Klotho - rs9536314

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Klotho - rs9536314

Post by Plumster »

Hi Kcomplex,

Like you, I would love to know but don't have access through my 2017 23andme raw data nor my Promethease. (Not tech savvy either.)
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Sorry to hear that the more current 23andme results do not give the klotho information. I did my genetic testing on 23andme several years ago, and uploaded that data to the promethease site again last year. I was able to easily get my klotho variant results this time, and thankfully, I have the protective heterzygous klotho variant. But I truly believe that whether you have the protective variant of Klotho or not, if you have a copy of Apoe4, you still need to pay close attention to optimal diet, exercise, sleep and stress in your life.

Lulu
Apoe 3/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Yeah, I just heard on a Peter Attia podcast that it can only be done with whole genome sequencing at this point, because no one has yet made a test for this SNP. It sounded like it might happen relatively soon though.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

mike wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:14 pm Yeah, I just heard on a Peter Attia podcast that it can only be done with whole genome sequencing at this point, because no one has yet made a test for this SNP. It sounded like it might happen relatively soon though.
Hi Mike,

Yeah, I listened to the entire podcast, and heard Attia say this too. But I was scratching my head, because my klotho results were very clear on my promethease report. So, either Attia doesn't know about this, or the promethease report is flawed. Interesting.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

This is a very encouraging article regarding Klotho. Whether you have the protective variant or not, you can increase upregulation of Klotho by aerobic exercise (intermittent or continuous).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6143843/

"In conclusion, the present results suggest that exercise could delay aging and extend life span by increasing the expression of the Klotho gene in rat brain and kidney tissues. Increased Klotho protein expression is beneficial for the elimination of ROS damage to the body, delaying aging and improving various body functions. These findings support as association among the Klotho gene, aerobic exercise and aging. As Klotho exhibits a potential anti-aging effect, promoting Klotho expression through aerobic exercise may be a novel approach for the prevention and treatment of aging and aging-related diseases. In addition, these results provide support for physical exercise being good for health"
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

kcomplex wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:45 pm Hello and pleased to meet you.

I'm APOE 4/4 and I'm interested to know if anyone in this group managed to find a genetic testing service that definitely covers rs9536314's genotype because 23andme used has stopped for some stupid reason and I can't gain access to the information needed in my raw data.

20% of apoe4 carriers are protected by some versions of this gene so I think it's pretty important to know whether one is one of them and how to find out. Hope someone can help or has advice. Thanks.

Sean

For those interested in knowing your Klotho status, I have found that the dna data from Ancestry includes it. I ordered an AncestryDNA kit for $59 to learn more about my heritage. After downloading the raw data and uploading to Promethease, I see there is the added bonus of rs9536314.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
bigbrainE3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bigbrainE3/4 »

Yeah, 23andMe won't get your Klotho status - I had to get whole genome sequencing (used Nebula genomics). Sadly was not heterozygous.
JulieMorris
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Post by JulieMorris »

bigbrainE3/4 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:46 pm Yeah, 23andMe won't get your Klotho status - I had to get whole genome sequencing (used Nebula genomics). Sadly was not heterozygous.
Hi bigbrainE3/4-
Hello! I'm a support team intern, and I'd like to welcome you to this site! You have found a very supportive community here. Thanks for posting that 23andMe won't cover Klotho. This is a hot topic in our community, with people wanting to know their status as it relates to reduced risk. Although you were not heterozygous, you are obviously gifted with a love of learning and self-determination, which both assist you in pursuing ways to reduce your risk. I'm sure you are already aware of the countless ways to manage your health, including nutrition and movement, but it might be a good idea to take a look at our Primer. It is an incredible resource of information about the biochemistry of ApoE4. It also offers researched-based prevention strategies and was written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4. It has a ton of information, so it is often best to slowly read through it, decide which section resonates with you, and focus on that area first.

Thank you for the additional information you posted on the 3 AD-Detect tests. We appreciate you doing the legwork and making the options for testing clear for other members. Here is a link to some additional information on SNPs related to APOE4: SNPs

If you're interested, the How-To Guide will help you learn how to navigate this site. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

You can find other members' experiences in Our Stories. Sometimes reading the stories of others helps us realize that we are not alone.

I'm so glad you have joined us on this site, and I appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge regarding testing. Please feel free to reach out anytime with questions or if you just need support. You are not alone. We are here for you.

