Vision Improvement!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Vision Improvement!

Post by Julie G »

Just coming across this thread several years later & I’m curious what’s happening with your eyes lately Julie_G & Tincup? This is fascinating!
My improvement in distance vision has been maintained, but no further improvement. And, my near vision has also improved since I began taking Dr. Goodenowe's plasmalogen supplement. I no longer need readers for near vision. Not too bad for an old lady. :D
My eye doc told me about a humanitarian trip to Africa she made. The accountants & office worker were all near sighted and the outside workers far sighted.

Interesting and intuitive! We train our eyes what to do. Makes sense that we might be able to retrain...
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

Julie G wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:26 pm My improvement in distance vision has been maintained, but no further improvement. And, my near vision has also improved since I began taking Dr. Goodenowe's plasmalogen supplement. I no longer need readers for near vision. Not too bad for an old lady. :D
Holding steady over the last 3-4 years is great to hear, Julie G, and no longer needing readers is no small thing. Congratulations!

Adding plasmalogen to my list to research. The little I’ve read is intriguing & I very much like that it’s naturally occurring. (Wondering if you had your plasmalogen levels tested before supplementing?)

Thanks for all you do here!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

Tincup wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:14 pm
CAngelS wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:22 am Just coming across this thread several years later & I’m curious what’s happening with your eyes lately Julie_G & Tincup? This is fascinating!

I’ve wondered how vision could change so dramatically between generations (my parents & grandparents never needed glasses until they became somewhat far-sighted when were much older, while all of us kids needed them quite early) — it seems like environmental factors must be involved.
My eyes maintained in my most recent eye exam, a year or so ago. As I've been more inside due to COVID, I feel they may have regressed a bit. Being outside with no glasses is key for me. I've been doing my walks at sunrise, so not a lot of bright light. I plan to make an effort to get out more at midday. Ideally, I spend 6 or more hours outside skiing or rock climbing, with no glasses.

"I’ve wondered how vision could change so dramatically between generations"

I've seen or heard that the more time you spend outside, looking at the horizon, the fewer problems there are, including for children. One place I think I heard this was on a Huberman Lab podcast. Andrew Huberman is a neuroscience & vision prof at Stanford and one of my favorite science podcasters. Here is a top level search on vision on his site. His podcasts are timestamped, so you may be able to find the one where he talks about it.

My eye doc told me about a humanitarian trip to Africa she made. The accountants & office worker were all near sighted and the outside workers far sighted.
When I read your reply, I wanted to start researching, but first I spent some time outside!

Your experience is incredible, and the time you intentionally spend outdoors is inspiring. Also...your doctor saying you were the only one who followed her instructions:!: Do you know if she ever wrote up your case study?

I found a couple of quick articles after my walk and I'll keep looking further. But seriously, this makes me want to get outside in the best way!
https://primalherb.com/the-importance-o ... d-to-know/ (...the importance of early morning light, circadian rhythms, and many other health benefits of time in the sun, as well as the importance of what they call "earthing" or grounding our feet to the earth barefoot, as you mentioned. Fascinating.)
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)