Coffee vs Tea and Homocysteine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Coffee vs Tea and Homocysteine

Post by Plumster »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and interested in learning from you all regarding the benefits of coffee versus tea as a preventive strategy.

Some research suggests that coffee raises the homocysteine levels of those with a C677T gene mutation and that tea lowers it. (I have that gene mutation.) Yet I read that coffee is highly preventive for those with an e4 gene. And then Dr. Breddesen recommends tea as a preventive measure rather than coffee. What do you find to be the most up to date and accurate scientific evidence regarding tea versus coffee?

Thanks!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Coffee vs Tea and Homocysteine

Post by apod »

I've also read that many of the benefits from green tea are from a folate-blocking mechanism:

The antifolate activity of tea catechins: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15781612

Maternal Tea Consumption during Early Pregnancy and the Risk of Spina Bifida: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4557736/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Plumster! I'm unaware that Dr. B is opposed to coffee. What do you mean when you suggest that he prefers tea as a "preventative"?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Plumster wrote: Some research suggests that coffee raises the homocysteine levels of those with a C677T gene mutation and that tea lowers it. (I have that gene mutation.) Yet I read that coffee is highly preventive for those with an e4 gene.
Our wiki lists a few studies on caffeine that may cover what you are looking for; you can find it here. If the studies you are referring to aren't listed, providing references would be very helpful.

We also have a member who is an expert on homocysteine. She has a wiki entry on the subject that you can find here. I haven't read it carefully, so am not sure if it includes information on coffee and tea for C677T carriers.
Slacker
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Don't have any specific info on the methylation wiki about coffee or tea. The studies don't seem to be in any agreement.

So here are two of the latest research examples:

Coffee not good:
Coffee also have harmful effects. For example, diterpenoid alcohols increases serum homocysteine and cholesterol levels and thus it has adverse effects on cardiovascular system.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28853910

Coffee okay:
In conclusion, coffee intake of 1-3 cups/day and its polyphenols were associated with lower odds of elevated SBP, DBP, and hyperhomocysteinemia.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5372939/

My best guess is that MTHFR is likely to be a bigger factor on your homocysteine, along with other methylation variants. You can find more at https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Methylation

If you are concerned about your own response to coffee, you could test your homocysteine and just see what drinking coffee does to your levels.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

Personally, I have a strong response to most coffe, including decaf, that triggers rosacea.
Here is a link to Dr. Greger’s video on homocysteine. Pretty interesting but nothing about tea or coffee.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preven ... -vitamins/
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Thanks all! Also thanks for the links.

Julie G.: In Dr. Bredesen's book The End of Alzheimer's, he recommends tea. He says coffee is okay, but he prefers tea. I couldn't find an explanation for his preference.
Slacker: I will post my links to scientific articles if they aren't listed already.
Susan J: I got my homocysteine checked in November when I drank coffee and it was 10.8. I plan to get it checked again in April and have now switched to tea. I am not taking folate supplements, because I am COMT++ and can't do methyl donors well. I am unsure whether to supplement with folate currently or just get it from my diet (or folinic acid).
Roamingseer: I love Dr. Gregor's videos! He's my hero.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I would love your feedback and what I should do to lower homocysteine? I get quite a bit of folate in my (plant-based) diet, but my folate absorption is reduced by at least 40% due to MTHFR mutations. My B12 is high. I see that the link above recommends methyl B12 and methyl folate. I'm not sure these are right for me, but if they are, where would I find methyl B12 in such low doses?
My homozygous mutations are:
COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I just finished Bredesen’s new book and was wondering the same thing. I was considering switching to tea, as it is listed as a better option than coffee. It is a “green light” choice in the food chart. My homocysteine isn’t too bad but my hsCRP is.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

SusanJ wrote:Don't have any specific info on the methylation wiki about coffee or tea. The studies don't seem to be in any agreement.

So here are two of the latest research examples:

Coffee not good:
Coffee also have harmful effects. For example, diterpenoid alcohols increases serum homocysteine and cholesterol levels and thus it has adverse effects on cardiovascular system.
I wonder if a thick paper filter would help to reduce this side effect. If I recall, the main diterpenoids that float on top of coffee are largely filtered out. (I use a Chemex.)