Alzheimer's Solution by Sherzai's...Thoughts?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Ghanamama3
New User
New User

Alzheimer's Solution by Sherzai's...Thoughts?

Post by Ghanamama3 »

I am new to this forum and I browsed through some of the recent postings and may have missed comments on this book. I recently read "The End of Alzheimer's" by Bredesen (which is how I found this group). I just read through the "Alzheimer's Solution" by Dean and Ayesha Sherzai. This book has many similar points to Bredesen's, but the diet is quite a bit different. I can't find a comparative review. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a vegan versus a ketogenic diet.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's Solution by Sherzai's...Thoughts?

Post by Stavia »

hi and welcome to our forum.
I haven't read the book myself. I expect that there would be many commonalities such as exercise, sleep, stress, social engagement etc. as this is the Loma Linda community who have wonderful lifestyles and support networks.

But there isn't a dichotomy of vegan and keto. Its a false dichotomy. One can be in ketosis with a vegan diet very easily by using avocado, olive oil, nuts and intermittent fasting. One can be not in ketosis with a non vegan diet.
Some of us eat a mainly plant based diet with a bit of animal protein and limit saturated fat . Some of us eat freely of animal protein. Others may eat no animal protein. But most of us prioritise plants as the majority of our diet.
Some of us run in ketosis to try and make up for our defective apoe4 mitochondria. Others don't.

I personally cannot see how there can be one "ultimate" truth in terms of diets as there is evidence for several variations. This group welcomes all interpretations of the entire body of evidence.
So...if you are a vegan by inclination - you are very welcome to join our discussions to find the best individual way for each of us. :)
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Stavia wrote:But there isn't a dichotomy of vegan and keto.
Just backing Stavia up here. My husband and I call ourselves "nearly vegan" because we eat mostly vegetables, nuts, avocados (a fruit), and olive oil with a little animal protein here and there (not every day) and yet we maintain ketosis for metabolic flexibility. There is no precise formula for a keto diet, there's flexibility, although an individual's make-up plays a role too, some folks seem to be able to consume more carbs than others and maintain ketosis. For our genetics and from our research for the best way to eat, we feel minimal animal protein is best, but we could easily be vegan and keto.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
sylvieJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sylvieJ »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I hear your confusion regarding diet - it is definitely the most challenging with so many view points with good research to back them up.
Thank you Stavia for offering your insight. All we can do is experiment with our own bodies and bring a lot of awareness to our body's responses.
For more information, I kindly suggest that you read over the PRIMER as it is filled with great information that you may find useful.
PRIMER

There are many experienced members in this community who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Please reach out and post your questions. We are all here to share and support.

Many regards
Sylvie
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I actually read this book before Bredesen’s. I wasn’t terribly impressed. I liked their overall heart towards the subject, and they’ve clearly seen results. But the book itself was light on the details and heavy on the anecdotes. It helped to get me into the frame of mind that there is hope...but other than giving me the impression that vegetarian/vegan is good for you, it didn’t give me many specifics. I was struggling the whole time, because I just don’t feel I’m ready to go vegan. I was happy to find Bredesen’s book, which has a LOT more detail to it. That said, I don’t think it’s an awful book. Just a lot of pieces missing.

And as Stacie pointed out, the fact that they’ve seen reversals and success with a different clean lifestyle than the others, tells me that it isn’t a one-size fits all prescription we are looking at. I can find a diet that meets criteria but still lets me ENJOY my food at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
waltezell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by waltezell »

Here's how I stumbled upon The Alzheimer's Solution and what I've learned about it:
I was on a frustrating quest to find a local physician who would work with me on the ReCODE protocol. I thought I had finally found someone after my then-current doctor referred me to a colleague. She practices the new field of "lifestyle medicine" and asks all her patients to watch the Forks over Knives video and read How Not to Die. She is unswervingly committed to a vegan diet. When I asked about helping with the ReCODE protocol, she hesitated and urged me to read The Alzheimer's Solution. There is one thing she and How Not To Die keep coming back to: plant-based food has higher "nutritional density" than animal products, and all animal products, even wild-caught salmon, are associated with higher risks of cancer and heart disease. Studies seem to confirm this, so I am now pivoting to a vegan diet. Stack that with gluten-free and (mostly) sugar-free and it's a trip!
The "Solution" book follows the same dietary lines as How Not to Die. My new doctor thinks a vegan diet is incompatible with keto, so this is a point of conflict. I will continue to investigate. The Alzheimer's Solution is easier to read than The End of Alzheimer's and the advice is much easier to follow, without the details that are hard to master and the many blood tests that need to be interpreted and followed up on. During my second visit I told her I would try to reconcile the two approaches.
It looks like I might have to work with a distant doctor certified to implement the ReCODE protocol. The closest one is 500 miles away in Pittsburgh. This is odd, because one of the chapters in The First Survivors of Alzheimer's was written by someone who lives in South Carolina, where I live. I wish I knew how to reach her and get a referral.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

A fellow e4 on a plant-based diet. While I appreciate the Sherzai's work, they keep their info so 'lite' that it doesn't inform as much as I'd like. Still, I'm glad they are doing their work.

Vegans: Make sure you get enough algae DHA (2g-3g per day) and choline!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR