WARNING re. Aricept (Donepezil)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
CindyM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: WARNING re. Aricept (Donepezil)

Post by CindyM »

deliot wrote:Greetings everyone, my sister Sally was diagnosed with unspecified dementia. Almost certainly Alzheimer's as our mom had it. Sally is 72. Her memory is deteriorating pretty darn quick. Our primary doctor recently prescribed Aricept for her and from what I'm reading, I can confidently say I'm on the fence. Should she get tested for those BChE-K genes, and whatever other bogeymen they may have found more recently concerning Aricept? And if so where could I find that test. And should I go ahead and order the Apoe4 genetic test from the Alsheimer's organization to start with? https://www.alzheimersorganization.org/alzheimers-test

Thanks for your time and assistance : )

Dave
Hello Dave and welcome to the Apoe4.info forum!

I'm sorry to hear about the decline of your sister-I know this must be a stressful time for you and your family. You came to the right place for more information and support from people who can relate to your situation.

To start with, feel free to browse the website as you may find some information that may be helpful to you.

If you haven't seen it already, I encourage you to check out our primer .This is a fantastic resource which explores areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. Our how-to guide is another helpful resource on how to search for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest and more. You can also check out threads that have been started by other members in our stories.

The link you provide to the "Alzheimer's Organization" is not the same non-profit as the Alzheimer's Association (https://www.alz.org), which provides lots of information that may be helpful. Click here to take you to more info about testing options like 23&me, which provides a Health and Ancestry test that's on sale until Nov 29 that is $99. This has been used by many forum members, in case you'd like to compare costs.

Like FloraMaria who has already responded, there are several individuals on this site that will be able to help you out with your questions.

Again, welcome! We are here to assist you, so please feel free to reach out any time!

Best,

CindyM
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Apoe4.info Welcome Team Intern