Take care,
Julie
PhD in Speech-Language Pathology
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Interested in all things brain-related
kayakmac08
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kayakmac08 »

Hello! Not sure if anyone else mentioned this (I didn't read through the prior messages very thoroughly), but Ancestry DNA's raw data (at least the kits that they were using c. 2017) include Klotho. Here's my result:

rs9536314 13 33628138 T G

:D As a 4/4, I'll take what I can get!!!

I was able to triangulate the G to my dad with some sleuthing based around my inheritance of other alleles that I know I got from him and not Mom. He's lucky that, as a 3/4, it really drops his AD risk. And it explains why so many of the men in his family make it into their 90s, often without AD.

As for Attia's comment on whole genome sequencing, I'm not sure he still holds to that idea. Check out Drive Episode #303, with Dr. Dena Dubal. Further, based on my reading on places like SNPedia (https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs9536314), there are only 2 SNPs associated with klotho that are being tracked in the research that's been yielding these correlations that have everyone excited. And it seems that if you have the favorable variant for one, you probably do for the other SNP as well, since they co-occur/segregate. Unless I'm misunderstanding, which is possible.

Cheers,
Justin
  • 4/4 male, born 1989
  • Status discovery: 2020
  • Regimen: 14+ hr. fast/day; 200-300 min of mod-vig exercise/week; Med-esque diet; Supplementing with Trig DHA, B vits, D3
June
Contributor
Contributor

Post by June »

kcomplex wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:57 pm
NF52 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:49 am
kcomplex wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:45 pm Hello and pleased to meet you.

I'm APOE 4/4 and I'm interested to know if anyone in this group managed to find a genetic testing service that definitely covers rs9536314's genotype because 23andme used has stopped for some stupid reason and I can't gain access to the information needed in my raw data.

20% of apoe4 carriers are protected by some versions of this gene so I think it's pretty important to know whether one is one of them and how to find out. Hope someone can help or has advice. Thanks.

Sean
Hi Sean,

I'm guessing you've read or heard about this 2020 article: Association of Klotho-VS Heterozygosity With Risk of Alzheimer Disease in Individuals Who Carry APOE4 or this great explanation from Genetic Life Hacks: https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/klotho-apoe-e4/.

Have to admit, when I saw it this in 2020, I immediately checked my 23&me report (from an early 2014 test) and discovered that I have the common T/T variant. My ApoE 3/3 husband has the G/T variant, which probably explains why his dad lived to 90 (with some help from cardiologists and oncologists, but no AD).

You may want to contact 23&me about this to see if they can suggest a workaround, or have an explanation of why this isn't showing. https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en- ... 0050651194

I hope you get the data and find that you, like my husband, carry the lucky G/T variant. FWIW, even without that, I'm 70, with ApoE 4/4 like you, and still doing just fine, including on measures of cognitive health and functional skills. Other factors, like the education beyond high school, engaging in problem-solving, social connections, healthy foods, and exercise are collectively seen as extending "health-spans" by decades. We can out-maneuver our pesky genes!

Nancy
Thanks. I did contact them but no reply as yet. It looks very unlikely they will be able to help tbh and looking as
though I will have to pay more to get the right analysis but it's proving tricky to know with 100% those genes will be checked. Glad you are doing good, that's great to hear. You can rest assured that'll be doing all I can to keep things that way for myself as well.
Hi Sean and Nancy,

Thanks for your posts. Do you remember what year you got your 23andme test, Sean? I got mine in 2020. I saw Nancy got hers in 2014.

After getting and downloading 23andme raw data today, like Sean, when I searched for rs9536314, it shows "Cannot find rs9536314". I followed Nancy's link for customer care: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en- ... 0050651194, and did the following:

1. Composed a message about missing data and sent it on 23andme customer care portal with screenshot attached

2. Called their service line 800-239-5230 (Monday - Friday 6am-7pm PT, Saturday and Sunday 8am-12pm PT) and spoke to "Resty" about the missing data and why it's important to find out. He asked me to email him the screenshot which I did, said he escalated my inquiry and that I should get an email response back within 1 week (by 6/21/24).

3. Emailed Resty after our call to thank him for escalating and confirming I'll get email response back by 6/21/24 (so there is written record for what's to expect for mutual clarity in case they don't deliver)

I told Resty that there is at least one member in our group who tested in 2014 and got their rs9536314 data from 23andme fine, and I thought later tests should have MORE SNP data rather than less because of technology advancement which he agreed.

I found out there are ~ 640K SNPs in raw 23andme data, according to Resty.
Will share if and when I get a response hopefully by next Friday! I imagine there could be a LOT in our group who would find this relevant.

Have a lovely weekend ; ).
June 4/4 yet hopeful
Former biotech executive