Spirit animal

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Spirit animal

Post by TheBrain »

TheresaB wrote:
alysson wrote:Theresa, beautiful hummingbird pics! Mine pale in comparison. Do you have a special camera, or do you use your phone?
Thank-you Aysson. I don't use a phone, I use my DSLR (digital single lens reflex) Nikon and a long lens. It has autofocus, but I've found when taking bird pictures, the camera tends to focus on a branch or the feeder instead of the bird, so, as I did with these pictures, I often switch to manual focus, take lots of pictures and hope a few come out in focus, well lit, and well composed. Then I crop down to really accentuate the subject. I'm also pretty experienced at it, I've set up two hummingbird feeders and have lots of flowers which they feed on, so, at least over the warm months, I get plenty of opportunities which I take advantage of.
Thanks, Theresa. I guess if I ever want to get serious about photography, I need to get a better camera and a long lens. Closeups of anything just haven't worked well.

When my husband, Tim, and I lived in Coal Creek Canyon (in the foothills west of Denver), we ended up having up to eight hummingbird feeders going at the height of the season. I have to give Tim full credit; he nurtured the community. We went through a lot of sugar water!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Sam Smith
New User
New User

Post by Sam Smith »

Theresa, these pictures are wonderful!
Can I ask, what type of camera did you use to make a photo? I think that I'll buy the same. As for me very nice images.
Sam
Last edited by Sam Smith on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smith
New User
New User

Post by Sam Smith »

Theresa, thank you for your beauty pictures! It's a really great. Can you specify please, what type of photocam did you use?
Also I'd like to share with you ideas. I found not bad site which classified on photo editing etx. What do you think about it?

http://fixthephoto.com/blog/retouch-tip ... uched.html

Best regards
Sam
Last edited by Sam Smith on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Sam Smith wrote:Theresa, thank you for your beauty pictures! It's a really great. Can you specify please, what type of photocam did you use?
Hi Sam;

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. We are a website set up to help people at high risk for Alzheimer's, and are not a photography site per se. If you are interested in reducing risk for Alzheimers, great! Please tell us more about yourself. If your main interest is in photography, we are not the right place for you. But Theresa may respond any way due to your shared interest.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Sam Smith wrote:Theresa, thank you for your beauty pictures! It's a really great. Can you specify please, what type of photocam did you use?
Best regards Sam
Welcome, Sam!

Here is a quote from Theresa, describing what she used. Of course, it's not just the camera, it's the eye using it!
TheresaB wrote:I use my DSLR (digital single lens reflex) Nikon and a long lens. It has autofocus, but I've found when taking bird pictures, the camera tends to focus on a branch or the feeder instead of the bird, so, as I did with these pictures, I often switch to manual focus, take lots of pictures and hope a few come out in focus, well lit, and well composed. Then I crop down to really accentuate the subject. I'm also pretty experienced at it, I've set up two hummingbird feeders and have lots of flowers which they feed on, so, at least over the warm months, I get plenty of opportunities which I take advantage of.
I hope you share more about how you found Theresa's beautiful pictures: does she have an internet fan club she's been keeping from us?!
4/4 and still an optimist!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

My spirit animal has been the dolphin, active, playful, chatty, protective but generally not aggressive. My son says his is the pelican, very loyal, and can be part of a group or sustain independence. Both of us spent a good deal of time on the pacific side of northern Florida when we were young. I am a Leo but feel more of a connection with dolphin/porpoise than lion. Fun reading everyone's post.
CoachJD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachJD »

Welcome Sam Smith,

As "Slacker' states, this website and its forums are for people concerned about their risk for developing cognitive decline. We are a sharing and caring community and you are welcomed to join us if this is the right place for you. If so, please let us know more about you by posting in 'our stories' so we can direct you to the best places on the site to start your journey.
Joan Dickason, FMCHC
National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches, CertificationPending Fall 2018
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional " Haruki Muraka
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

Rather than a Jaguar which is "solitary and stealthy," I choose the Tiger which is "solitary and strong." btw, I saw both as a frequent visitor to the Cougar Mountain Zoo when I lived in Seattle.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Mine is the Dolphin often called a porpoise....but my son's is a pelican "Oh what a bird is a pelican, His beak can hold more than his bellycan, He can hold in his beak enough food for a week and I don't know how in the Hellican!!!" I have swum in the Atlantic ocean with dolphins since I was a little child and prefer the butterfly as it reminds me of romping in the waves with them.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

PBW wrote:Mine is the Dolphin often called a porpoise....but my son's is a pelican "Oh what a bird is a pelican, His beak can hold more than his bellycan, He can hold in his beak enough food for a week and I don't know how in the Hellican!!!" I have swum in the Atlantic ocean with dolphins since I was a little child and prefer the butterfly as it reminds me of romping in the waves with them.
I envy that you got to swim in the ocean with dolphins :) . I wish I could but:
  • I'm not a good swimmer
    I would never do the ones where you have to pay to swim w dolphins who are held captive
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none