Getting DHA while Having Histamine Issues

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting DHA while Having Histamine Issues

Post by circular »

SarahB wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:34 am Hi there - I have histamine intolerance thanks to DAO and HMNT mutations. I also can't tolerate fish oil; it gives me an urticarial rash with lip and throat swelling about half an hour after ingestion. The reaction is sporadic, not to every pill, but out of dates pill seem more likely to trigger the reaction. I've tried vegan and krill with the same response.

I'm not sure my reaction is due to histamine intolerance/high histamine in the fish oil; it could just be a regular allergy. The manufacturers swear histamine is removed during processing and would not be present in the oil fraction. And my usual reaction to non-fresh fish is a mad dash to the toilet.

Be that as it may, I'm done with fish oil. I did some research and found a low histamine fish that is frozen on the boat. It's called hoki and is fished off the coast of New Zealand and Australia. It's rich in fish oil The New Zealand fishery is carefully regulated. Several reputable companies fish for hoki including Sea Lord. You should only buy the unbreaded fillets. The breaded version is processed on shore.

I've been eating hoki for several months and have only had to run to the toilet once. I've loved having access to fish after several years of avoiding it. Fish tacos. Consider giving hoki a go if it's available in your area. Good luck.
Hi Sarah, I haven't had time to re-read my prior posts in this thread to know what was up with me and fish in 2015, before my life was taken over by a succession of three caregiving roles. But I have also found that fish frozen on the boat is the most tolerable option. I seem to handle some canned fish but not others. Sardines are never really a problem for whatever reason, and they've become quite a staple due to their low cost among fish options. I buy them in water, drain, and mix with my own olive oil. When I'm spoiling myself, I find that that Whole Foods frozen sockeye works quite well. The cod is iffy, but any reaction I sometimes have to it isn't too strong. For a while I was ordering boat-frozen sockeye salmon to my door. That was exquisite and I didn't react to it. I will look into the Hoki, so thanks for mentioning it!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Getting DHA while Having Histamine Issues

Post by SarahB »

Glad to hear you figured out your fish oil conundrum, and I'm amazed you can tolerate sardines! Just thinking about boat-frozen sockeye salmon makes me salivate! And sadly, I've read reports that the hoki fishery isn't as sustainable as claimed. I've pretty much confirmed that my fish oil tablet is a true allergy not a normal histamine reaction but is more likely to be a regular allergy. Hope you can take care of yourself during your care-giving years. S