Alzheon Raises $100 Million to Advance ALZ-801 Development & Commercialization

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
June
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheon Raises $100 Million to Advance ALZ-801 Development & Commercialization

Post by June »

Glampers wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:36 am Hi June, welcome to the site. I read your introduction and it's wonderful that you bring so much background, knowledge, and insight into drug development! Thank you for sharing your story.

I am a fellow 58 year old woman and 4/4. My mother's family was devastated by early cardiovascular disease, then dementia, while my father's side has no dementia at all. My 4/4 status came as a shock to me. My beloved mother died of breast cancer before she was 60.

I am asymptomatic (but amyloid +) and taking homotaurine based on what I learned from this site - I take 100 mg in the evening to avoid experiencing nausea while awake. I have been doing so for about 6 months. I don't have any other side effects and have not experienced cognitive decline. The supplement is available in the US from a supplement company called SuperSmart. I plan to up my dose to 150 mg if I can tolerate it.

Like others I have struggled mightily on the emotional front following the release of the Fortea paper in Nature Medicine. I read a stoic philosophy tenet called Amor Fati which has helped me. It emphasizes that since life is not really in our control, we can only choose to embrace the deck of cards we are dealt and focus on who we choose to be as a person within that fate. I have come up with a list of things I want to do on that front: contribute to science, support others, and be the best friend and family member I can be in my remaining years of life and health. It helps me to think of this every morning as a sort of mantra.
Hi Glampers, thanks for your lovely message, kindred sister 8-) I'm with you, also believe in stoic philosophy and embrace what we are given and do the best we can - if we can't change our genes, we can at least change what we do about it within our abilities, and make the best of it. I love your positive attitude :!:

And to all who have followed this thread and Alzheon/ALZ-801, I saw that Alzheon is a sponsor at the upcoming
Alzheimer’s Association International Conference | July 28 – Aug. 1, 2024 | Philadelphia, USA, and Online and will likely present (though I wasn't able to find their presentation listed, if anyone else spotted it, please share here!) In fact, I think there is a decent possibility that Alzheon might even present their Phase 3 ALZ-801 results at the conference IF they are able to finish the trial and analyze the data in time. It would be breaking news if the data meets the company's goal and get top coverage during this major AD annual conference. Fingers crossed...

If there are people from our community attending this AAIC conference, I'm sure we'd all LOVE to hear the latest developments!
June 4/4 yet hopeful
Former biotech executive
cdaniel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheon Raises $100 Million to Advance ALZ-801 Development & Commercialization

Post by cdaniel »

Downtown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:49 pm I have taken it for over 6 months. No problems or side effects (which were very minor) after the first 2-3 weeks.

150mg (3 pills) 2 x a day with meals. I had some slight nausea at first along with tingling on the back of my neck. The nausea dissipated after 30-60 minutes. I titrated the dose for the first 2-3 weeks working up to the full dose. I believe the 150mg bid was the dosage used for the older clinical tests.

Good luck with this as early test results are that it works for E4/E4s. The company hopes to use it in a preventative way for E4's before we get MCI or early alzheimers. I am curious to see what the results are for the Phase 3 study schedule to be released in 3Q:2024.
Does anyone know if homotaurine is as effective as valiltramiprosate? I'm not sure about the mechanics of a prodrug. Thanks for the information!
Downtown
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Downtown »

The prodrug and HomoTaurine have the same effective ingredient with the same effective dose. The prodrug is a new blend that results in little or no nausea. The two drugs are absorbed at modestly different rates with different longevity in the bloodstream. That could favor the prodrug being more effective than the generic. We have to wait for the phase 3 results for more detail.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Glampers wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:36 am I read a stoic philosophy tenet called Amor Fati which has helped me. It emphasizes that since life is not really in our control, we can only choose to embrace the deck of cards we are dealt and focus on who we choose to be as a person within that fate. I have come up with a list of things I want to do on that front: contribute to science, support others, and be the best friend and family member I can be in my remaining years of life and health. It helps me to think of this every morning as a sort of mantra.
What a lovely morning practice!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tabby
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tabby »

Has anyone else not been able to tolerate the HomoTaurine? I have tried several times to take a 50mg Super Smart capsule on a full stomach and I end up running for the Zofran or having to make myself a peanut butter milkshake which defeats the health benefits. If I can't tolerate this low of a dose, I will never be able to take the higher dose. I have not tried taking it at bedtime because I am worried feeling sick will disturb my sleep. I have a low nausea threshold. I get car sick easily and have to take all of my supplements on a full stomach.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Tabby wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:48 am Has anyone else not been able to tolerate the HomoTaurine? I have tried several times to take a 50mg Super Smart capsule on a full stomach and I end up running for the Zofran or having to make myself a peanut butter milkshake which defeats the health benefits. If I can't tolerate this low of a dose, I will never be able to take the higher dose. I have not tried taking it at bedtime because I am worried feeling sick will disturb my sleep. I have a low nausea threshold. I get car sick easily and have to take all of my supplements on a full stomach.
Hi Tabby, I know I have read on other threads about individuals who , like you, cannot tolerate homotaurine. Julie G is one of them. Here is a link to the thread where you can read about the people's experience with homotaurine: viewtopic.php?p=93168&hilit=homotaurine#p93168
There may be other threads discussing homotaurine too. you can find them by typing homotaurine into the search function, which appear just below your user name in upper right hand corner of the screen.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
June
Contributor
Contributor

Post by June »

floramaria wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:53 pm
Tabby wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:48 am Has anyone else not been able to tolerate the HomoTaurine? I have tried several times to take a 50mg Super Smart capsule on a full stomach and I end up running for the Zofran or having to make myself a peanut butter milkshake which defeats the health benefits. If I can't tolerate this low of a dose, I will never be able to take the higher dose. I have not tried taking it at bedtime because I am worried feeling sick will disturb my sleep. I have a low nausea threshold. I get car sick easily and have to take all of my supplements on a full stomach.
Hi Tabby, I know I have read on other threads about individuals who , like you, cannot tolerate homotaurine. Julie G is one of them. Here is a link to the thread where you can read about the people's experience with homotaurine: viewtopic.php?p=93168&hilit=homotaurine#p93168
There may be other threads discussing homotaurine too. you can find them by typing homotaurine into the search function, which appear just below your user name in upper right hand corner of the screen.
Hi floramaria and Tabby,

I've started Homotaurine a little over a week ago, 50mg -> 50mg x 2 with meals, doing OK, but when I increased it to 100 mg with breakfast once, I felt uncomfortable, not yet vomiting, but unsettling in my stomach. Now I'm back to 50mg x 2 with meals again and OK.

For those interested in Alzheon and ALZ-801, I'll likely meet a senior executive from Alzheon I connected online this week at an Alzheimer's Association event, see my post HERE for details, and send any questions you may want to ask through me by Tue 7/10/24 :idea:

floramaria - saw your response to my post on this, I look forward to sharing what I might find out!
June 4/4 yet hopeful
Former biotech executive