Newcomer Introduction :)

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KarenG
Contributor
Contributor

Newcomer Introduction :)

Post by KarenG »

Greetings, Apoe4.Info community!

My name is Karen and I am a 47 year old 4/4. I have one family member with history of dementia- my paternal grandfather.

Feelings around such heavy information as ApoE4 status are fluid, changing from time to time, as mine have since I obtained my SNP info from 23andMe and FoundMyFitness/Rhonda Patrick’s genetic report in 2021. As of this week, hope and ease are predominant for me (if you’d asked a few weeks ago it would have been despair, despondence, and frustration!). The most recent positive turn results from some course corrections in “the big four”- diet, exercise, sleep, stress control. I have been relatively deep in the longevity/healthspan literature since ~2018, but adherence to best practice is another story. I visit the extremes and everything in between :). Compliance aside, it is so empowering to improve what is in one’s control. Plus, better choices make me feel physically and mentally great in the present with less cognitive dissonance around decisions like eating unhealthy food or drinking alcohol when I know it will adversely affect my sleep. The other factor in the renewed positivity- THIS WEBSITE! I spent time here in 2021 when I discovered my 4/4 status (it was very helpful), but then stopped focusing on ApoE4 as much. My attention was renewed upon review of the recent Nature article APOE4 homozygozity represents a distinc ... ’s disease (discussed elsewhere on this site). I returned to see this community’s reactions. Wow! Beyond that discussion I have been going from board to board, consumed by all of the thoughtful, vulnerable, supportive, analytical, informative contributions by this group. And the Wiki page! Fantastic :D

I want to introduce myself since I think I will be here often, but more so, I want to say THANK YOU. I am just so thrilled and appreciative that this resource is available. Thank you for all of the hard work needed to create and grow such an important and impressive undertaking.

Grateful,
Karen
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Newcomer Introduction :)

Post by NF52 »

KarenG wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:01 am Greetings, Apoe4.Info community!

My name is Karen and I am a 47 year old 4/4. I have one family member with history of dementia- my paternal grandfather.

Feelings around such heavy information as ApoE4 status are fluid, changing from time to time, as mine have since I obtained my SNP info from 23andMe and FoundMyFitness/Rhonda Patrick’s genetic report in 2021. As of this week, hope and ease are predominant for me (if you’d asked a few weeks ago it would have been despair, despondence, and frustration!). The most recent positive turn results from some course corrections in “the big four”- diet, exercise, sleep, stress control. I have been relatively deep in the longevity/healthspan literature since ~2018, but adherence to best practice is another story. I visit the extremes and everything in between :). Compliance aside, it is so empowering to improve what is in one’s control. Plus, better choices make me feel physically and mentally great in the present with less cognitive dissonance around decisions like eating unhealthy food or drinking alcohol when I know it will adversely affect my sleep. The other factor in the renewed positivity- THIS WEBSITE! I spent time here in 2021 when I discovered my 4/4 status (it was very helpful), but then stopped focusing on ApoE4 as much. My attention was renewed upon review of the recent Nature article APOE4 homozygozity represents a distinc ... ’s disease (discussed elsewhere on this site). I returned to see this community’s reactions. Wow! Beyond that discussion I have been going from board to board, consumed by all of the thoughtful, vulnerable, supportive, analytical, informative contributions by this group. And the Wiki page! Fantastic :D

I want to introduce myself since I think I will be here often, but more so, I want to say THANK YOU. I am just so thrilled and appreciative that this resource is available. Thank you for all of the hard work needed to create and grow such an important and impressive undertaking.

Grateful,
Karen
Welcome, Karen!

On behalf of the Support Team and our entire community, I want to say how glad we are that you came back after your earlier visits and especially after reading the Nature article. Thank you for sharing your experiences and validating for others who may be exploring our forum, that it's normal to have "heavy" feelings around ApoE4, with the knowledge being both empowering and sometimes daunting.

Sounds like you have made terrific self-discoveries of how to make diet, sleep, exercise and stress reduction work for you. Add to that your sense of positivity, which has been shown again and again to be associated with cognitive resilience and longevity, and at your age you can confidently look forward to seeing articles in the future that say, as I heard multiple researchers say in 2023 in Amsterdam at an international conference: "Alzheimer's will become a disease that we can prevent in most people through lifestyle and early interventions (education, health care), monitor for its earlier signs in those at higher risk, treat well before cognitive symptoms occur, and manage--the same as we manage many other conditions that led to hugh rates of death in previous generations."

We appreciate your kind comments about the work that went into this forum and goes into it every day from people like you. It's a labor of love and purpose, one I hope you will continue to post on .

You are unlikely to need these resources, but just in case, here's a few gems:

The Primer is written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

The How-To Guide shows how to quote members (use the " icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also shows how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest.

Enjoy both hope and ease, Karen!

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
KarenG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KarenG »

What a delightful and welcoming response, Nancy! And the Amsterdam conference quote is a wonderful way to frame what, in many ways, is a hopeful time. Cheers, Karen
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

KarenG wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:01 am Greetings, Apoe4.Info community!

Grateful,
Karen
Hi KarenG

I just wanted to respond to your lovely note. I understand how hard it is to stick to the protocol. But I like to look at the positives. You've done a lot of good when you are compliant. And we all have little slips now and again, we're human after all. The fact that you've returned to this site and are still focusing on what you can do, is going to stand you in good stead. Be kind to yourself when you slip and get back on it as soon as you can.

Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
KarenG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KarenG »

TCHC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:49 am
KarenG wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:01 am
Hi KarenG

I just wanted to respond to your lovely note. I understand how hard it is to stick to the protocol. But I like to look at the positives. You've done a lot of good when you are compliant. And we all have little slips now and again, we're human after all. The fact that you've returned to this site and are still focusing on what you can do, is going to stand you in good stead. Be kind to yourself when you slip and get back on it as soon as you can.

Lindsey
Lindsey,

It’s so nice to meet you! Your words of encouragement resonate with me and I appreciate your response. Have a wonderful weekend :)

karen