My version of a Ketogenic Diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: My version of a Ketogenic Diet

Post by circular »

My LDL-P came down from 1/2013 to this month, from 881 to 843. I shifted away from eggs (used to eat two a day, now none) and ate more olive oil (roughly 2-3 tbs/day?). (Although I wasn't trying to lower LDL-P and would have been satisfied with 881 unless hearing otherwise.) So I wonder if Dr. Gundry might say that EVOO will add benefits (vis inflammation and amyloid) but without increasing LDL-P?

That shift also appears to have lowered six other lipidemia numbers, which were already good, but my HDL-P (34) and HDL (62) and HDL2b (34) all need a boost, and as expected, inflammation is rearing its head. Apo B is lower and now normal, though I'm not sure if that's from taking out the eggs.

It would be interesting to have these doctors all disclose their own numbers! :!:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

FYI Dr. Gundry had to postpone to either Monday or Tuesday, TBD Monday am. It will probably take me some days to pull together some notes.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Good luck with the inflammation, but the LDL-P is fantastic!
facu0001
Contributor
Contributor

Post by facu0001 »

Hi, Would you mind to post the pictures of the diet again Juliegge? (They are pixelated) Thank you once more :D
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Good job on the improvements, circular. I use lots of evoo and I think that helps. I know the experts all recommend eggs, but whenever I eat them much, my LDL goes way up. So again, I guess it's an individual thing. Anyway, keep up the good work.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Nancy, thanks, I'm back on pasteured eggs now again, two a day, occasionally three, and also now ketogenic so eating even more EVOO. I expect my LDL-C and LDL-P to go up, but if LDL-P is still reasonable and I'm not oxidizing, I'll be happy. Plus want to be a calcium scan to finish out the picture.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Wow, Circ! An LDL-P of 843 is amazing. I'm a little confused about the timing of this test with regards to your diet. Can you describe the diet you were eating prior to this test? Also what inflammation numbers increased? Good luck with your upcoming appt. I hope you'll share what you learn.

Sorry, Facu. We had a site update about a year ago that erased many of our photos. I'll try to add an update with pics soon.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Sorry Julie, I don't recall so well. But it seems from my notes above that it was the phase when I wasn't eating eggs but had increased my EVOO. I had already been generous but not abundant with EVOO, so I'm not sure if I'd increased it from generous before this test, or was at the generous phase. That's as precise as I can be?

The note about the appointment on Tues was from last Sept when I had my first and only consult with Dr. Gundry. I plan to repeat in the last summer or early fall again.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I've been promising to update photos that were lost in this thread for a while.

A typical first meal for me would include;
-Four to five cups of organic, non-starchy, preferably seasonal and local vegetables
-Some limited starchy vegetables, sweet potato wedges, for beta-carotene.
-Pastured eggs that are naturally high in Omega-3s. Notice the yolks are very lightly cooked to preserve the choline.
-I generously use pink Himalayan salt along with sea vegetables for iodine, and other fresh herbs and spices.
-High polyphenol extra virgin olive oil as a dip for my vegetables
-Fermented vegetables
-Bone broth (fat removed) for gut health.
image.jpeg

A typical dinner for me would include:

-Five or more cups of organic, non-starchy, preferably local and seasonal vegetables, lightly cooked or raw.
-Wild caught seafood or very occasional pastured beef or lamb.
-Liberal use of healthy fats such as avocado, olives, nuts, seeds & high polyphenol extra virgin olive oil.
-Liberal use of seasonings including pink Himalayan salt, sea vegetables, infused vinegars, fresh herbs and spices.
IMG_2409.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

I am early into the anti-AD diet/exercise protocol (3 months), but very LCHF ketogenic (my 1st early labs had 0.5mmol/L ketones).

Spreadsheet below shows the vast majority of the dietary regiment, rotating between various % each meal. I don't count calories, but for certain I am on reduced calorie intake, as my weight has plummeted (combined with intense exercise).

As for nutrients and vitamins, I believe these foods pretty much have all that I need, although I will check more in depth next labs.

Juliegee, avocado and pistacchio (and other nuts) are chock full of potassium...all you need, do you really need to supplement?

The one searing question I have, now that CVD is somewhat on my radar (secondary to AD), what is the lipids profile on this protocol, especially the whole small LDL-P/CVD debate??!!

From DaveKeto blog, he has a link on with Dr. Dayspring, discussing ketogenic LCHF and high small LDP-P count.

http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/11/17/ketosi ... dayspring/

This thread refers to a n=1 female PALEO LCHF vs. a NON MEAT LCHF, ergo, much higher SFA intake.

My spreadsheet below shows I am consuming the bare minimum of foods with very LOW SFA, and HIGH MUSA/PUFSA. I eat NO red meat or dairy, and consume NO carbs/sugars (other then veggies).

The link below quotes Dr. Dayspring re improving small LDL-P count.

For people who want to control their LDL-P while at the same time remaining in ketosis, Dr. Dayspring proposes three options:

"Do nothing and hope for the best.
Decrease intake of saturated fat
Start a statin and/or ezetimibe (depending on absorption/synthesis markers).

..sometimes the combination of 2 and 3 need to be employed."

I am anti-pharma unless compelled, no other choice, impending injury.

So..without knowing my unique n=1 lipids 3 months from now, what could they possibly be?

I am NOT eating red meat/dairy SFA and hard carbs per the context of Dayspring above?!

And I have not delved deeper, but there MUST be a difference in SFA profile between red meat-dairy and SEAFOOD/NUTS...there must be? The molecules of the SFA profile of fish/nuts/meat/dairy are DIFFERENT = different biological pathways.

So a further deep dive on this whole debate is does the specific TYPE OF SFA matter in this whole small LDL-P debate as it relates to CVD, and AD?

I've been wondering, just putting it out there before digging further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE