My version of a Ketogenic Diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: My version of a Ketogenic Diet

Post by Julie G »

Sorry, what I meant to ask in my previous posting re lipids and AD/CVD discordance: is doing all the things trending positive for CVD, are they all positive for AD (E4 specific of course)?
Great question. We have lots of hints that may be true. More and more evidence is suggesting that well-lipidated lipoproteins may be very beneficial for E4 carriers in terms of AD. Here's a recent study demonstrating it reverses brain pathology and behavioral defects in ApoE4-targeted replacement mice. Additionally, to the extent that higher lipids (especially HDL) is associated with apolipoprotein levels, Rasmussen's work demonstrating that lower levels predict future conversion to AD is pretty persuasive especially given the huge sample size and the fact that the study used actual humans. You'll note that this association was independent of APOE genotype.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Juliegee wrote:
It's interesting, I believe Gundry also recommends avoiding high amount of Cacao fat, and Coconut fat, particularly in E4s... But he's open to supplementing MCTs in E4s, which is 100% saturated fat at 14g per Tbs. So he's also anti-plant SFA in some regards. I never got around to testing lipids after including more C8 in my diet (up in the 15-40g/d range of supplemental saturated fat) -- I'd really like to see what that does sometime.
Apod, I'll defer to anyone with superior knowledge, but I'm pretty sure Gundry encourages both coconut oil and MCT for our population.
Julie, I think he's said to minimize coconut oil for us, but MCT's or C8 are OK. He modifies his views as he gets more data. This may be the case here. I tend to react to coconut, so exclude it anyway. Gundry also says to test and see what you can get away with. There is an E4 here with sdLDL of 12 (<30 is good), so can likely do what they want in this regard.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I just got updated labs from my annual physical. I thought I'd share them just to add to our database of N=1 diet/lipid interactions. Over time, my diet continues to evolve. It's still ketogenic; getting around 70% of energy from dietary fat, 13% protein, 17% carbs. I'm eating less animal protein now; only once a day (usually pastured eggs or fish) and some days with no animal protein. I've cut out all dairy. I'm fasting more and often eating only once a day. I easily maintain my BMI between 18.5-19.0 on this plan. I exercise daily and feel strong.

LDL- 79
HDL- 98
TGs- 50
TC- 187
_____
LDL-P- 823
Small LDL-P <165 (Odd reporting from a lab that has their own version of NMR's. For reference: 25%ile- 220, 50%ile- 634, 75%ile- 949.)
LDL particle size- 21.4, pattern A
HDL-P- 33.1
Large HDL-P- 13.9
HDL size- 10.2
_____
hbA1c- 4.7
fasting insulin- 1.5
_____
C-reactive protein- 0.1
Homocysteine- 8.7
_______
Vitamin D- 90

I'm kinda stunned by how low my lipids have gotten (understatement!), eating so much dietary fat; primarily high polyphenol EVOO and nuts. I'm also shocked at how much my HDL-P has dropped from 39.0 to 33.1. The other HDL parameters are off-the charts good/functional, but here's an example of how lower SFA affects me. I'm a bit surprised at how high my Vitamin D is. I plan to back off on supplementing a bit. I'm unhappy with the rise in my homocysteine. I've been backing off on my Bs in response to all of Susan's warnings ;). I'm going to strictly take them for a month and re-test, then add in TMG if it's still high.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Congrats, Julie! Great numbers.

Just a thought. Try upping your B12 first, as from what I understand that folate is mostly the problem child (or maybe just most studied). Then retest your homocysteine in a couple of weeks. You're so close, it might do the trick.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Susan, maybe the B12 will be lower when we decrease a major source of B12, animal protein.
Any thoughts why the HDL-particle count decreased? Mine did on a more potent statin. Have you taken any supplements like alma powder to lower the cholesterol?
Julie, you A1c has finally stayed low after so long at 5.3. Can't get any lower on the C-reactive protein.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Great numbers Julie!!

Know his position is controversial, but Gundry would tell you to keep your D right where it is.

Our macros aren't that different (and my fat is mostly monos) and I also got the best lipids I'd ever seen since going low carb ~8 years ago. They nearly rival my low-fat, high carb vegan days, but my insulin/glucose numbers are way better than on the LFHC.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Julie I agree with Susan about the B12.
Your other numbers are excellent!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'll definitely be consistent with my B-12. Great observation that my reduction in animal protein could be contributing to the homocysteine increase; paradoxical, but plausible. I'll still include folate and B-6 for the first month, then re-test and back off on the folate if my number improves.

I'm not taking anything to reduce cholesterol, other than my SunFiber. Maybe that reduced my HDL-P? With my connective tissue disorder/motility issues/SIBO, it's been very helpful. My daily intake of fiber is around 50 grams. I think that also helps with cholesterol absorption in the gut. I've also begun taking a tiny dose of WP thyroid (1/4 of a 65mg tablet b.i.d.) to optimize my subpar numbers. I think that helps enhance LDL-receptor/clearance.

My hbA1c was 4.8 at last check, so I'm holding pretty close to that number. I'm kinda surprised because I cheat a lot- dark chocolate, cabernet, at least bi-monthly popcorn pigouts :oops:. It's fun to see what I can get away with.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Julie G wrote: ... I cheat a lot- dark chocolate, cabernet, at least bi-monthly popcorn pigouts :oops:. It's fun to see what I can get away with.
Doesn't tarnish your Wonder Woman rep with us an iota. :)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
deborahk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deborahk »

As this forum proves, there are many who believe in the benefits of a ketogenic diet. I asked Laura Baker, lead researcher of the Finger Study from Wake Forest. She's leading one of the more significant studies on how lifestyle impacts cognitive health. Hope you find this interesting!

Here's her take on the ketogenic diet:

https://www.beingpatient.com/ketogenic-diet-alzheimers/

And an interview about the Finger Study

https://www.beingpatient.com/metabolic- ... lzheimers/