NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Post by TheresaB »

hairyfairy wrote: I can see a near future where we have genetic apartied, & people with bad genes are treated in exactly the same way that black people were treated in South Africa a few years ago.
Gosh I hope not, that would be so ignorant. Genetics is not destiny. Genes only lay the framework but the VAST MAJORITY of ALL chronic illnesses occur come from how we influence our genes (epigenetics).

The ApoE4 gene has been pivotal to humans thriving literally since the dawn of man, it is actually good/protective under certain circumstances. We’re just the right gene at the wrong time. Only today’s modern times with its unhealthy western diet, sedentary lifestyle, stressful urban conditions, and sleep patterns that contradict circadian rhythms have been detrimental to the allele we carry. Such modern day habits are contrary to the conditions that our gene “grew up” with over millions of years. These conditions that aggravate our allele also aggravates the ApoE3 and ApoE2 alleles, we just respond sooner. But this is a blessing not a curse for us! As “canaries” we possess a certain urgency that the others do not and we have this website to connect with “enlightened” folks who understand we are not Alzheimer’s patients waiting to happen. We are here to do something! I'm glad I learned I'm an ApoE4/4. Rather than feeling that I’m a victim of my genes, I know there are things I can do and such knowledge is empowering. If I wasn't an ApoE4 I'd still have a laissez faire attitude and follow certain poor lifestyle practices. But I know there is an imperative and I can do something about it! I can follow a diet that maintains insulin sensitivity, lowers my inflammation, and keeps a low level of ketosis. I can make moving a priority. I can incorporate practices that keep stress at bay. And I can prioritize sleep. With these strategies I know I’m giving Alzheimer’s and all other chronic illnesses a difficult path to follow. I don’t have to lay in wait for a miracle pill.

What is great is through this website we possess the knowledge to exercise certain lifestyle practices to counter ignorant thought that ApoE4 = Alzheimer’s. If there is a group of folks we should shunt away and treat poorly, it's those who continue to treat their genes with horrible health practices and refuse to do anything about it, they're driving our health care costs through the roof.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

hairyfairy wrote:I know that it`s a bad idea to be ashamed of having bad genes, but people can be prejudiced about them...A lot of people might think twice about marrying someone who might not only pass a disease on to any children they might have, but also become a burden to them a few years into the future.
Do people think twice about marrying someone whose parent died at a young age of cancer? Even with 4/4, the risk is about 50% currently by age 85, which happens to also be the current life expectancy in the US.
For what it’s worth, my terrific husband says marrying me was the best decision he’s made. He is Apoe 3/3 and knows full well what AD entails, since both our mothers had it.His was more impaired than mine, so APOE 3 is not a guarantee of life without challenges.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Jdeppe123
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jdeppe123 »

Hello,
Just wanted to chime in regarding Harrison's hi-lite....

Everything about our relationship to Alzheimer’s is in flux right now. The disease — once thought to be unpreventable — is beginning to look more like a multifactorial illness that might result from poor diet, a sedentary lifestyle, chronic inflammation, exposure to chemicals in the environment and genetics... Bravo..
I for one agree that knowing and doing everything you can to prevent this condition, is far better than not. My mom is a dementia patient and I carry the 3-4 combo. I find it startling to read that anyone would do nothing, when there is something. All of the above is something that I encourage all to do their best at... I certainly am....Great article and thank you to Pagan Kennedy.