Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

MagicBean wrote: The Silicaid-making process seems like too much of a hassle for me at this point in my life. For environmental reasons and wanting to avoid ingesting microplastics, are there any commercial silica waters that are available in glass bottles? What are your thoughts on the microplastics and arsenic found in Fiji water for ApoE4 and others at risk for AD?
I have been told by several people that making the Silicade is very easy once you get all the ingredients. The recipe may look daunting at first but it isn't.

I do not know of any water rich in silica that comes in glass bottles.

Regarding microplastics in Fiji, there is no reliable research showing microplastics in Fiji water despite what is reported on the internet.

Regarding Arsenic in Fiji - Fiji water is very low in arsenic. I have testing results done by the Fiji water company and a 3rd party lab and the test results for aresenic in Fiji from both labs found .001 ppm of arsenic in the water. This is well below the safe level set by the FDA which is .01 ppm.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

MagicBean wrote:Ugh, I just saw that the 75 mcg of levothyroxine I've been taking for my hypothyroid for the past 20 years has aluminum lake. Geez, I feel sometimes like I take two steps forward and 5 steps backwards with everything there is to think about and do. I can't not take this medication... I guess I could ask my doctor to switch me to 50 mcg (which has no dyes) and take one and a half pills a day but insurance probably won't cover that. Argh.
My husband had no problem with the insurance paying for the 50 mcg (he takes 25mcg).
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

MagicBean wrote:Also, since cannabis is on the aluminum list, does that mean we should avoid CBD oil and extracts?
Regarding CBC oil and extracts containing aluminum, I am not aware of any analysis for aluminum having been done on these products. I have done several searches.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

laurie wrote:
You may be OK as some wrappers have a lining over the aluminum so the chocolate doesn't come in contact with the chocolate. It is so difficult to avoid aluminum that's why drinking silica rich water on a daily basis is important. If you have an Ohm meter you can check to see if the wrapper is aluminum or if there is something on top of the aluminum. However your chocolate may contain aluminum. One study found aluminum in chocolate and cocoa powder. The study didn't say what chocolate they analyzed nor did they say why chocolate contains aluminum. If the chocolate bar has a colorant carmine which is from cochineal insect it contains aluminum. Aluminum is used in the process of making carmine. Here is the study for chocolate. Stahl, T., Taschan, H., Brunn, H.; Aluminum content of selected foods and food products, Environ. Sci. Europe; 23:37 (2011) https://enveurope.springeropen.com/arti ... 4715-23-37
Great info―you're an aluminum expert :idea:
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

MagicBean wrote: I cannot find any plant-based yogurts without an aluminum seal on top. It seems most dairy yogurts have this seal as well. While it hovers over the surface of the yogurt, there's always some yogurt on the surface of the seal which means it's at some point coming into contact... would you advise against consuming yogurts like this or is it okay as long as we're not eating the yogurt on the seal itself?
My husband has tested several toothpastes tubes, children squeeze containers (food pouches), seal for yogurt, coffee pods and all of them had a plastic coating. You may want to call the yogurt company and see if they cover the aluminum with plastic. If you do contact any companies let me know the results. Thanks
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MagicBean wrote:
laurie wrote:
You may be OK as some wrappers have a lining over the aluminum so the chocolate doesn't come in contact with the chocolate. It is so difficult to avoid aluminum that's why drinking silica rich water on a daily basis is important.
I cannot find any plant-based yogurts without an aluminum seal on top. It seems most dairy yogurts have this seal as well. While it hovers over the surface of the yogurt, there's always some yogurt on the surface of the seal which means it's at some point coming into contact... would you advise against consuming yogurts like this or is it okay as long as we're not eating the yogurt on the seal itself?
Food in aluminum cans also has a plastic coating.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

laurie wrote:
MagicBean wrote:Ugh, I just saw that the 75 mcg of levothyroxine I've been taking for my hypothyroid for the past 20 years has aluminum lake. Geez, I feel sometimes like I take two steps forward and 5 steps backwards with everything there is to think about and do. I can't not take this medication... I guess I could ask my doctor to switch me to 50 mcg (which has no dyes) and take one and a half pills a day but insurance probably won't cover that. Argh.
My husband had no problem with the insurance paying for the 50 mcg (he takes 25mcg).
Late to this but my insurance has no problem paying for a variety of combinations of Levothyroxine on 90 day RX's for a different reason. I was taking 100mcg per day and my doctor walked me up a half a pill over a few years until I was taking 1 1/2 tablet 4 days a week and 1 tablet 3 days a week. I had no trouble getting this filled on a mail order 90 day RX with the correct number of tablets.
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

MagicBean wrote:
Yes, I was able to switch to 50 mcg (taking 1.5 pills a day)!
Great news. Thanks for sharing.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse