Julie Rowin, MD / Westchester, IL

Share our experiences, one topic per practitioner.
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Julie Rowin, MD / Westchester, IL

Post by WillsMeme »

I found Dr. Julie Rowin on the Institute for Functional Medicine website. Here is information from her website: "Dr. Rowin is Board Certified in Neurology and Neuromuscular Medicine from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She also holds diplomate status with the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine. She is a graduate from Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine and completed her residency and her fellowship at Rush University Medical School. Dr. Rowin’s focus at APAC is on integrative and functional medicine relating to Neurological and autoimmune disorders. She specializes in Neuromuscular medicine, chronic pain, as well as medical acupuncture for a wide range of chronic conditions." I am ApoE3/4 with amyloid buildup shown on a brain PET scan, but I have no cognitive deficits. Dr. Rowin ordered multiple tests of blood, saliva and fecal materials. She spent an hour with me discussing the results, and recommended supplements as well as avoiding gluten, dairy, and sweets. Of course she also recommended exercise, meditation, adequate sleep and a healthy diet. I have just started the supplement regimen and will return for follow-up in three months. I was very impressed with Dr. Rowin and have recommended her to several people so far. Her website is http://www.apacgroupe.com.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Julie Rowin, MD/ Westchester, IL

Post by Julie G »

Thank you for sharing, WillsMeme! Please keep us updated on your progress. I'm curious if Dr. Rowin ordered your PET/FDG scan? She sounds great and is not too far from me :D. I'll upload her info to our wiki.
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

recommended supplements as well as avoiding gluten, dairy, and sweets. Of course she also recommended exercise, meditation, adequate sleep and a healthy diet.
Hi Julie, I am so glad you found such a wonderful provider! I am wondering if you know where you want to start with all these recommendations? The best part is that all those recommendations are just the right ticket to sidestep SOOO many of the chronic illnesses that are rampant in our society!
I hope you use some resources to make all those changes. Perhaps I can offer my very favorite place to start. If you have a smartphone you can download a free app called Calm. It offers meditations, relaxing music and my favorite- bedtime stories for adults. I have no idea what happens in these stories because the voice is so soothing I immediately fall asleep!
Best of luck to you!
Mary Ann
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WillsMeme »

Julie G, I had the PET scan as part of a Phase 3 clinical trial run-up. I "qualified" for the study and have been participating in the A4 trial for 3 years (recently extended from 3 to 4 1/2 years in length). I go for my next infusion tomorrow and will give them my list of supplements. I'm interested in how the study director will react. ;)
"Fortune favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Really interesting, WillsMeme. So you have no idea if you're receiving the drug or a placebo? I love that you're open to concurrently applying other protective strategies... but I worry they will confound your current study. It WILL be very interesting to see how the A4 folks react. Please let us know & best of luck with your infusion tomorrow. -xo.
Hi Julie, I am so glad you found such a wonderful provider! I am wondering if you know where you want to start with all these recommendations? The best part is that all those recommendations are just the right ticket to sidestep SOOO many of the chronic illnesses that are rampant in our society!
Waves, Maryann! Oops, is this meant for me or Dr. Rowin? Both Julies :D. FWIW, the thread was started by WillsMeme. Thanks for the Calm app tip. I'm going to check that out.
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

Hello WillsMeme, Does Dr Rowin submit the info to ReCODE Reports?
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WillsMeme »

I’m not sure. I’ll ask when I go back in August for follow up. She gave me a list of supplements to take to optimize my levels, so I assumed she was using ReCODE. I’ll let you know.
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Julie Rowin, MD / Westchester, IL

Post by WillsMeme »

Dr. Rowin says she uses the ReCODE protocol to achieve the levels recommended by Dr Bredesen but hasn’t taken his course. I’m very pleased with my results under her care so far.
roses
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roses »

Hi all,

I'm interested in seeing this doctor. Does anyone know if she does all the recode tests Bredesden recommends, what testing does she do? has anyone else seen her? Hope you are well @WillsMeme, would love to hear about your progress.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

roses wrote:Hi all,

I'm interested in seeing this doctor. Does anyone know if she does all the recode tests Bredesden recommends, what testing does she do? has anyone else seen her? Hope you are well @WillsMeme, would love to hear about your progress.
Hi Roses, First, I want to welcome you to the ApoE4.Info website and to our community. We are happy that you have joined us here.
When you are attempting to communicate directly with someone who has posted, in this case, WillsMeme, there are two methods. One is to quote the person, as I have done with your post; that way the person you are quoting is notified that there is a response. The other is to send a private message. You can find tips on how to do both of these, plus a lot of other useful info for navigating this website, like searching topics of interest, on our Wiki at the section titled How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info website. (Using @WillsMeme doesn't do anything on this website, as far as I know. )
While I don’t have any information or experience with Dr Rowin , I always suggest that anyone new to this site check out the excellent Primer, which has an easy to understands and comprehensive overview of the risks associated with the ApoE4 allele and also prioritized steps for reducing those risks.
If you are so inclined, we’d love to know more about who you are and what brings you to the website. A good place to introduce yourself is in Our Stories.
If you do get in touch with Dr. Rowin, please keep us posted on your progress.
Best wishes,
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health