Vision Improvement!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Vision Improvement!

Post by Julie G »

Woo hoo! After years of steadily worsening myopic vision, my vision has IMPROVED. My contact prescription used to be 3.5 & 3.25; now 3.0 and 2.75. I've been applying two strategies that I've learned about from our amazing tribe.

First, based on Tincup's recommendations, I've been purposefully exposing my eyes to light outdoors rarely wearing sunglasses. (He has a dramatic vision improvement story using this strategy that I hope he'll share.) Second, based upon several SNPs that indicate I poorly convert beta-carotene to vitamin A, I've been forcing myself to eat small amounts of grass-fed liver 3 times a week as a bioavailable source of Vitamin A. Given our relatively poor transport of lipids, I suspect it's especially important for our genotype to focus on optimizing fat soluble vitamins- D,A & K. Something seems to be helping. Happy dance! I'm actually looking forward to seeing the eye doctor next year.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Vision Improvement!

Post by KatieS »

Congrats ! I had a similar experience with my eyes dramatically improving, something I attributed to the drop in my homocysteine, antioxidant vitamins, etc... I no longer need glasses to drive.

Julie, are you concerned about the sunlight exposure increasing the cataract risks?
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

Julie G wrote:Woo hoo! After years of steadily worsening myopic vision, my vision has IMPROVED. My contact prescription used to be 3.5 & 3.25; now 3.0 and 2.75. I've been applying two strategies that I've learned about from our amazing tribe.

First, based on Tincup's recommendations, I've been purposefully exposing my eyes to light outdoors rarely wearing sunglasses. (He has a dramatic vision improvement story using this strategy that I hope he'll share.) Second, based upon several SNPs that indicate I poorly convert beta-carotene to vitamin A, I've been forcing myself to eat small amounts of grass-fed liver 3 times a week as a bioavailable source of Vitamin A. Given our relatively poor transport of lipids, I suspect it's especially important for our genotype to focus on optimizing fat soluble vitamins- D,A & K. Something seems to be helping. Happy dance! I'm actually looking forward to seeing the eye doctor next year.
Julie, that is FANTASTIC!!! I am really happy for you. I myself am a lover of liver (try saying THAT fast), but getting my family to eat it? Girl, I might as well ask them to eat chocolate-covered bugs. This is such great news, keep up the good work! There are so many uber-smart folks on this forum, I am truly fascinated by all of them.

Kelly
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

Man, thats awesome. Were you near or far sighted to begin with? Or both?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Wow! Very cool. I have that beta carotene conversion blip SNP too. I recently just added an RDA of vitamin A to my supplements. Want to boost it for my immune system. I probably should eat liver; have tried a number of times, but is is my top #1 (not just plain old #1) most disliked taste of All. Any reason you think taking a vitamin A pill with a fatty meal won’t work as well? Now I’m interested to see if my sight improves too :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Wow Julie G, that’s amazing. I too wondered about cataract risk. I have early evidence of cataract in one eye and my optician said to not only wear sunglasses (I wear transitions all the time anyway) but to wear a cap outside to reduce sun getting in over the top and sides of glasses. We do have thin Ozone in this part of the world which may increase risk, I know it does for skin cancers. I don’t feel comfortable wearing a cap so got sunglasses that go over my transitions when doing my daily walk. 8-) Like you Julie G, my prescription changes nearly every time I see the Optician. I’ve been even more paranoid about my eyes since recently being labeled a “ Glaucoma suspect “ for OAG in both eyes and CAG in one eye. Normal pressures but nerves a bit suspicious looking. So on annual recall. So exposing my eyes to Antipodean sunlight may be a bit risky for me, but I am delighted with your success Julie and would love to hear George’s story.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

That's great news Julie.

i remember when I last visited the Opticians they did give a leaflet saying about Vitamins and also folate, I think, so yes maybe these are causing a difference. Hope it continues. I also noticed that beta carotene snp...
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

Julie, that is AMAZING! I have been quite concerned about this as I notice my (already bad) vision worsening of late. Grass-fed liver, eh? I HATE liver but I bet you can mush it into meatloaf or something to make it bearable. How are you preparing it? Love this news...
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

This is so hopeful! Congrats Julie! I always wondered if sunlight in moderate amounts would actually be good for the eyes. How are you preparing the liver? I tried it last year and I just couldn't swallow it.

I too have SNPs showing that I don't convert beta-carotene very well so this is good news.

- Carrie
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

I’m with you Circ, can’t swallow liver. I can eat it though in pate with naughty stuff in like brandy, which disguises the taste well. Meatloaf sounds a good idea. Please post recipe if anyone has one. I really must try to get more of these nutrients. Thanks everyone.