHA. Krill oil also has the phospholipid form of DHA.
Just adding to Theresa's post that Rhonda Patrick also recommends DHA in tryglycerides form (like from Metagenics) and to look for an omega source recognized by the IFOS.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

Thank you for the information but these post are a bit overwhelming and confusing. Could you please share the brand of omega three recommended and the amount I should be taking and phospholipid DHA w Tryglycerides. There are so many supplements that are not very good and honestly with 4 kids working full time and taking care of my mom with dementia I just do not have the time to spend hours researching all this. It’s quite honestly overwhelming.
Thank you for your help and support.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Computer15 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:24 am Thank you for the information but these post are a bit overwhelming and confusing. Could you please share the brand of omega three recommended and the amount I should be taking and phospholipid DHA w Tryglycerides. There are so many supplements that are not very good and honestly with 4 kids working full time and taking care of my mom with dementia I just do not have the time to spend hours researching all this. It’s quite honestly overwhelming.
It's not that easy, as members are not looking to advertise and promote brands and there are several options and approaches that are all valid. But to try to give you a place to start:

For Phospholipid form, you can eat salmon roe or try ProdromeNeuro (there are other brands out there too). The Prodrome Store will give you a 25% discount with code APOE4GROUP25 at checkout.

For Trygliceride form, there are many brands. One of them is Metagenics' Omegagenics Neuro 1000.

You want to prioritize phospholipid, if you can. Again, these are just two examples of many, many options.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Computer15 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:24 am Thank you for the information but these post are a bit overwhelming and confusing. Could you please share the brand of omega three recommended and the amount I should be taking and phospholipid DHA w Tryglycerides. There are so many supplements that are not very good and honestly with 4 kids working full time and taking care of my mom with dementia I just do not have the time to spend hours researching all this. It’s quite honestly overwhelming.
I remember having three kids at home, working full-time and taking care of my mom with dementia--and I didn't have time to breathe some days! So no apologies for wanting to skip the Ph.D in nutrition or 5 others areas. Here's what I did: I used this resource, coauthored by Dr. Richard Isaacson, who founded the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell Medical Center in NYC and believes strongly in the ability of people to take charge of their prevention with info Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers Here's what they say about DHA:
Fatty fish are a final important part of Mediterranean diets, with wild salmon, mackerel, and sardines being perhaps the most healthful and available....Thus, it is possible that DHA targets pathways adversely affected in ApoE4 carriers and may prevent DAM-mediated inflammation and pericyte dysfunction leading to BBB breakdown.

DHA dose and timing also matter. ApoE4 carriers may need higher DHA doses because they β-oxidize DHA at greater rates than non-carriers [123]. In addition, carriers are more likely to exhibit BBB[blood-brain barrier] dysfunction [21] that can impair DHA delivery to the brain [124]. These two factors may explain why some (but not all) studies have found a negative association between fatty fish intake and the development of AD in the general population, while no association was observed in ApoE4 carriers [125]. Importantly, a PET imaging study performed on young (mean age 35) healthy individuals observed a 16% increase in DHA incorporation into whole brain gray matter, with a 34% increase in the entorhinal cortex, in ApoE4 carriers as compared to non-carriers. This was hypothesized to be a compensatory mechanism for increased DHA utilization and increased metabolic demands also observed in carriers [126]. Thus, those wishing to adopt a conservative approach may choose to consume more than the standard recommendation of two servings of fatty fish per week and may opt to additionally supplement (see below)
At the end of the main articles are handy tables summarizing recommendations.

FWIW, I use two different brands to get to near the recommended 2g/day of DHA:
  • Carlson Norwegian Fish Oil Concentrate: Super DHA 500mg DHA gems
with 500 mg DHA and 100 mg EOA in each gel pill and
  • Organa Essentials Icelandic Omega 3 "Peak Wellness Complex Natural triglyceride format" with 620 DHA and 820 EPA.
Between those and salmon and some tuna, I'm hoping to keep my brain happy! But lots of paths to a happy brain--the biggest of which is taking time for yourself in a life filled with other people's demands on you!

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

Nancy,
You are like a breath of fresh air. Thank you so much for this information.

Do you have a list of acceptable foods to eat for 4/4? I read that coconut oil/mct oil is not good for 4/4 based on dr gundry but I am having trouble getting into ketosis. My insulin is also high for fasting and I fast for 14-16 hours and do not eat any processed carbs like break or pasta or rice oats. I only get my carbs from starchy veggie and fruit.

I had all the testing done and I have issues with low testosterone and progesterone so I started those my cortisol is off the charts which is not surprising at this stage in my life. my total cholesterol/ldl was a little high. My gut test showed I do not absorb protein well and have low stomach acid but no inflammation.

I did just take the surviving mold vision test and failed in both eyes so now I will be diving into that a bit more.

Any advice or help you can offer I would be so grateful. My mom is only 72 and full onset of dementia it’s so incredibly heartbreaking and I want to be present for my kids and grandbabies but most importantly I want a different ending to my story, than my moms. I am 41 and already experiencing some symptoms so I am just trying to follow the protocol without breaking the bank and I feel like it’s so hard to do it all when I have such limited time each day.

I appreciate your help and support