Coffee vs Tea and Homocysteine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Coffee vs Tea and Homocysteine

Post by Plumster »

I read that a coffee filter made of paper doesn't make a difference (though I have also heard the opposite).
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Here is another reason to stop drinking coffee. If you are using a drip style coffee maker you are most likely consuming a large amount of aluminum along with your coffee. My husband who is a chemist recently tested several coffee makers for aluminum. "The B&D Model 1050 used for 1 year with hard water makes coffee with an aluminum level of 264% of the World Health Organization’s maximum level in drinking water" B&D is black and Decker. Here is a link to his write up. There is a list of a few coffee makers which don't add aluminum. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke.blogspot.com/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Plumster wrote:I read that a coffee filter made of paper doesn't make a difference (though I have also heard the opposite).
This is what comes up when I search my brewer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemex_Coffeemaker

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 162223.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4648805/

"A cup of coffee also contains lipids, which are mainly found in the form of two diterpene alcohols: cafestol and kahweol (Fig. 1). These molecules are sensitive to the roasting process and also largely removed from coffee when it is brewed using a paper filter."

"The thicker paper of the Chemex coffee filters may assist in removing cafestol."
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Roamingseer wrote:Personally, I have a strong response to most coffe, including decaf, that triggers rosacea.
Here is a link to Dr. Greger’s video on homocysteine. Pretty interesting but nothing about tea or coffee.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preven ... -vitamins/
Welcome Roamingseer;

When you are comfortable, post something about yourself under the "Our Stories" forum. We'd like to know more about you, how you got here, and what you are interested in concerning ApoE4 or dementia.
Slacker
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Plumster wrote:I would love your feedback and what I should do to lower homocysteine? I get quite a bit of folate in my (plant-based) diet, but my folate absorption is reduced by at least 40% due to MTHFR mutations. My B12 is high. I see that the link above recommends methyl B12 and methyl folate. I'm not sure these are right for me, but if they are, where would I find methyl B12 in such low doses?
My homozygous mutations are:
COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+

If I understand your post correctly, you've had your vit B12 tested. Do you know your folate blood level? If your vit B12 level is normal or high, and your folate is low, it makes sense to just start with methyl folate supplementation. The wiki recommends starting at 400 micrograms, a dose that is easily found.
Slacker
E4/E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Slacker,

I was taking folic acid and cyanocobalamin before I knew about my MTHFR mutations and I think they influenced my B levels for my blood tests in November. They were both extremely high. I am now taking hydroxocobalamin and eating folate rich foods--because I don't know whether to take methyl folate or folinic acid or nothing.

My Live Wello report tells me that I have increased levels of B12 due to my FUT2 (FUT2 rs492602 AG). I will re-test in April 2018, but would love to be doing the right thing right now to lower homocysteine. Should I take 400 mcg of methyl folate despite COMT++?

I should add that I tried methylcobalamin and methyl folate and did not feel good. But perhaps I started too high.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm so grateful this topic has been resurrected! My homocysteine has been slowly rising as had my coffee consumption :shock:. I've been diligent about my B-12, folate & P5P... and now plan to limit my coffe to 2 cups in the AM only to see if that helps.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Plumster wrote:Slacker,

I was taking folic acid and cyanocobalamin before I knew about my MTHFR mutations and I think they influenced my B levels for my blood tests in November. They were both extremely high. I am now taking hydroxocobalamin and eating folate rich foods--because I don't know whether to take methyl folate or folinic acid or nothing.

My Live Wello report tells me that I have increased levels of B12 due to my FUT2 (FUT2 rs492602 AG). I will re-test in April 2018, but would love to be doing the right thing right now to lower homocysteine. Should I take 400 mcg of methyl folate despite COMT++?

I should add that I tried methylcobalamin and methyl folate and did not feel good. But perhaps I started too high.
I have not studied SNPs very much so do not feel that I am the best one to answer your very good questions. Hopefully SusanJ or someone else more knowledgeable than me will drop in on this one. I wonder however that although your vit B12 and folate levels were high, they could not be utilized well, resulting in an elevated homocysteine. Feeling badly on the methyl versions of B12 and folate can point to starting with too high a dose. It's a tricky business!
Slacker
E4/E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Thanks, Slacker.

To add some more confusion to the mix, here's Dr. William Walsh on methylation status and that SNPs in themselves are not enough to determine each person's case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljuIdqEa84
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I’m COMT++ but take methyl forms of folate, B12 and B6 without issues. When I first used methyl B12 I thought it caused issues and stopped for a long time. I’ve now been back on it for a long while and I’m doing better overall, not worse. Not sure what the confounding variables were.

If we could only see how complex all this is. My underersnding is we have SNPs but without RNA sequencing we don’t know if they’re turned on or not (creating proteins). But I’ve been confused about that. I know genes are expressing or not, but wouldn’t some SNPs be so important they’d have to be on ... like APOE? But I digress .,,
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.