Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Post by UFGirl »

Hi! I am a longtime lurker/reader but haven't posted. I have read through a lot of the hormone replacement therapy threads including Stavia's report on the San Diego Meetup from 2017 and was just wondering if Ann Hathaway's lecture from this event is still the most recent protocol/science on HRT and where we are as a group? Thanks! This forum has really been incredible as someone who has multiple relatives who have had Alzheimer's including my mom who just recently died.
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Renlets »

UFGirl wrote:Hi! I am a longtime lurker/reader but haven't posted. I have read through a lot of the hormone replacement therapy threads including Stavia's report on the San Diego Meetup from 2017 and was just wondering if Ann Hathaway's lecture from this event is still the most recent protocol/science on HRT and where we are as a group? Thanks! This forum has really been incredible as someone who has multiple relatives who have had Alzheimer's including my mom who just recently died.
Hi UFGirl,
I would like to extend a special welcome to you and thank you for taking that first step to post. My condolences to you on the passing of your mom, I wish you healing and strength.

I am sure someone on the Forum with a deeper knowledge of HRT will respond to your question. However, it might make things easier and quicker to get a respond if you go back to the HRT thread to ask a question there and even tag the person that talked about the lecture. This way, that person will get the message and respond quickly with what they know. To learn how to engage on the Forum and tag others the How-to-guide will be helpful.
Since you have been a reader on the site, I am sure you know a few of our tools like the Primer , which is written by one of the member physicians and the WIKI to research various topics. If you haven’t explored them yet, do check them out you will get additional insightful information there as well.

Keep well and engaged.

RenLets
UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by UFGirl »

Hi RenLets,
Thanks so much! Can you link me to the HRT thread? I thought this was the one. Thanks again!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

UFGirl wrote:Hi RenLets,
Thanks so much! Can you link me to the HRT thread? I thought this was the one. Thanks again!
Welcome, UFGirl!
I am one year older than you and carry two copies of ApoE4, so know that for our generation, the question of hormones is of high interest--and considerable variation in approach. You are on the right thread, though! (And also the longest, by far.) I thought you might be interested in this excerpt from a 2020 article by Drs. Yu Jin Kim and Roberta Brinton of the University of Arizona.
Precision hormone therapy: gaps and opportunities
Age and response to HT
The impact of age on HT response is illustrated in two studies. In a randomized longitudinal study of postmenopausal women with a mean age of 57.7 year, impact of HT on an indicator of aging, telomere length, was investigated [24].
Outcomes of these analyses on a biomarker of aging biology indicated that APOE-e4 carriers had marked telomere
attrition during the 2-year study window which was equivalent to approximately one decade of additional aging compared to non-carriers. Further analyses revealed a modulatory effect of HT on the association between APOE status and telomere attrition. APOE-e4 carriers who continued HT during the 2 year trial sustained telomere length and did not exhibit signs of aging, whereas women who discontinued HT telomere length shortened consistent with accelerated aging [24]. Women who did not carry the APOE4 allele exhibited no protective effect of HT on telomere length [24]. The impact of HT in APOE4 positive women in the Nurses’ Health Study indicated that cognitive function in 70–81 year old APOE4 carriers currently using HT was associated with a slight increase in rate of decline [25]...From a clinical perspective, precision HT is critical to delivering personalized medicine for management of menopausal symptoms and bridging the gap between health span
and life span in postmenopausal women. Achieving precision HT requires inclusion of multiple factors including age,
genetic risk factors, symptomatic phenotype and clinical history
https://gremjournal.com/wp-content/uplo ... rinton.pdf

Dr. Brinton received a $ 37.5 million grant from the National Institutes on Aging in the fall of 2019 for a Phase 2 study of the safety and efficicacy (effectiveness) of allopregnanolone, which Alz Forum calls a "neurosteroid metabolite of progesterone" https://www.alzforum.org/therapeutics/allopregnanolone, so expect to hear more about ways to help the brain with hormones in the next few years.
4/4 and still an optimist!
UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by UFGirl »

