Jessica Peña, MD / New York City, NY

Share our experiences, one topic per practitioner.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Jessica Peña, MD / New York City, NY

Post by shacherry »

https://weillcornell.org/jessica-m-pena-md

Dr. Jessica Pena
1305 York Avenue, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10021
P: 646-962-HART (4278)

I'm not being dramatic when I say that if I had not made an appointment to see Dr. Pena on my 50th birthday 3 years ago I would not be alive today.

I was not experiencing any symptoms of heart disease. My yearly annual physicals, cholesterol, and glucose blood test levels did not raise red flags for my primary care doctor. However, after self-reflection, I realized I had risk factors for heart disease and needed help determining my true risk. I saw several cardiologists who left things unclear. That changed when I went in to meet Dr. Pena who took the time to really listen to me tell my families and personal health story and put it all together, connecting the dots.

She ran advanced lipid, inflammation etc blood tests, (many talked about on this forum ) that helped us determine my next steps a Cat Scan angiogram ( x-ray of the blood flow to the heart). It detected a blockage in my main heart artery. I'm using lifestyle modifications like stress reduction through meditation , diet, exercise, and Crestor to eliminate the progression of the disease.

I am at ease knowing that Dr. Pena has my back for the long haul. A year ago when I went to see her and mentioned I felt my memory was slipping she referred me to Dr. Isaacson's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell. She knew that heart disease is a risk factor for AD and Vascular dementia. ( I had no idea, I'd assume most people have no idea).

Dr. Pena is part of a program at Weill Cornell Medicine, one of the highest regarded hospitals for heart conditions in the world, called HeartHealth. The whole focus of the program is assessing peoples risk factors and preventing cardiovascular disease. Each of us with the APOE4 are exactly the type of people Dr. Pena and her colleagues want to work with. The program is also dedicated to heart disease research and clinical trials. If you are in the Tri-State area or can travel to NY here is the information on the program.
Please mention Shari Cherry sent you and I'll meet you for a cup of coffee or tea. https://hearthealth.weillcornell.org/
ApoE 3/4
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Jessica Peña, MD / New York City, NY

Post by jkramer65 »

I'm in Westchester -- so super close -- and looking for a practitioner in the NYC are to begin my journey on this ReCODE (ish?)/prevention world. Does she subscribe to that type of protocol? I'm e4/e4 and just turned 53. No memory issues at this time. But have family history. Really want to get into a serious prevention mode -- just found out my status. Or is she strictly Cardio?
Thanks.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Thank you for posting this! I have had "stellar" labs when it comes to heart health (probably the direct result of my diet alone). Yet when I consider my genes and the fact that heart disease runs rampant throughout both sides of my family, I am still concerned. I will research this further!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

shacherry wrote: I am at ease knowing that Dr. Pena has my back for the long haul. A year ago when I went to see her and mentioned I felt my memory was slipping she referred me to Dr. Isaacson's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell. She knew that heart disease is a risk factor for AD and Vascular dementia.
Hi Shari,
Thanks for sharing the information regarding Dr. Pena. How wonderful that you found her and have been flourishing with her support and guidance!

I am curious to hear your thoughts on Dr. Isaacson's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell. How are you finding the program?
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

GLS18 wrote:
shacherry wrote:I am curious to hear your thoughts on Dr. Isaacson's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell. How are you finding the program?
I'm being followed by Dr. Ishii Dr. Isaacson's colleague at the prevention clinic. I am impressed they left no stone unturned when looking for the possible mechanism for what I was experiencing. I had an MRI, amyloid beta/tau spinal fluid tests, inflammation markers and paraneoplastic syndrome in the spinal fluid tests, genetic testing, and one 4-hour neuropsychological tests, twice one year from the next to compare results. I felt like my story was heard and understood as well as my concern validated when I discussed my family history of heart disease and vascular dementia as well as my symptoms and medical issues. He is encouraging and enthusiastic about my efforts to use diet, exercise, and supplements to help prevent the disease. Since he is more of a researcher, see his lab below, then a clinical doctor I like that I am able to talk about possible biomarkers and the science of this disease with him. Here is the good news.
Ultimately no tests showed evidence of a degenerative brain disorder. Since I have an overabundance of risk factors he feels it is prudent for me to continue to meet with him once a year. He made me laugh when he was talking about 20 years from now still seeing him.

