Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Welcome!!!

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, friends. We've formed our non-profit and created this website in an effort to learn all that we can about the APOE-ε4 allele. When many of us old-timers first learned of our APOE status several years ago, the information for carriers of our high-risk allele was very sparse and oftentimes wildly contradictory. We soon learned that we were genetic pioneers, modern day canaries in the coal mine, who very often found ourselves lacking definitive advice from the medical community. We wanted to create a supportive place where we could learn together. We know you may be frightened. We've created this resource so that you don't have to take this journey alone.

We acknowledge that this forum isn't for everyone. The level of conversation can range from straightforward to very nuanced discussions about published research. We have no quick and easy answers to diet questions and other vital information. The reality is that definitive one-size-fits-all advice for APOE-ε4 carriers doesn't exist. Be very skeptical of anyone who claims to have such information. As carriers of the gene ourselves, we fully acknowledge the many unknowns. We are on the cutting edge, working with the scientific community, in our quest for answers.

We recommend starting with our primer authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele that offers accessible science background and prioritized sensible preventative measures. Other good resources include the search engine on our site, PubMed, and the internet at large in your quest for information. Always feel free to ask questions. We warmly welcome you and encourage you to roll up your sleeves and become your own health advocate.

Lastly, be aware that our staff is comprised of all volunteers. We're balancing our own careers, families, and health while trying to serve you. Please consider volunteering your time and talent to make us stronger. You can contact me at: juliegee@apoe4.info to find the best fit. Also, consider making a tax deductible donation to keep this free resource available to all. Everyone's participation enables us to better fulfill our mission. Thank you in advance for your understanding, participation, and generosity.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Thank you for the reminder Juliegee! ApoE4.Info, Inc. has helped me so much. I am forever grateful. I will gladly send a donation to help keep the valuable information flowing! And the lively conversation......
mbjoyner9
New User
New User

Post by mbjoyner9 »

I just found this site accidentally a few minutes ago. I just found out yesterday that I have one E4 variant; I got this information from 23 and Me. I do not know if my other "e" is 2 or 3. I do know it is not another 4. How can I find out what my other one is?
I also have read several articles suggesting that extremely high HDL cholesterol helps reduce the risk of AD. My HDL is 138 and has always been very high. I am almost 70 years old and female. My mother had AD that began to show in her early 80's.
Any info regarding these two issues would be helpful.
Thank you,
Melinda J
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Melinda. Welcome to our forum.
In answer to your questions, I am not sure why your 23andme only gave you one allele.
If it truly has only identified one, and the other is indeterminate, your best course would be yo do a specific apoe gene test either through your doctor or by yourself via a lab such as walkinlab.
Your second query, I am unaware of research linking high HDL and lower risk of Alzheimer's. Have you a reference? I have not specifically researched this facet. Maybe other members have?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Aha I have googled it. I see there was a Columbia study some years ago that showed an inverse correlation. This is good news for you. But IMO other factors need to be considered in every individual. Have you read our primer in our newcomers section?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mbjoyner9
New User
New User

Post by mbjoyner9 »

Thank you, I need to read more on this site....I was so excited to see it, I just skimmed it...."23 and Me" told me in my report that I had one e4 variant and might have a slight increased risk of of LOAD....that was it....thank you, again!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Please ask away after you have read the basic info. There is a huge amount to get your head around. Start here
viewtopic.php?t=1418
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome mbjoyner9! I echo Stavia's recommendation to look over the Primer when you get a chance. I'm blown away by your HDL! We have many threads discussing it's possible role as being both neuro and cardio-protective. Here's an early one that may interest you. Use our search engine to find more. Out of curiosity, I'd like to know about your diet and exercise. I'm wondering if that plays a role in your extraordinary levels. I'm also curious what the rest of your lipid profile looks like.
sailawaybb
New User
New User

Post by sailawaybb »

I'm new here.
I have a friend with Mild Alzheimer's.
My Birthmother had Alzheimer's for the last 20 years of her life.
I am Apoe 3/4

I am looking for a Bredesen Practitioner in Southern California, ideally in West L.A.,
but I'll drive my friend wherever needed.

We are beginning to follow the Protocol in terms of diet and exercise,
and have basic bloodwork 1 year old. Only deficiency is vitamin D (20).

Is there a list of Bredesen practitioners in California anywhere on these boards ?
I have tried the suggested lookup on Function Medicine using Cognitive and a zip code 90210 (Beverly Hills) which yielded no results.
Melissa at MPI Cognition has been promising me a list for a month now.
I know they are very busy, but it's very frustrating not to get a single name,
especially with the training session they did a few months ago in Huntington Beach.
PLEASE SEND ME INFORMATION !
Thank You,
BruBio
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, BruBio! So sorry that you're having a hard time finding an MPI practitioner. Try this link, enter "cognitive" in the search box, and your desired zip code. I think you'll find many physicians in your area. How kind of you to be reaching out on behalf of your friend. Given both your family history and E4 status, you're perfectly poised to apply all that you learn to optimize your own health.