Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Post by floramaria »

johnseed wrote: So … some of the measures I can think of for a baseline preceding such a trial would be CNS vital signs and Brain HQ, in particular BrainHQ’s “Percentile Overview”.
However, as short term memory is the cognitive feature that is most clearly declining, I wonder what other tests there might be that would focus on this particularly so that I could get the best indication possible as to whether the supplements were having much effect there?
Since you are using Brain HQ and know how to check the Percentile Overview, you'll notice that under the overall score there are separate scores for Attention, Brain Speed, Memory, People Skills, Intelligence and Navigation. The only kind of memory BrainHQ can gauge is short term memory; unless you are already at 100% for Memory, you could track how much your Memory score improves as one "Memory Metric".
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnseed »

Thanks Floramaria.

yes BrainHQ certainly provides one memory metric. I'd also like to find standardised metrics that measure my more medium range memory as well , remembering events from yesterday and last week.

Have you begun to supplement with ProdromeNeuro, ProdromeGlia, and Prodrome GTAs. When do you think you might re-test following this protocol?

Its interesting that although Dr Goodenowe seems to see his supplements as useful for prevention, and the word "prodrome" denotes the period between the appearance of initial symptoms and the full development of a condition, his trial cohort was people with moderate to severe dementia. Furthermore, If I understood the results correctly, those with more severe dementia showed better improvement than those with less severe.

So, I think that a trial investigating whether the supplements bring about cognitive changes for those with SCI and those with genetic predisposition but absence of symptoms will be of great interest.

After all the activity on this thread up to mid July, I was a bit surprised to see no response to the mid-August podcast.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

johnseed wrote: Have you begun to supplement with ProdromeNeuro, ProdromeGlia, and Prodrome GTAs. When do you think you might re-test following this protocol?
Hi johnseed, Yes I have been taking all three Prodrome supplements since spring, after I got results from my ProdromeScan. I have purchased a new test kit, but have not gotten the blood draw yet. Though I wanted to re-test after about 6 months, my plan now is to get the blood sample drawn either in CA or AZ since I have had very bad luck with blood draws being contaminated, coagulated, or improperly processed in my home state of NM. (And that's not just me. Several other people I know have had the same problem here.) For my first test, I used the mobile phlebotomist arranged through Prodrome Sciences while I was in CA and I may do that again.
Second consideration is that I am doing a fairly intensive heavy metal detoxification protocol right now and for the next couple of months, and will probably wait until I am finished with that, and a wash out period, before I re-test. So most likely I will be testing this winter. I will definitely post the results here.
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnseed »

[quote="Tincup"][quote="johnseed"] Hi Tincup, I'm sorry to hear about your son. I will try what you suggest with the cards and also start using the kaatsu bands again. Thanks for your help.
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnseed »

floramaria wrote:
Tincup wrote: The consultant suggested adding HCl and enzymes supplements when I eat. I did and my glucose control eating carbs got much better. Just after this suggestion, this book, "Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and GERD" came through my feed. Reading it indicates that low stomach acid is very common as we age and may be a huge cause of poor digestion and not absorbing nutrients, like the iron and maybe the Cu..
ThankS for the book link, Tincup. Looks interesting. As a side note here in our plasmalogen thread: when I got the Quicksilver Metals Panel a couple of months ago, almost all of my nutrient metal levels were low even though I eat a mineral-rich diet and supplement too. In the post-test consult, I was told the same thing as you were told. Most likely I have absorption problems from low stomach acid. Recommendations were for HCl and digestive enzymes.
I've been having problems getting my ketones up in spite of good diet, faecal fat test found I wasn't absorbing fat, checked pancreas no problem there, Dr Bredesen suggested I try digestive enzymes and this has improved the situation but I suspect it can improve further. Given the lack of regulation of supplements and the accompanying horror stories, I wonder if you guys could recommend the brand and dosage of HCl that worked for you?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

johnseed wrote: I've been having problems getting my ketones up in spite of good diet, faecal fat test found I wasn't absorbing fat, checked pancreas no problem there, Dr Bredesen suggested I try digestive enzymes and this has improved the situation but I suspect it can improve further. Given the lack of regulation of supplements and the accompanying horror stories, I wonder if you guys could recommend the brand and dosage of HCl that worked for you?
Hi johnseed. I am taking Pure Encapsulations brand with 520 mg per cap. Tincup is taking the HCl from Now, which is a little higher mg/cap. He also takes many more than I do. If you want to read more of the recent discussion of digestive enzymes and HCl it is in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1383&p=81958&hilit=Ram+rao#p81958

