Anyone for the UK fancy joining a new meet up?

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone for the UK fancy joining a new meet up?

Post by GLS18 »

Leigh wrote:Hi,
Happy New Year!
I've literally just joined today (1st Jan) and very much in need of like minded/circumstance support.
I haven't been tested for ApoE4 yet, but my Ma has Lewy Body dementia and I've just finished reading Dr B's book. A little overwhelmed by it all but very positive!
Would love to meet up.
Leigh
Hi Leigh & A Warm Welcome To Our Community!

What a fabulous way to begin the new year with a focus on empowerment and support through connections and a community passionate about cognitive health! My heart goes out to you, as I know how tough it can be to witness a loved one struggle with cognitive decline.

As you delve into the wealth of resources like the Primer Sara mentioned, as well as the incredible stories, research, celebrations and challenges members share via our forums, my hope is that you will feel enriched and encouraged. You may also find How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4. Info Website helpful in navigating the site more effectively and searching for information on specific topics such as Lewy Body Dementia.

Wishing you and your Mom all the best! Please keep us posted as how you are both doing.

Again, a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
PeteWilliams
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeteWilliams »

I would be keen on getting to know the UK group. I can share our experiences on running the Bredesen programme.

Pete
Functional Medicine Associates.
Kristina
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kristina »

Hi

What a great idea to have a U.K./London meet up! I found out my 4/4 a week ago and must admit I am struggling, especially today for some reason[emoji17].

I am currently working in Iraq, luckily I have wonderful colleagues around me, but it’s still tough to be so far away from home. The U.K. is not really home, I am originally Swedish but have lived abroad for over 30 years. Anyway! Love to catch up any way possible. My email address is kristina.sandstrom@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Kristina wrote:Hi

What a great idea to have a U.K./London meet up! I found out my 4/4 a week ago and must admit I am struggling, especially today for some reason[emoji17].

I am currently working in Iraq, luckily I have wonderful colleagues around me, but it’s still tough to be so far away from home. The U.K. is not really home, I am originally Swedish but have lived abroad for over 30 years. Anyway! Love to catch up any way possible. My email address is kristina.sandstrom@gmail.com
Hi again Kristina,

I'm the senior support person who replied to your post last week, along with our health coach intern Emma. Your idea of "working abroad" is more adventurous than my son's idea of working in Portugal! Kudos to you for helping a country that has been ravaged by wars and massive humanitarian needs for what may be close to your whole life!

As for struggling today, let me reassure you that it's perfectly normal to have a rollercoaster of emotional reactions after a sudden jolt like this. Your brain is quite literally trying to integrate this new piece of news into the whole sense of self you have. It does get better; so feel free to give yourself permission to ride the waves for a while. When you're feeling most down, it can help to remind yourself of your strengths: you are multi-lingual; you have an open personality that seeks out new challenges; you adapt to challenging circumstances and are not afraid of situations that might be risk-averse to most; you have a high level of education (anything more than high school is great for your brain). I'm sure you can add to this list.

Also, please remind yourself that you are the same person you were before you heard this news. The neurologist I saw as part of a clinical trial said yesterday that about 50 million people probably have amyloid plaques in their brain, and many of them will never develop Alzheimer's. Even better, he said that at almost 68, my cognition has not changed an iota in the three years since I started screening for the trial--and I have not led a pristine healthy life!

So enjoy this current adventure, and trust that you and science will have a rock-solid prevention plan to get you through a long and exciting life.

And here's some tips to help you connect with others:
1. Using quotes of others sends them an email notification of your post. Without quotes, they may not see what you wrote. You can quote anyone by going to their post and clicking on the single quotation mark in the upper right corner.
2. You may not want your personal email open for anyone who uses this site or searches Google for "Iraq Apoe 4" You can edit your post by clicking on the pencil in the upper right corner of your post to remove your email.
3. Most of our members use Private Messages to communicate with others without sharing emails to set up meet-ups. Here's a link to how to do that: Using Private Messages.
4. To "search: for members in the U.K. and reach out to them using Private Messages, use this function: Search the Site for Information
5. To subscribe to this particular topic on UK meet-ups, so that you will always get an email notification if someone else posts, even if they don't quote you specifically, use the "wrench" tool icon just under the topic heading in the upper left of the page, just above the text box. Click on the wrench and then on "subscribe".

Keep posting Kristina! You are our first Iraq-based member--celebrate that today!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Kristina
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kristina »

I haven’t got the hang of how to respond with quotations and to individual messages! Hopefully you’re seeing this NF52- a HUGE thank you for your encouraging words[emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Kristina wrote:I haven’t got the hang of how to respond with quotations and to individual messages! Hopefully you’re seeing this NF52- a HUGE thank you for your encouraging words[emoji120]
I did! And you can try to quote me: Find the large quotation mark in the upper right hand corner of this post. Click on it. It will bring my reply over to a new text box. Just type anything after that, click on Preview underneath the text box to see how it will look, and then hot "Submit".

Here's some screen shots of how to do it: Using the quote function

You can do this, Kristina!
Kristina
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kristina »

NF52 wrote:
Kristina wrote:I haven’t got the hang of how to respond with quotations and to individual messages! Hopefully you’re seeing this NF52- a HUGE thank you for your encouraging words[emoji120]
I did! And you can try to quote me: Find the large quotation mark in the upper right hand corner of this post. Click on it. It will bring my reply over to a new text box. Just type anything after that, click on Preview underneath the text box to see how it will look, and then hot "Submit".

Here's some screen shots of how to do it: Using the quote function

You can do this, Kristina!
Hmmmm am I on the right track...?!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Kristina wrote:Hmmmm am I on the right track...?!
YES, you are flying along the right track!

You had what is an embedded quote, in which you quoted me, quoting you. That's just fine, and has the benefit of both people getting a notification. Since I am quoting you back, and want to focus just on your reply, i edited down the earlier quotes, making sure I left the beginning and ending "quote" brackets in place.

As for sending those private messages, check out the "how-to link" and see if that helps. Or, just quote each of the earlier UK users and copy your message from earlier. You can actually cut and paste multiple users' names on the same message, with this format:
[ quote="Kristina"] [ /quote] [ quote="NF52"] [ /quote]

Above, I inserted a space after each bracket so you could see the format. I can quote several people and then send them a group post below the "quotes". When I remove the extra space, it looks like this:
Kristina wrote:
NF52 wrote:
Have fun with our ancient software--it will feed your neurons ;)
Kristina
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kristina »

DRC31 wrote:Hi fellow Brits

I followed the link suggested elsewhere on this site to the London Clinic of Nutrition and they have a practitioner trained in the Bredesen Protocol, Helen Williams. I have booked an appointment and will let you know how I get on. £250 for the initial consultation. A lot of money, however, if you consider what is at stake, perhaps not.

Bob (DRC31)
Hi Bob

I am curious to hear how you got on. I am looking for a BRedesen practitioner preferably in or around London?

Many Thanks
Kristina

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wac »

Hi I'm new to the group and came across this thread after searching for UK members. Reading through the posts, did the meet up get arranged? I live in Birmingham but would travel to London no problem.

Bob, if you read this can you share your experiences from your meeting with Helen Williams?