Apoe4 /4 a new genetic variant of Alzheimer’s ??

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
HelenOwens
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Re: Apoe4 /4 a new genetic variant of Alzheimer’s ??

Post by HelenOwens »

PBH wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:01 am Great info and discussion!

One of the things I found most frustrating in the coverage of this study is the experts who doubled down on telling people NOT to find out their APOE status, with statements like it will cause nothing but grief; and there isn’t anything you can do.

How can we increase study sample size and prevention trials if no one pursues their status until they are symptomatic?

I applaud everyone here who has been brave and smart enough to take the first step in working on a problem: facing it head on. To quote James Baldwin, Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced.

We need the medical community to support people finding out their status before they have symptoms if we want to make the urgent progress needed on understanding AD development in 4/4s. To me, this includes making APOE status a part of regular medical tests (with privacy protections).
Hello PBH,

As a Support Team Intern, I’d like to welcome you to the Forum! Thank you for joining us and sharing your voice of encouragement! Yes, as scary as knowing your APOE status can be, knowledge can also be empowering. As you have already discovered, what makes this community and forum so valuable is not only the wealth of information you can find here but the conversations, perspectives and compassion.

I’d like to share several tools & resources should you be interested in finding out more information on this site. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

Wiki Main Page contains lots of useful information and links to articles for a deeper dive into specific topics.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories. We encourage you to share yours!

Warmly,
Helen
Helen
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach