New to site ...3/4 positive. Terrified

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Dirish22
New User
New User

New to site ...3/4 positive. Terrified

Post by Dirish22 »

Hi, At 64, I recently found out I carry apoe 3/4. My mom has Alzheimer's and lives in a nursing home. Watching her decline and knowing I could be next terrifies me. I am weeping as I write this. I am working with naturopath to heal my gut and improve diet. What else should I do? Are there tests to take? Guidance is appreciated. Thank you
JulieMorris
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Re: New to site ...3/4 positive. Terrified

Post by JulieMorris »

Dirish22 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:01 am Hi, At 64, I recently found out I carry apoe 3/4. My mom has Alzheimer's and lives in a nursing home. Watching her decline and knowing I could be next terrifies me. I am weeping as I write this. I am working with naturopath to heal my gut and improve diet. What else should I do? Are there tests to take? Guidance is appreciated. Thank you
Hi Dirish22-
Hello! I'm a support team intern, and I'd like to welcome you to this site! You have found a very supportive community here. Thank you for trusting us with your vulnerability and tapping into your courage by sharing part of your story.
Heavy feelings are completely normal surrounding this, and it's important we take time to feel them. I can only imagine how hard it is to watch your mother decline. However, please acknowledge that you are in a different spot than your mother and you've likely had access to a cleaner environment growing up (water, air, etc.). In addition, we now have more knowledge about all the factors that contribute to dementia and Alzheimer's, as well as testing options. What's more is that you are already taking steps to tame the inflammation in your body and brain by working on healing your gut and balancing your microbiome. You also stated that you are improving your diet, which I take to mean that you are focusing on anti-inflammatory, whole foods, like lots of colorful vegetables and fruits.

This site is an excellent resource for guidance going forward. You will find lots of ideas here, which you can then run by your doctor, and decide what to include. It would be a great idea to first take a look at our Primer. It is an incredible resource of information about the biochemistry of ApoE4. It offers researched-based prevention strategies and was written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4. Do not become overwhelmed with all the information. Sometimes it is best to slowly read through it, decide which section resonates with you, and focus on that area first. You're already taking steps with your gut and nutrition, so you may want to focus on adding in one more thing at a time to your routine. Small steps can make a big difference in your health.

The How-To Guide will help you learn how to navigate this site. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

You can find other members' experiences in Our Stories. Sometimes reading the stories of others helps us realize that we are not alone.

I'm so glad you have joined us on this site. Please feel free to reach out anytime with questions or if you just need support. You are not alone. We are here for you.

Take care,
Julie
PhD in Speech-Language Pathology
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Interested in all things brain-related
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Dirish22 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:01 am Hi, At 64, I recently found out I carry apoe 3/4. My mom has Alzheimer's and lives in a nursing home. Watching her decline and knowing I could be next terrifies me. I am weeping as I write this. I am working with naturopath to heal my gut and improve diet. What else should I do? Are there tests to take? Guidance is appreciated. Thank you
Hi Dirish22, As a great introduction to the answer to the question “What else should I do?”, JulieMorris’ suggestion that you read the Primer ( viewtopic.php?t=1418 ) is what I recommend also. It is a wonderful resource and will help to get you on the path to long term cognitive health.
My mom also had Alzheimer’s and she lived in a memory facility for the final seven years of her life. Like you, my ApoE status is 3/4. Like most people on this site, I believe that there is much that we can do to offset the risk that our genetics carry.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Dany_ele
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dany_ele »

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. It's understandable to feel scared. Along with working on your diet and gut health, consider regular exercise, mental stimulation, and good sleep. You might also want to talk to your doctor about cognitive assessments and monitoring your heart health, as it’s linked to brain health.