Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by Maria4/4 »

Lulu wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:57 am Very good information to consider, Susan, thank you! I'm going to look into doing the Genova Profile, and see where I stand. I do eat a very healthy diet with lots of fiber, so I assume I would have a good report, but you just never know till you test.

Right now, I'm just hoping I haven't done too much damage with these supplements. I was having occasional issues with equilibrium and nausea (and some facial tingling), and it was happening after popping my supps, so that is why I connected the supps with the symptoms. Very scary. I see the cardiologist today, thankfully. I'm also reading that people can be increasing their TMAO levels with diet and supplements and be completely asymptomatic for a long time. Also scary.

Thanks again for you input, very helpful.

Lulu
Hi Lulu,

Thanks for the useful information you posted. I am so sorry about my confusion regarding the study (mouses/humans).

How was your visit to the cardiologist? Are you still having these scary symptoms?

Maria 4/4
2lennons
New User
New User

Post by 2lennons »

JulieMorris
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Post by JulieMorris »

2lennons wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:42 pm does not raise tmao
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8410632/
Hi 2lennons-
Hello! I'm a support team intern, and I'd like to welcome you to this site! You have found a very supportive community here. Thanks so much for sharing this very interesting study concluding that 4 eggs a day did not raise TMAO the way choline supplements did. There's another wonderful example of how whole foods are the best source of nutrients!

Since this is your first post, it would be a great idea to take a look at our Primer. It is an incredible resource of information about the biochemistry of ApoE4. It also offers researched-based prevention strategies and was written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4. Do not become overwhelmed with all the information. Sometimes it is best to slowly read through it, decide which section resonates with you, and focus on that area first.

The How-To Guide will help you learn how to navigate this site. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

You can find other members' experiences in Our Stories. Sometimes reading the stories of others helps us realize that we are not alone.

I'm so glad you have joined us on this site, and appreciate you sharing the article. I hope you continue to use your love of learning and share what you learn with us. Please feel free to reach out anytime with questions or if you just need support. You are not alone. We are here for you.

Take care and keep researching,
Julie
PhD in Speech-Language Pathology
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Interested in all things brain-related
EA1979
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EA1979 »

I take CDP-Choline, which evidence indicates is less likely to raise your TMAO. I have not tested mine however, so I can't verify personally. Hope that helps!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6683073/
Hazel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hazel »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with phosphatidylcholine (PC) because it's had a surprisingly positive impact on my sleep patterns, as tracked by my Apple Watch. Before starting PC, I was averaging about 30 minutes of deep sleep each night for the first 8 months of wearing the watch. I've read comparisons suggesting the Apple Watch is the most accurate sleep tracking watches available. However, after my functional medicine doctor recommended PC supplementation, I've noticed a significant improvement. Over the past 2 months, my average deep sleep has increased to around 40 minutes per night, along with a boost in alertness and energy levels.

A little about my background: I'm a 46 year old woman, APOE4/3 carrier, thin, mostly vegetarian, have a diet rich in vegetables with little to no dairy or eggs. While I have very low blood pressure (particularly low diastolic BP) and resting heart rate, I've had experiences with insulin resistance and hypoglycaemia throughout my adulthood. Although I'd be somewhat surprised to find elevated blood lipids at this stage, I plan to discuss this with my doctor and request relevant tests.

Overall, phosphatidylcholine has felt like a game-changer for me, and I'm eager to hear about others' experiences with it.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts about this,

Hazel
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hazel wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:00 pm Hi everyone,
I wanted to share my experience with phosphatidylcholine (PC) because it's had a surprisingly positive impact on my sleep patterns…….
Overall, phosphatidylcholine has felt like a game-changer for me, and I'm eager to hear about others' experiences with it.
HI Hazel, How exciting that PC has had a positive impact on your sleep. Sleep is such a difficult area for many people. It is really interesting that it has increased your Deep Sleep.
I take PC sporadically, and also struggle with poor sleep sporadically. I had never considered doing a test to see whether PC correlated with better sleep. Now that I’ve read your post, I’m going to pay attention to that.
Do you take PC in the evening? At bedtime? What form or brand do you take and how much?
thanks!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Hazel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hazel »

HI Hazel, How exciting that PC has had a positive impact on your sleep. Sleep is such a difficult area for many people. It is really interesting that it has increased your Deep Sleep.
I take PC sporadically, and also struggle with poor sleep sporadically. I had never considered doing a test to see whether PC correlated with better sleep. Now that I’ve read your post, I’m going to pay attention to that.
Do you take PC in the evening? At bedtime? What form or brand do you take and how much?
thanks!
Hi Floramaria,
Thanks for your reply! I use a Canadian brand: Natural Factors. I take 2 Phosphatidyl choline 420mg caps in the morning with breakfast. My APOE4/3 carrier sister tried it and it made her deep sleep worse, actually. So, I don't think it's for everyone. As I say, my functional medicine doctor thought I would benefit from it--lost try of why. Let me know if it helps you! Do you track your sleep stages?
Hazel
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Phosphatidylcholine is super important for brain health, specifically in regulating the cell membranes, but it's not a good source of choline. Because there's only around 13% choline in phosphatidylcholine, I supplement both. Anybody else?
EA1979
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EA1979 »

Phosphatidylcholine is super important for brain health, specifically in regulating the cell membranes, but it's not a good source of choline. Because there's only around 13% choline in phosphatidylcholine, I supplement both. Anybody else?
You probably already know this, but not all phosphatidylcholine is the same...it contains choline along with attached fatty acids. If those fatty acids are Omega-3's, then they are useful to your brain. But the fatty acids in lecithin are not Omega-3's and so don't have the same benefits.

Like I said in an earlier post, I take citocholine b/c there is some evidence that it has less impact on TMAO.

Thanks!
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

Julie G wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:25 am Phosphatidylcholine is super important for brain health, specifically in regulating the cell membranes, but it's not a good source of choline. Because there's only around 13% choline in phosphatidylcholine, I supplement both. Anybody else?
Hi Julie,

I take citicoline and also garlic to reduce TMAO production (a recommendation of Andrew Huberman).

You mentioned you supplement both. This means you take phosphatidylcoline and citicoline?

Thanks,
Maria 4/4