Bryan Johnson & His Longevity Protocol

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Bryan Johnson & His Longevity Protocol

Post by Jan18 »

Not AD-specific, but of longevity interest. Is anyone aware of Bryan Johnson and his studies on longevity (on himself?) Just curious. Saw Dr. Joel Kahn interview him and it was all new to me.

And does anyone know why his face and neck are spotted (at least in one video I saw.)

He's the guy who "flipped Venmo for $800M" and spends $2M a year on his personal health studies. Not sure what to think of this guy.

Thanks.
Jay Ess
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bryan Johnson & His Longevity Protocol

Post by Jay Ess »

He has some good advice. I started eating lentils because of him, so I owe him that. Frankly, his approach is expensive and very supplement heavy, and he doesn't always detail what specific supplements and foods helped to address what specific biomarkers, which makes the advice less useable than that of (say) Michael Lustgarten, who goes into tons of detail as to what he is doing and why. The bottom line for me is that his approach is a good starting point if you are looking for possible foods or health interventions you could add, but I think trying to copy him exactly would be a big challenge.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Jay Ess wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:29 am He has some good advice. I started eating lentils because of him, so I owe him that. Frankly, his approach is expensive and very supplement heavy, and he doesn't always detail what specific supplements and foods helped to address what specific biomarkers, which makes the advice less useable than that of (say) Michael Lustgarten, who goes into tons of detail as to what he is doing and why. The bottom line for me is that his approach is a good starting point if you are looking for possible foods or health interventions you could add, but I think trying to copy him exactly would be a big challenge.
Thanks, Jay. I know his approach is pretty extreme. Wonder if even he will maintain it forever.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Dr. Peter Attia's book, Outlive-The Science and Art of Longevity , published in 2023 is an excellent read on this subject.

"#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • A groundbreaking manifesto on living better and longer that challenges the conventional medical thinking on aging and reveals a new approach to preventing chronic disease and extending long-term health, from a visionary physician and leading longevity expert."
JNB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNB »

Jan18 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:47 am Not AD-specific, but of longevity interest. Is anyone aware of Bryan Johnson and his studies on longevity (on himself?) Just curious. Saw Dr. Joel Kahn interview him and it was all new to me.
Yes sometimes I keep an eye on him,
I checked his lipid levels, and found it interesting that he is not bothered about his low triglycerides.
BJ.jpg
I found some studies saying that higher triglycerides may be protective.
But I guess it might be just a track of APOE2 (low LDL, higher triglycerides, higher BMI)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JNB
ApoE 4/4, Male, Age 40+
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

JNB wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:12 pm [
Yes sometimes I keep an eye on him,
I checked his lipid levels, and found it interesting that he is not bothered about his low triglycerides.
BJ.jpg
I found some studies saying that higher triglycerides may be protective.
But I guess it might be just a track of APOE2 (low LDL, higher triglycerides, higher BMI)
JNB, how low are his triglycerides? Last labs showed mine at 66. Do I need to worry? I thought that was good, no? My glucose is usually 80-83, sometimes in high 70's. A1C 5.1.
JNB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNB »

Jan18 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 pm
JNB, how low are his triglycerides? Last labs showed mine at 66. Do I need to worry? I thought that was good, no? My glucose is usually 80-83, sometimes in high 70's. A1C 5.1.
Hi, I took his lipid levels from
https://protocol.bryanjohnson.com/Home
His
triglycerides are at 55
LDL 74 (very low)
HDL 73
Total Cholesterol 158

My last numbers
Total cholesterol 4.51mmol/l - 174.4mg/dl
HDL 1.46mmol/l - 56.5mg/dl
LDL 2.77mmol/l - 107.12mg/dL
Triglycerides 0.696mmol/l - 61.12mg/dL

I suspect LDL is the key to support hormonal and immune system functions (when body runs on glucose) yet it might impair autophagy (body's auto repair system) and drain the body faster.
I don't see glucose as culprit of all problems.
We probably don't need to run high on hormones and fueling erratic immune system (in current sterile modern world) all the time and have no space to repair ourselves.
The key is balance.

When it comes to lipid profiles I look at these curves

NOTE that cardiovascular mortality goes inversely with non-cardiovascular
JNB
ApoE 4/4, Male, Age 40+