Alzheimer's: why no huge anti-AD movement?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Alzheimer's: why no huge anti-AD movement?

Post by Gilgamesh »

It is a bit odd that there isn't a bigger "movement" to stop Alzheimer's....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/nyreg ... demic.html
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Alzheimer's: why no huge anti-AD movement?

Post by Julie G »

Such a great analogy; spot on. Why no greater uproar? Ageism, sexism, resignation, the notion that dementia is a normal part of aging?

I found it encouraging that over 700 people, from all over the world, listened in on the Howard Federoff teleconference call today. People DO care...
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

one of the richest Canadian family foundation just gave $50 million to pursue research that is likely to give a quicker resolution.
Just heard a CBC radio series on 'As it Happens' moderated by Anna Maria Trimonti I believe which is likely on USA PBS radio about Alz. There is a large support network that is also increasing.

Americans are going to get it soon and start a like movement.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Julie, yes, ageism and (since women are more often victims) sexism; but also the absurd idea that it's a normal part of aging.

Spunky, I think you're right. Actually, what we need is not more people giving money because they're getting diagnosed with AD, but more people taking (soon to be available, or more available) tests of future risk! People should be scared while there's still time to act, and donate!

GB
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Maybe too much faith that research will provide a cure in a pill?

Choosing not to "hear", or feeling invincible (it won't affect me)? Think about how many people are overweight/obese and have heard all the warnings about the toll it takes on health yet do nothing to change.
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

Every time I see pink for breast cancer awareness, I think about the lack of an anti-AD movement. I think it is, as Susan mentioned, the feeling of invincibility. No one wants to recognize that this could happen to them, or to their family members.

I believe the disease IS becoming more visible, with less stigma, which will hopefully lead to more funding. Whatever you may think of Seth Rogan, he gets credit for raising awareness that AD is not just for "old" people.
4/4
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Yup. Sister diagnosed with AD and no one can say the word Alzheimers except me. Feels like the 60's when we werent aloud to talk about cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Old post I know, but I found this site and wondered if might be of interest

Women's Alzheimer's Movement http://thewomensalzheimersmovement.org
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

It's neat to see this post come alive again after four years! I read it and thought, "Wow, you're right" - even in this day and age when the statistics have become even higher than ever before, it many communities the thought process is that of "Well, it just happens.". I think Dr. Bredesen's work has helped tremendously in turning the tide, though (at least I hope it has.)

Kelly
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

I have wondered about this, too. The Alzheimer's organization, https://www.alz.org/, is attempting to remedy the situation but! they make no mention of Dr. Bredesen. What an injustice! I propose that many of the members of APOE4 write to them and to newspapers and TV stations. Demand that they read and then publicize Bredesen's work. He deserves our undying support (no pun intended). I did just that today. Do your part. This thread started in 2014, people. We are the ones who should be growing the anti-AD movement. LET'S GO!!