Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:Laurie and others, ConsumerLab says in their boron review that citrate containing supplements increase the absorption of aluminum from medicines and foods. They claim if you don't have kidney issues and don't take aluminum containing medicine's, it's okay. I don't recall this coming up before but may have missed it. I suspect a lot of us take citrate containing supplements. Maybe if we're otherwise not ingesting any aluminum (maybe requires eating all organic everything?) it's okay. Dunno.
Once again you have found some important and interesting information. Thanks. Here is a write up my husband did on what he found. Yes we should be careful about taking supplements containing citrates with the exception of calcium citrate. More importantly we need to focus on identifying sources of aluminum in our daily lives and eliminating as many as we can.

Citrate’s Effect on Aluminum Absorption, Accumulation, and Elimination

Dennis N. Crouse, PhD 10/16/20

Citrate increases both absorption and elimination of aluminum: Calcium citrate 0.95 grams per day taken with 2.4gr/day of aluminum hydroxide increases urinary aluminum by as much as 11-fold as compared with a control group only given aluminum hydroxide. However, plasma aluminum levels were the same in the two groups. Aluminum accumulation was not measured1. Therefore, to prevent aluminum absorption do not mix citrate with aluminum containing drugs, such as antacids. There are aluminum free antacids.

Aluminum accumulation depends upon the ion paired with citrate: Over a 4-week period daily ferric citrate corresponding to 2 to 4 grams of citrate a day increased the accumulation of aluminum from food 2-fold in the brain and 20-fold in the bones2. Calcium taken daily at 1 gram of calcium as calcium citrate and 2 grams of calcium a day as tricalcium citrate for 24 months showed no change in urinary and plasma aluminum levels and no aluminum accumulation in bones3. Therefore, to prevent aluminum accumulation only take calcium citrate. Avoid other citrates not containing calcium.

Aluminum elimination depends upon the ion paired with aluminum: Intravenous administration of aluminum citrate compared with aluminum sulfate proved that aluminum excretion is enhanced with citrate but not when it is paired with sulfate4. Oral administration of citric acid in orange juice (approximately 17,000ppm5) laced with aluminum compared with the same mixture with 10ppm orthosilicic acid added, proved that orthosilicic acid at over 1,000 times less concentration than citric acid either increases aluminum elimination 10-fold or decreases absorption of aluminum 10-fold6. Based upon the work of Chris Exley it is now know that the former is true7. Therefore, to increase aluminum excretion and remove accumulated aluminum from the body, drink orthosilicic acid in silica rich water.

References
1. Coburn, J.W., et al.; Calcium citrate marked ly enhancers aluminum absorption from aluminum hydroxide; Am. J. Kidney Dis.; Jun.; 17(6):708-11 (1991)
2. Gupta, A.; Ferric citrate hydrate as a phosphate binder and risk of aluminum toxicity; Pharmaceuticals (Basel); Sep: 7(10):990-8 (2014)
3. Sakhaee, K., et al.; Calcium citrate without aluminum antacids does not cause aluminum retention in patients with functioning kidneys; Bone Miner; Jan.; 20(1):87-97 (1993)
4. Shirley, D.G., and Lote, C.J.; Renal handling of aluminum; Nephron. Physiol.; 101:99-103 (2005)
5. Penniston, M.D., et al.; Quantitative assessment of citric acid in lemon juice, lime juice, and commercially-available fruit juice products; J. Endourol.; Mar.; 22(3):567-70 (2008)
6. Edwardson, J.A., et al.; Effect of silicon on gastrointestinal absorption of aluminum; Lancet; 432:211-2 (1993)
7. Exley, C., et al.; Non-invasive therapy to reduce the body burden of aluminum in Alzheimer’s disease; J. Alzheimer’s Disease; 10:17-24 (2006)
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
jenniferthequeen
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by jenniferthequeen »

Hey all - I have cut my dependence on plastic Fiji bottles by making Laurie and Dr. Crouse’s “Fauxji” water for at least a year now. In addition to being eco-conscious, I think drinking the water has helped me regain some vocabulary I may have lost.

