My p-tau 181 results and tracking efforts

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
nunchers
Contributor
Contributor

My p-tau 181 results and tracking efforts

Post by nunchers »

I'm APOE4/4, 45 years old, male. I've decided to start tracking my p-tau and trying interventions like rapamycin, semaglutide, supplements, etc to see if i can lower the number. here's a CNN article i posted to the forum the other day about a guy who goes to a fancy clinic where they track and try to lower p-tau:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/18/health/a ... index.html

I'm posting my results in case anyone has any thoughts about them and also to encourage other folks to track and post their results if that sounds like something you might be interested in doing! I know for some people tracking causes more stress but for me, I feel better knowing and trying to do something. i'm also interested in having a private email list or discord for folks like me who want to try things and share results.

as for my results-- it's a little scary to see myself above the normal range even though im still in my 40's and am generally very healthy, but i read more about it and i think this number is not too bad. this result is from Quest but the normal range for the same test at Labcorp is <0.95 so i think im on the high side of normal for now.

the test i got is p-tau 181 but p-tau 217 is actually more accurate in terms of predicting brain pathology and is becoming more available so i will probably get 217 the next time i test and then going forward.

Hazel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My p-tau 181 results and tracking efforts

Post by Hazel »

Hi nunchers,
Awesome! I love that the CNN article/special motivated you to follow suit.

I would be very interested to be included in a group that was experimenting with various interventions and discussing results. I’m tracking many things (food, deep (and other) sleep, exercise, supplements, blood work), but not yet p-tau. Although I, too, wanted to get more brain health specific testing after reading that article. I’m a 46 year old woman apoe 4/3. I’m in Canada, and so will have to explore how to get access to that testing from here.

I’ll be following this thread to see what others have to say in response to your message too.
Hazel :)
HelenOwens
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Post by HelenOwens »

Hazel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:14 pm Hi nunchers,
Awesome! I love that the CNN article/special motivated you to follow suit.

I would be very interested to be included in a group that was experimenting with various interventions and discussing results. I’m tracking many things (food, deep (and other) sleep, exercise, supplements, blood work), but not yet p-tau. Although I, too, wanted to get more brain health specific testing after reading that article. I’m a 46 year old woman apoe 4/3. I’m in Canada, and so will have to explore how to get access to that testing from here.

I’ll be following this thread to see what others have to say in response to your message too.
Hazel :)

Hello Hazel

As a Support Team Intern, I’d like to welcome you to the Forum! You have come to the right place to find support in a community of others who are seeking prevention and mitigation strategies. You will find many shared experiences with various interventions and discussion on Prevention and Treatment and Our Stories, as you’ve already done to find this discussion topic!

It’s wonderful that you’ve been taking a proactive approach to your health by tracking bloodwork and lifestyle factors within your control. Adding the element of community and learning from discussion and gaining more insight and data from testing will help you further hone your strategies. It can also, however, be overwhelming. Give yourself grace and consider what is most important to you and what is manageable to start with.

I’d also like to share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience here on the Forum. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

The search bar (under your username) is particularly helpful if you have a specific topic in mind.

Wiki Main Page contains a wealth of information.

We’re glad you’re here and hope that you find comfort in knowing that you are not alone, especially as you find or follow group discussions that most resonate with where you are.

Warmly,
Helen
Helen
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi everyone. I've been trying to untangle access to these tests in my area. So, in case it helps:

These test are available through Quest Diagnostics, the side of Quest that does testing for medical offices. You need a doctor to order the tests. I assume this means the results go to your medical record, and pass through the insurance company's process. They are not currently available via Quest Health, their direct-to-consumer side.

There are two separate websites, which look the same but are not. It's quite frustrating to see the test on one and not be able to access it on the other - it is really like a cognitive test that I kept failing. I thought it was me.

I will keep investigating...
nunchers
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nunchers »

To get my test I had to ask my doctor. She was like "we dont really do this but if you want to, ok" and gave me the lab slip. They haven't billed me yet, so I have no idea if insurance is going to cover it (I assume not).

And here's the Labcorp page for p-tau 217:

https://www.labcorp.com/tests/484390/ph ... 217-plasma

It doesn't seem like they allow consumers to order this directly. I believe that there will be more direct-to-consumer services coming soon that will offer 217.