How I got enrolled in my first clinical trial - a novel UCSD Virtual Reality Brain Health Research!!

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
June
Contributor
Contributor

How I got enrolled in my first clinical trial - a novel UCSD Virtual Reality Brain Health Research!!

Post by June »

Hi all,

As a new member as of 6/10/24, after finding out clinical trial resources on our FAB site, I signed up on a few registries. To my delight, I received an email response from UCSD Brain Health Study (I live in San Diego) the same day, recruiting healthy volunteers for a novel Virtual Reality Brain Health Research! After filling out form online, I got a call from a researcher today to confirm my qualification and scheduled me for my 3-hr "screening test" this coming Monday 6/24/24 8-) This is the 1st clinical trial I enrolled, can't believe how painless and FAST it is :!: This particular study has NO control arm, so ALL participants can potentially benefit from the procedure, especially given positive pilot study results (see below).

The main purpose of my post is to encourage people, especially newcomers, to take actions and identify trials that are relevant/interesting/beneficial to YOU.

Here is more info on this trial website:

Study summary:

The purpose of this study is to use a novel virtual reality (VR) based activity that simultaneously engages physical and cognitive activity aimed at improving brain health and cognition in older adults. We will compare 3 types of activities combined VR physical and cognitive, physical activity only, and VR cognitive activity only over 16 weeks to evaluate changes in brain health, cognition, blood-based biomarkers, and physical function in older adults.

I found out that the pilot study by the researchers published in 2021 titled

Simultaneous Exercise and Cognitive Training in Virtual Reality Phase 2 Pilot Study: Impact on Brain Health and Cognition in Older Adults

showed promising results:
"Twelve weeks of simultaneous exercise and cognitive training in VR elicits positive changes in brain volume, vascular resistance, memory, and executive function with moderate-to-large effect sizes in our pilot study."

One of the major benefits is I'll get high resolution 3D MRI scans (never done before) at the start and end of the study to show changes in cerebral flow, and brain structure (grey matter volume, superior parietal lobule, peripheral vascular resistance), plus cognitive tests done before and after. This would be a great baseline to have for future reference. Also I'll have a chance to meet and talk to the research team (lead researcher Dr. Judy Pa is East Asian like myself whose focus is Alzheimer's Prevention! and received a 5-year $7 million grant from the National Institute on Aging to launch this phase 2 clinical trial of a VR-based intervention for AD) and learn about their cutting-edge research on AD.

This study is an expansion of the Phase 2 Pilot, they plan to enroll 150 participants (50 each arm). I asked them to share the research findings after study completion. With my consent, the researcher added me to their database for future UCSD Brain Health Research trials. The compensation for completing the study is $585, a nice bonus.

I'll share more as I learn more as the study progresses... Please share interesting trials you are able to find too :idea:

For those interested in enrolling in clinical trials, here are some that I signed up and searched for:

TrialMatch

AD Prevention Registry

CARE Registry (For AAPI community)

If you have signed up for our ApoE4.info Virtual Meetup Zoom call this Sunday June 23, I look forward to seeing you then :D

Cheers,
Last edited by June on Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
June 4/4 yet hopeful
Former biotech executive
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: How I got enrolled in my first clinical trial in 4 days!

Post by Julie G »

Thank you for sharing, June. It was so nice to meet you yesterday! This is an excellent resource for our community.

Please let us know if you'll qualify. I have my fingers crossed that you'll be able to take part in the dual exercise/VR arm that has previously shown promise.
June
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How I got enrolled in my first clinical trial in 4 days!

Post by June »

Julie G wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:42 am Thank you for sharing, June. It was so nice to meet you yesterday! This is an excellent resource for our community.

Please let us know if you'll qualify. I have my fingers crossed that you'll be able to take part in the dual exercise/VR arm that has previously shown promise.
Hi Julie,

It was wonderful to meet you and others virtually yesterday at our Zoom meetup 8-) Everyone was so nice and supportive, thank you for starting this FAB group :idea:

Thanks for your kind note about the UCSD trial. I just got back from my 3-hr "screening test" which I think went well today! They did some cognitive test (MOCA combined with other), had me try the virtual reality game (VR game alone, and game + stationary bike peddling = the most FUN part 8-) ), then to another location to get my heart rate up gradually on a stationary bike from 70 to 138 (in 8 min) when I'm monitored on EKG. I had no uncomfortable sensations afterward during any test.

I learned that the VR game was developed internally.

I'll hear back in a few days re confirmation and will find out which arm I'm randomized into (would love VR+ bike).

Stay tuned 8-) and check out cool brain art and VR goggle below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
June 4/4 yet hopeful
Former biotech executive
June
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How I got enrolled in my first clinical trial - a novel UCSD Virtual Reality Brain Health Research!!

Post by June »

Quick updates:

I got confirmation to officially enroll in this UCSD trial after the screening test, and my first day of study will be 5.5 hours on 8/1/24. Stay tuned for updates then...

For those of you living near San Diego, they are still recruiting healthy participants.
June 4/4 yet hopeful
Former biotech executive