However, at the end of the day with this process, you are still left with a bunch of used, hard plastic, carbon filters. I reached out to Brita, and they have partnered internationally with Tera-Cycle to set up a painless recycling program.

If recycling is your jam, what follows is the link to the program.

https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades/brita-brigade

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

jenniferthequeen Love the name. Thank you so much for finding this! I signed up. I will post this in as many places as I can find. I think it said you ship to them when you have 5 pounds. Do you know approximately how many filters that is?
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

jenniferthequeen wrote: If recycling is your jam, what follows is the link to the program.

https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades/brita-brigade
This is great news! I've just switched to AquaTru and contacted the company to see if they can work something out with them too.

Meanwhile, I bought the materials to make Fauxji ( :lol: ) water now years (!) ago and still have not been able to focus on doing it.

Laurie is it possible to do it with AquaTru water somehow? I think quite a few here are using that countertop reverse osmosis filter.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:

Laurie is it possible to do it with AquaTru water somehow? I think quite a few here are using that countertop reverse osmosis filter.
Regarding filters and making Silicade, you have to use the Brita filter for making the Silicade. This step can not be eliminated as there are impurities in the ingredients which need to be removed. The Brita filter is unique as it filters out aluminum but does not filter out the OSA (the form of silica in the water). You can start the recipe with RO water but I would suggest adding calcium and magnesium back to the water as RO water has no minerals and minerals are essential for our bodies to function. This is an optional step in the recipe. One of the common questions asked when people first make Silicade is people see little particles floating in the solution. This is fine. This is the insoluble material. Silicade meets the American water works Association standard B 104-98 for adding sodium silicate to drinking water as Silicade contains 99.5% water soluble sodium silicate and 0.5% max. of water insoluble materials
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

laurie wrote:
circular wrote:

Regarding filters and making Silicade, you have to use the Brita filter for making the Silicade. This step can not be eliminated as there are impurities in the ingredients which need to be removed. The Brita filter is unique as it filters out aluminum but does not filter out the OSA (the form of silica in the water)...
Thanks laurie! I'm sure you've said that and it's probably in the instructions. Years of caregiving are slowly passing by and it seems a lifetime ago I was last thinking about this.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:
laurie wrote:
circular wrote:
Years of caregiving are slowly passing by and it seems a lifetime ago I was last thinking about this.
Caregiving is beyond a full time job. Whoever you are caring for is very fortunate to have you. Take care of yourself. Let me know if you have any questions once you make the Silicade. Here is a link to the video of Dennis making Silicade. Once you have the ingredients it takes about 10 minutes to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po8IuIXjCME&t=5s
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
jenniferthequeen
Contributor
Contributor

Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's - Introduction of myself to the community

Post by jenniferthequeen »

laurie wrote:jenniferthequeen Love the name. Thank you so much for finding this! I signed up. I will post this in as many places as I can find. I think it said you ship to them when you have 5 pounds. Do you know approximately how many filters that is?
Hey Laurie - It looks like the eight used filters I have don’t even weigh two full pounds! Each filter, dehydrated, weighs about 3.5 ounces, so about two dozen filters to get to your five pound mark.

Based on my usage - that equates to about a year’s supply.

jozef
New User
New User

Post by jozef »

laurie wrote:
circular wrote:

Regarding filters and making Silicade, you have to use the Brita filter for making the Silicade. This step can not be eliminated as there are impurities in the ingredients which need to be removed. The Brita filter is unique as it filters out aluminum but does not filter out the OSA....
Hi ALL,
I have an idea and i need your opinion of it
If the OSA remove harming aluminum from body So i guess it will remove it from the silicade water (unless the amount of harming aluminum in the impurities is so much) so in that case we can use regular carbon filter to get rid of the other impurities and i think we will not need to add baking soda to water and we will only have to add little sodium bisulfate to reach the ph 7 of water .
So what do you think about this ?
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

jenniferthequeen wrote: Hey Laurie - It looks like the eight used filters I have don’t even weigh two full pounds! Each filter, dehydrated, weighs about 3.5 ounces, so about two dozen filters to get to your five pound mark.

Based on my usage - that equates to about a year’s supply.

Thanks for the information. I haven't heard back from the company. I will try again.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse