Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Dany_ele
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Dany_ele »

tinepola wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:18 am Hello everyone,
I am new here, and very glad to have discovered this, since I am quite alone in this APOE4 quest. I am a 48 year old woman from Europe, and was diagnosed last year with APOE4/E4. I have a PhD in Biology and am currently supervising 11 PhD students and several MSc students, and coordinating two major project in Africa. I always had a sharp memory and fast mind, so I was thriving in my job. However, I am experiencing cognitive decline since a couple of years, forgetting stuff, problems finding the right words, difficulty to focus and concentrate (I feel 100% ADHD while I could focus so good previously), to speak fluently (especially in other languages), and this is really bothering me in my professional life, but also at home, since they need to repeat things to me and think I am simply not interested in what they say. But I am also in my perimenopause. I do not have the typical hot flushes, but am sleeping very badly, being warm and cold and warm again. Have strong headaches and estrogen going from 500 to 100 and back. I tried Zoely to keep this in check, but that made me very depressed and I gained 5kg so I stopped after 5 months. But I always have been an awful sleeper (cannot switch my mind off), and have been on sleeping medication for a few years after my divorce (and now try yoga nidra with a CBD+melatonine supplement). I also had 3 major surgeries for endometriosis, and battled with CMV and Epstein Barr (at some point they diagnosed me with ME, but luckily I could get better thanks to diet, supplements and exercise) and some tropical disease I contracted when doing fieldwork in Africa. And I had COVID twice and am now in my third episode. So my viral load is quite high unfortunately. And finally, I also had a lot of dental issues and gum infections, which I know is not good. Apart from that, there is Alzheimer in my family on both sides, and we could finally convince my mother to do a Montreal test soon (I had 24/30). I try to keep calm and focus on other things, but I can become very worried from time to time. My mind was/is my life, my profession. I am eating very healthy with lots of veggies, fibres, fermented food, etc, but I still have high LDL, triglycerides (like my mom). I started going to the fitness since january this year, and I have always been cycling and walking quite a lot, and yoga (nidra). But I don't know what I can do more. I started listening to podcasts, reading scientific papers, take some extra supplements that are advised, but it is so hard to know what is the right thing to do since everyone is different. Since I have endometriosis I can not simply do hormone replacement therapy, and it is so hard to find good doctors that have a holistic view. So I feel quite lonely with this, because my partner does not want to talk about this, he had his share with personal loss recently, and people around me do not even know what APOE4 is all about... So any advice or names of good doctors in Europe is welcome.
Welcome to the community! I'm so glad you found us and are willing to share your story. It takes a lot of courage to be so open about your experiences. I can only imagine how challenging it must be to navigate your APOE4 diagnosis, cognitive decline, and perimenopause symptoms all at once. It's impressive that you're taking proactive steps towards your health, from eating a healthy diet to exercising regularly and exploring supplements.

I can understand why you'd feel lonely in this journey, especially when those around you might not fully understand what you're going through. It's great that you're seeking out a community that can offer support and guidance.

Have you considered consulting with a functional medicine doctor or a practitioner who specializes in integrative health? They might be able to provide a more holistic approach to addressing your health concerns.

Also, there are some great resources available online, such as the ApoE4.info website and the Bredesen Protocol, that might be worth exploring.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

tinepola wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:18 am Hello everyone,
I am new here, and very glad to have discovered this, since I am quite alone in this APOE4 quest. I am a 48 year old woman from Europe, and was diagnosed last year with APOE4/E4.
Welcome from another 4/4! It sounds like your Blood Brain Barrier is under constant assault from various viruses, which is critical to address. Obviously this is not all understood, but it seems that E4s are less able to remove stuff from the brain that results from the brain protecting against assaults that come across the BBB. Viruses (especially gum related, since it is right there by the hippocampus) and Toxins can cross the BBB. Covid has been shown to also weaken the BBB. I'm not up on menopause, but know that can be an issue and using bio-identical hormones can help. Use the search feature here to learn more.
Exercise is critical to maintaining the BBB, and you might want to add some weights to build muscle. How are your blood sugars? Also, what is your diet like? E4s are better able to utilize ketones in the brain than E3s. Lowering carbs and upping fat could help a lot with brain fog by providing a second fuel source.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
tinepola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tinepola »

Dear Mike and Dany,
many thanks for your helpful replies, that is very much appreciated. My bloods sugars are luckily fine. I did try the keto diet last year, but I had the keto flue, and lost quite some weight, so it did not feel so healthy for me, but I might be wrong. Also, my estrogen peaked after it, which could be due to the fat burning, but these high levels are not healthy for the brain my gynecologist said. So I am hesitating a bit to start again with the keto diet. Also, they say the microbiome is so important for your health, but with the Keto diet you will decrease your diversity since you are cutting out a lot of fruit and vegs... So really hard to make good choices. But I will try the bio-identical hormones, to see whether that helps. Cross your fingers! ;-)
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

tinepola wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:34 am Dear Mike and Dany,
many thanks for your helpful replies,
Since you are new, you probably aren't aware that if you don't quote someone, they won't know you've responded to them and may never see your response. If you go to our ApoE4.info wiki on "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website there's an explanation on how to quote under the subtitle, "Tools to use when posting".
tinepola wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:34 am So I am hesitating a bit to start again with the keto diet. Also, they say the microbiome is so important for your health, but with the Keto diet you will decrease your diversity since you are cutting out a lot of fruit and vegs... So really hard to make good choices. But I will try the bio-identical hormones, to see whether that helps. Cross your fingers! ;-)
You are absolutely correct that the gut microbiome is important for one's health, a leaky gut can lead to a leaky brain and subsequent neuroinflammation. But being keto adapted can also be a critical strategy for us ApoE4s and our brains. I don't understand the need to cut out fruits and veggies. I take it you're not familiar with neurologist, Dr Bredesen's Ketoflex approach to diet, you might want to visit our ApoE4.info wiki: Bredesen Protocol where there is an introduction to what he says about how to approach a keto diet.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4