Member Google Map (with some biomarker spreadsheet talk)

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Member Google Map (with some biomarker spreadsheet talk)

Post by circular »

I think that we can really enhance the regional meetup concept by using Apoe4.info's Google account custom map function, but it would take a support person managing it and willing to help connect the anonymous members (one of our interns who might stay around a while?).

The support person would take a member's information via personal messaging in the forum, add it to a new member row in a spreadsheet kept in the Apoe4.info google account. This information, including one's latitude and longitude for maker placement on the public map, could include (according to each member's preference) their name, 3/4 or 4/4 (2/4 etc), year apoe status discovered, email, phone number, willing to provide one-on-one support, interested or not in regional meetups, etc.). The spreadsheet would then be uploaded/updated to the account's custom Google map.

Google Maps would then create a map with a public web address that would show where the opting-in members are, while each member would control what information about them appears publicly. A visitor could click on a marker in their area and see whatever information that person had submitted.

The organizer would need to be willing to help connect those who's contact information isn't public. Perhaps some volunteer local organizers would come forward so the new person could just be put in touch with the local organizer for their region.

There should be a disclaimer that once provided information has been uploaded, if a member later requests it be taken down there is no guarantee that it will be gone from public viewing forever.

This kind of behind the scenes, private connection, could be done without a public map, but it would also just be interesting to see where people are and use the visual display for public awareness. In fact any member could appear anonymously on the map and just have entered 'no' to 'wants to connect with other local members' (or whatever the column headings would say). This would allow it to be an uber map of our membership's geographical distribution while also being used to facilitate local connections.

Too big a project, especially as the group will undoubtedly grow and grow and grow?
Last edited by circular on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Member Google Map

Post by SusanJ »

Cool idea. We have so many things we could do for sure. Julie and I were just talking yesterday about how hard it is to keep the lights on just with the volunteers we have, so we'd need some tech type to adopt us for the geeky stuff. And we're growing after Bredesen's book release, which makes the routine stuff even more challenging.

Sigh, just not enough hours in the day. :|
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Member Google Map (with some biomarker spreadsheet talk)

Post by circular »

I know and it's going to get harder with time :? but felt I should put the concept out there. You never know when or where a volunteer with a specific interest and skill set will show up who's not currently on the volunteer roster. I'd love to do this but can't work it in myself. Maybe in the future. I suppose it could start as a simple, anonymous membership map just to visualize the membership (even then we're talking potentially starting with 1000 or so rows), and then later more info could be added and it could morph into a local meetup database. It's one of those things that the more time that passes without getting started, the harder it would be to get it off the ground ... if, that is, it's thought to be a worthy project in the long run.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I'm really organized, and good with details, and actually like behind-the-scene projects. Please put my name on the list of those interested in being introduced to the nuances.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hmmm, I already have access to the account for the biomarker spreadsheet, so I could help get a Google Map spreadsheet setup and approved by the board and share it with you for data entry. I don't do anything in that Google account other than occasionally bring up the biomarker spreadsheet and would only add a new project there if the board wants me to, so I'll stand by. I recognize it could be awhile for a full assessment of this idea if you're interested in helping, since the board probably already has a full agenda under discussion.

Maybe you'd be interested in helping with the biomarker spreadsheet too through the document sharing function? I got it started before I rather suddenly became a caretaker of an AD parent, so it's been a sleepy project for a long while now. It's occurred to me that it should be updated with Dr. Bredesen's biomarker targets from his book, as well as any other new data out there (I'm thinking that gal/expert who did the great slides on hormone replacement at the recent conference, but I have brain fog this morning and can't pull up her name).
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Wow, that is an impressive undertaking! Are you thinking of Dr Ann Hathaway? Definitely would be a good addition, as would Dr Mary Kay Ross who is working very closely with Dr Bredesen?

Dr Jill Carnahan and Dr Mark Menolascino are major speakers in the Bredesen training. Would they be good additions?

How is this information used? Or, by whom is it used? (I wasn't aware of it.)
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

It's really just a reference for forum members or anyone else with the link. We post these tidbits all over the forum and one day I thought it might be useful to pull them into a centralized resource. It could also be interesting to more easily compare the targets different researchers adopt.

I'm not quite sure how to draw the line as more researchers and doctors come out of the woodwork. I wouldn't want it to get too unwieldy, especially when many really won't have many entries in the rows, yet it's also hard to stick to a strict set of parameters. I'm open to ideas.

Thanks, yep, Ann Hathaway. I just added a column for her. I didn't take notes when I listened to the video of her presentation since I was driving.
Last edited by circular on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Oh forgot the others you mentioned. Dr Mary Kay Ross for CIRS, yes, good idea. Does she promote particular biomarker targets that may be different from Dr. Bredesen's so there'd be something to put in her column? Or if she falls in line with Dr. Shoemaker I think he'd be the reference point.

Can you tell me more about Dr Jill Carnahan and Dr Mark Menolascino?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Circ, I really like the idea of a member locator map. It would be wonderful way to help connect folks. We have an upcoming BOD meeting on 10/7. If we have volunteers, who are willing to set it up and keep it running, I don't see why they won't approve. Great initiative!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Circ, I think you are probably right about the biomarkers of Dr Mary Kay Ross, but I don't know for sure offhand. (Dr Bredesen definitley speaks very highly of her.) Both Dr Jill Carnahan and Dr Mark Menolascino are Functional Medicine practitioners, and were both speakers during the Bredesen training in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. (Both are instructors at FMCA also.)

Dr Carnahan developed a very aggressive form of breast cancer at a very young age (while in medical school), and beat it. Not long after that she developed Crohn's Disease, and beat it. After her office building basement flooded, and she thought everything had been restored, she became affected by toxins (which, as you can hear in her breathing when she is tired, she is still dealing with). She credits functional medicine for her recoveries. Her presentations were: Initiating and Tracking Laboratory Evaluations: Inflammatory, Glycotoxic, Atrophic and also Mycotoxins and Cognitive Impairment: Foundations and Standard Care. She also participated in question and answer sessions, and presented case studies.

Dr Menolascino comes from a family of doctors, but was interested in the space program, until he met Dr Dean Ornish. That changed his path back to medicine. His clinic is in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. His presentations were: Telling the Story: Motivation, Caretakers, and the Collaborative Care Team and also Initiating and Tracking Interventions: Inflammatory, Glycotoxic, Atrophic and also Hormonal Contributors: Evaluation and Interventions. He also participated in question and answer sessions and presentation of case studies.

As they participate heavily in the Bredesen training sessions, they are likely very much in line with his markers. (Although, I think I do remember Dr Carnahan differing somewhat on diet.)

Here are their websites:

Dr Carnahan https://www.jillcarnahan.com

Dr Menolascino https://menoclinic.com

You are right, it is impossible to include everyone and perhaps similar markers should be paired.

Another ambitious project! I can see how the site is expanding.
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2