Lipid Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Lipid Results

Post by Ski »

So what started me on a Paleo diet back in early 2012 was due to a worsening lipid panel. The more fiber and carb I seemed to add, the worse my numbers were getting it seemed.
04/04/2012
  • Total-204
  • HDL-33
  • Trig-194
  • LDL-134
So started eating HFLC immediately and look at the change in HDL and Trigs in just 5 days....a clue to how quickly my body responds to diet.
04/09/2012
  • Total-186
  • HDL-55
  • Trig-46
  • LDL-122
So fast forward 8 months. Prior, I did have a couple of other lipid panels and everything stayed the same, with LDL rising to 130, which I was okay with, seeing as I was much higher in fats now.

Below is my VAP at 06/2013
vap.pdf
Then a mere 3 weeks later my NMR:
nmr.pdf
Cut out the SF...... added more carbs and my results ANOTHER 3 weeks later:
  • Total-194
  • HDL-56
  • Trig-75
  • LDL-120
Crazy fluctuations in such short spaces of time. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lipid Results

Post by SpunkyPup »

3 weeks is not long enough for your lipids to stabilize.

non-HDL and small Ldl particle count and high LDL-P# are the ones to try to bring under control.

If one is taking fish oil reduce to >1000mg/day EPA+DHA as I found myself as a E3/4 LDL-P# dropped 50% to low risk when by EPA/DHA was lowered from 3000mg >1200mg/day

I suggest that you track you food intake with cronometer.com and get tested for sterol absorption, Boston Heart Labs has the test. You are likely a hyper absorber of fat.
thyroid optimization would also help but finding a doctor skilled in helping is the problem.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

No fish oil capsules for me.
My thyroids were good.

Yeah, hyperabsorber I am no doubt.
3 weeks is not long enough for your lipids to stabilize.
Yeah, but I dont believe that. If so, what caused my lipids to go from say 120/130-->211 with no diet change?? Theres no stabilization that should be taking place there! That whole thing gets thrown around a lot for folks that are losing weight etc.

As an example that HDL readjustment in just 5 days..almost double...in all my subsequent lipid tests it remained around the same. Nothing stabalized out. Doctors will tell you test every 3 months but again were not 3/3s.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

WOW, Skibike :shock: CRAZY fast changes!!! We 4/4s are known for them...but, boy, you are living life in the fast lane- understatement.

FIVE days on HFLC and your lipids looked THAT good??? Well, you certainly know LFHC is NOT for you. HFLC looked good until it didn't- still wonder if your hormonal issues played a part in that sudden change?

BUT, already your standard lipid panel looks amazing again :D I find that VERY comforting, my 4/4 brother. Exactly how much SFA were you consuming prior to reducing it?

Thanks so much for sharing. We certainly learn from one another.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Well the thing I havent figured out was what the hell happened 8 months in. If Im such a fast responder to diet, why did my HF diet seem to be going along fine till then? Its like my 4/4 genes suddenly got turned on!

I was not high, high fat. I was probably around 50% and 60% fat on my highest days. Im now at roughly 30%, so not low fat. I wish my carbs were lower but I need to get my calories somewhere.

I want to add, that I do believe in the HF theory being good, and if I didn't have these lipid issues, would still be HFLC.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I don't know. It seems like HFLC was good till "something" happened. I wouldn't say your 4/4 just "turned on"...but maybe it had to do with your testosterone level (good catch there!) But WHY did that change? I know you've had your thyroid looked at... Lots of questions still. So, you REALLY are pretty LFHC now, huh? And, that's what got you in trouble before? A conundrum for sure. You're very smart and will figure this out. I have the feeling we'll all learn with you.

I played with Spunky's chronometer. VERY interesting. I don't eat much so I'm easily able to remember a day's intake. (Am I going to have to start obsessively measuring everything to know I'm entering the right quantities???) I was pretty close to my goal of 65% fat, 20% protein, 15% carbs. For today, I was at fats-70%, protein-15%, carbs 15%. I suspect that I'm often low in protein- now I have proof... Gotta work on that!
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Well in terms of the Paleo movement Im high carb, but I hover between 150-200 grams which for someone who works out aint that bad even by Paleo standards I think. I was probably 300-400 prior, so Im lower carb now. And I ate more breads/pastas. Now its more tubers/rice/veggies. So its still a bigger difference.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, BIG difference- moderate and much smarter carbs for sure.

OK, if you haven't tried it yet, check out Spunky's chronometer. It's VERY revealing. I'm just using the free version; I imagine the paid version is more user-friendly. I just saw that my Omega 3s today were 990% and my Omega 6s, 95%- cool. And, I regularly demonstrate very low serum copper and magnesium in my blood work. No surprise, my dietary intake is deficient in both. This could be very helpful to use on a daily basis. Thanks Spunky!!!
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I'll check that out. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Remember everyone: no conclusion about the (direct) effects of dietary constituents can be made unless the before and after diets were isocaloric....

So, Skibike: did your weight stay the same? If it went down, your lipid changes could be -- research gerontologists would say: very likely are! -- purely the result of a CR effect.

GB