Tincup also posted a link to the enzymes he is taking in that thread.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

After all the activity on this thread up to mid July, I was a bit surprised to see no response to the mid-August podcast.
Thank you for resurrecting this thread, my friend it's an important one. I think that the podcast didn't get much attention on the forum because we didn't do a good job of promoting it here. See Theresa's write-up on our Facebook page where it received a lot of attention.
We’re stomping our foot on this one. A MUST LISTEN. It’s very possible Dr Goodenowe has found a game changer for ApoE4s. This podcast is almost 1.5 hours long, and a little science-y at times, but very understandable with many analogies, just let the few big words wash by, and listen to the concepts.
He explains why E4s accumulate more amyloid and what can be done about it.
He also addresses his recent clinical trial. Although the number of subjects was small, the results were remarkable and very hopeful, COGNITION and MUSCULARITY IMPROVED solely through his ProdromeNeuro supplementation.
This link also contains detailed show notes if you prefer reading to listening.
Our organization, ApoE4.info is very grateful for Dr Goodenowe. We’ve been connecting with him as a researcher for a few years now. He has been very generous to us with his time and knowledge. This is our second podcast interview with him.
You can access the podcast (with transcript and show notes) here: Dayan Goodenowe, PhD: Plasmalogens & Neurological Health (Part 2)
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefan »

Thanks Julie for the very informative podcasts with Dayan.
After reading also Dayans Book it looks like PSGs are a game changer. They have to be included in the ReCode Protocoll…. What does Dale think about this? I am excited to know…
It is a pity that Dayans labs are not available here in Europe.
Are PLGs contained in sea shells?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks Julie for the very informative podcasts with Dayan.
After reading also Dayans Book it looks like PSGs are a game changer. They have to be included in the ReCode Protocoll…. What does Dale think about this? I am excited to know…
It is a pity that Dayans labs are not available here in Europe.
Are PLGs contained in sea shells?
Hi Stefan. I was pleased to introduce Dr. Goodenowe to Dr. Bredesen. They've done a few joint presentations including a recent Facebook Live with me that you can find on the Dale Bredesen, MD Facebook page. Dr. Bredesen certainly considers plasmalogens to be one of the "holes in the roof" but based upon all that we've learned, I can't help but wonder if it's more like a solar panel. ;)

That said, if you have other unaddressed contributors like sleep apnea, vascular insufficiency, insulin resistance, mold, etc., plasmalogens alone are unlikely to be enough to reverse cognitive decline on a long term basis in someone who's already experiencing symptoms... but I'm open to being proved wrong.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

TheresaB wrote:For those interesting in learning more about plasmalogens, this paper Potential Role of Plasmalogens in the Modulation of Biomembrane Morphology was just published, 21 July 2021.
A hard read, but this section was of special relevance to our community - seems to me this is something that could help folks already starting down the Alzheimer's rabbit hole...
Translational studies of plasmalogens supplementation in Alzheimer’s disease revealed that there were improvements in the learning ability and cognitive function of the rodents when fed with plasmalogen-rich lipids (Yamashita et al., 2017) and significant improvement was observed in mild/early-stage Alzheimer’s patients when treated with oral supplements of scallop-derived plasmalogens (Fujino et al., 2017, 2018). However, the bioavailability of oral supplements of plasmalogens or plasmalogen precursors to the neuronal cells is still under investigation. Plasmalogens are carried in the plasma via chaperone proteins like LDL (Wiesner et al., 2009) and delivered to the tissues through LDL receptor-mediated pathway (Dehouck et al., 1997; Candela et al., 2008). Although some studies suggest that plasmalogen precursors (Wood et al., 2011), and DHA in the form of phospholipids can pass through the blood-brain barrier (BBB; Lagarde et al., 2015), plasmalogens may not be able to cross the BBB efficiently. These studies indicate that the brain tissue relies on the de novo synthesis of ether lipid rather than on the transportation of peripherally synthesized plasmalogens across the BBB. However, depleted levels of brain DHA, and presumably DHA-containing plasmalogens, could be replaced by sustained DHA supplementation (Salem et al., 2001). Enriching neuronal cell membranes with plasmalogens could improve neuronal function through modulation of non-lamellar membrane transformations and synaptic plasticity (Paul et al., 2019).
Sonoma Mike
4/4