Hi NF52,

Thank you for the links! I am going to go check these out. A lot of women in my family (on my mom's side) going back generations have had Alzheimer's/dementia. While I know taking HRT is not a magic bullet, so far in my family research, none of these women that had Alzheimer's/dementia had taken HRT for any length of time...I am just trying to plug all the holes I can!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm going cuckoo trying to do basic math. How do I calculate the estrogen : progesterone ratio? They are being reported to me in two different measurements. I assume I should convert one to the other before calculating the ratio and that it doesn't matter which I convert as long as they are the same measurement? Or is there some weird unwritten understanding that you just go with the figures using different measurements. That would seem odd but I haven't seen any instructions about it

My last reading was:

Estradiol 71 pg/mL
Progesterone 13.4 ng/mL

If I convert to ng/mL and put estradiol in front, I get .071 : 13.4
If I convert to pg/mL and put estradiol in front, I get 71 : 13400

Am I supposed to then divide one by the other? Many web pages express the ratio as one number somewhere between, say 100-500, not something like 10:100 that I'm used to seeing around here. I just can't figure out what the stupid ratio is. I'm so tired. Surely I must just be having a lucid bad dream. Hopefully I'll wake up soon and can have my coffee and know all about math. But just in case this is for real and I really am awake, I'll sure appreciate a rescue! :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Aromagician
New User
New User

Post by Aromagician »

My Mum is on Testosterone, esteriadiol and progesterone.
But I am sure the testosterone makes her miserable. She was in a good mood this morning, and then after the 10mg testosterone, she was crying and depressed. Has anyone heard of mood changes from it?
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

circular wrote:Am I supposed to then divide one by the other? Many web pages express the ratio as one number somewhere between, say 100-500, not something like 10:100 that I'm used to seeing around here. I just can't figure out what the stupid ratio is. I'm so tired. Surely I must just be having a lucid bad dream. Hopefully I'll wake up soon and can have my coffee and know all about math. But just in case this is for real and I really am awake, I'll sure appreciate a rescue! :)
Hi Circular

I found this estradiol/progesterone calculator site. You can enter your lab values as you received them (pg/mL for estradiol and ng/mL for progesterone) and it will calculate the ratio. You don't even have to understand the math! Hope this helps.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

JML wrote:
circular wrote:Am I supposed to then divide one by the other? Many web pages express the ratio as one number somewhere between, say 100-500, not something like 10:100 that I'm used to seeing around here. I just can't figure out what the stupid ratio is. I'm so tired. Surely I must just be having a lucid bad dream. Hopefully I'll wake up soon and can have my coffee and know all about math. But just in case this is for real and I really am awake, I'll sure appreciate a rescue! :)
Hi Circular

I found this estradiol/progesterone calculator site. You can enter your lab values as you received them (pg/mL for estradiol and ng/mL for progesterone) and it will calculate the ratio. You don't even have to understand the math! Hope this helps.
Thanks ML! I used a similar calculator on another page. Such pages give a single number and sometimes a normal range, but I haven't seen one that suggests a normal range specifically for women in menopause. I'm not sure how to correlate the single number with the recommendations from Dr. Bredesen 100:10 or Dr. Hathaway eg 80:8, 50:6 …

If I'm interpreting right, I think my ratio is pretty good by the numbers, but a little high on the progesterone end, whereas I'm having some symptoms that suggest I'm too high on the estrogen end. I'm leery of raising the progesterone to see if it helps if that's what's already on the high side. :?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

New study by Roberta Diaz Brinton's group.
Outcomes of this retrospective analysis indicate that use of HT was associated with significantly reduced risk for all combined NDDs. Although the benefits and risks of HT are still debated, our results are consistent with multiple observational studies reporting an association between HT and reduced risk of AD or maintaining cognitive function. Importantly, our analysis indicated that magnitude of risk reduction of NDDs varied depending on the compositions of HT, route of administration, and duration of therapy.

Analysis of HT formulations indicated that all formulations containing estrogen reduced risk of NDDs. A differentiating factor for efficacy of estrogen was the progestin in the formulation. Estrogen with natural progesterone (Prometrium) exerted greater reduction in risk for combined NDDs. Estrogen in combination with the synthetic progestin medroxyprogesterone acetate reduced the protective efficacy of estrogen, which is consistent with previous findings...

Longer duration of HT use was associated with greater reduction of NDD risk. These results support further development of precision HT to reduce risk of age-associated NDDs.
NDD = neurodegenerative diseases

https://alz-journals.onlinelibrary.wile ... trc2.12174