https://weillcornell.org/makoto-ishii-md-phd

https://brainandmind.weill.cornell.edu/ishii-laboratory

P.S. As for Weill Cornell as a medical center. Most of the doctors I see practice there. What is striking in regards to all of them is the fact that they value my curiosity and are all out of the box thinkers.
ApoE 3/4
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

shacherry wrote:
GLS18 wrote:
shacherry wrote:I am curious to hear your thoughts on Dr. Isaacson's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell. How are you finding the program?
I'm being followed by Dr. Ishii Dr. Isaacson's colleague at the prevention clinic. I am impressed they left no stone unturned when looking for the possible mechanism for what I was experiencing. I had an MRI, amyloid beta/tau spinal fluid tests, inflammation markers and paraneoplastic syndrome in the spinal fluid tests, genetic testing, and one 4-hour neuropsychological tests, twice one year from the next to compare results. I felt like my story was heard and understood as well as my concern validated when I discussed my family history of heart disease and vascular dementia as well as my symptoms and medical issues. He is encouraging and enthusiastic about my efforts to use diet, exercise, and supplements to help prevent the disease. Since he is more of a researcher, see his lab below, then a clinical doctor I like that I am able to talk about possible biomarkers and the science of this disease with him. Here is the good news.
Ultimately no tests showed evidence of a degenerative brain disorder. Since I have an overabundance of risk factors he feels it is prudent for me to continue to meet with him once a year. He made me laugh when he was talking about 20 years from now still seeing him.

https://weillcornell.org/makoto-ishii-md-phd

https://brainandmind.weill.cornell.edu/ishii-laboratory

P.S. As for Weill Cornell as a medical center. Most of the doctors I see practice there. What is striking in regards to all of them is the fact that they value my curiosity and are all out of the box thinkers.

This is fantastic news Shari! I appreciative your proactive approach and commitment to taking charge of your health. Thanks again for your detailed and comprehensive feedback. It's great to hear that your thoughts and concerns were validated. It is an essential part of the process. I look forward to reviewing the links you provided in more detail:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

Thank you so much for the information regarding Dr. Jessica Pena, based on your recommendation, I made an appointment and met her two weeks ago. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment regarding her skill, knowledge and concerns. I am awaiting data from recent testing she ordered, in addition to gathering a Blood pressure baseline as she requested. The Alzheimer’s prevention clinic at Weil Cornell is currently not excepting new clients. I was able to get the name of a neurologist associated with the Alzheimer’s Prevention Clinic at Weil Cornell who is accepting new clients. I intend to call his office first thing this Monday for an appointment. I will report back, hopefully, upon learning more.

Thank you again for the recommendation of Dr. Pena, she is remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

PRESCOTT wrote:Thank you so much for the information regarding Dr. Jessica Pena, based on your recommendation, I made an appointment and met her two weeks ago. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment regarding her skill, knowledge and concerns. I am awaiting data from recent testing she ordered, in addition to gathering a Blood pressure baseline as she requested. The Alzheimer’s prevention clinic at Weil Cornell is currently not excepting new clients. I was able to get the name of a neurologist associated with the Alzheimer’s Prevention Clinic at Weil Cornell who is accepting new clients. I intend to call his office first thing this Monday for an appointment. I will report back, hopefully, upon learning more.

Thank you again for the recommendation of Dr. Pena, she is remarkable.

It seems that Weil Cornell is a leader in neurological disease prevention in NYC!
I found another doctor who seems to have very integrative approach to cognitive decline and Alzheimer's prevention.
Dr. Lisa Mosconi, PhD, is an associate professor of Neuroscience in Neurology at Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC)/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, were she serves as Director of the Women's Brain Initiative, and Associate Director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic.
She is well known for her brain imaging research on the early detection of Alzheimer’s disease. Her work is focused on risk reduction and prevention of memory loss and dementia through medical interventions and lifestyle modifications including diet, nutrition, physical and intellectual fitness.

I have not seen her. I heard her speak at one of the online documentaries series on brain health.
Here is here BIO and contact information and the website.

Looking forward to hearing if you or anyone else knows this doctor?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

I recently had a follow up cardio appointment with Jessica Pena. I first saw Dr.Pena in the Spring, 2019 to establish a baseline for my cardio levels, given my APOE 4/4 status. At the time Dr. Pena suggested I get a Cardio Ct Scan to identify cardio risk, given my age, 68, my A4 status, my total cholesterol reading of 205, my LDL, HDL, etc. Dr. Pena suggested I limit my sodium intake to 750 mg. per day, as well as purchase a Bp cuff to monitor and report my Bp twice daily for her review. My CT Scan score came in at 302, risk factor of 67%. My recent lipid panel came in at 150, excellent triglycerides, as well as HDL, LDL. I managed to lower my Bp considerably. I will add that I am quite strict about my lifestyle and diet, including intermittent fasting, sodium and sugar intake, as well as eliminating red meats and identified allergens, including gluten, wheat, dairy, on and on. I have taken up a rigorous exercise program, improved my sleep. Dr. Pena also had me start daily 10mg. statin. Not thrilled with that.

I say all of this, as I am so grateful to have found Dr. Pena through this forum, she has been absolutely wonderful, professional, sensitive, respectful and quite effective.

While in New York on my Spring visit, I walked over to the alzheimer’s prevention clinic at Weil Cornell. I referred to a neurologist, Dr.
Micheal Lin, who I met on my recent visit. I will post a separate review regarding that experience.

shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

I am so delighted that a fellow forum member found Dr. Pena to be a good fit for them.
ApoE 3/4