Unfortunate side effect from melatonin.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Aslan16
New User
New User

Re: Unfortunate side effect from melatonin.

Post by Aslan16 »

Words cannot express how hopeful i am after stumbling across this forum - i am now on day 29 of constant chronic diarrhoea which is particularly bad in the mornings. The only other symptom i have (aside from the obvious exhaustion) is bad BLOATING. Both just came on suddenly. As this started on holidays abroad, the initial thought was it was a parasite - now, 3 sets of stool and blood tests on, they are all clear. So now, i am starting the whole bowel investigation process etc etc. Doctors being very good but perplexed as to the "suddenness" of this appearing and the fact that there are no other real symptoms. I am exhausted. So last night the penny dropped - i started taking Melatonin 3mg around 2 months ago. Ping ping - obviously i have stopped it immediately and absolutely praying this is the root cause. My question is this - did anyone else experience bad bloating with the diarrhoea? I haven't seen any mention of it on here and it would certainly put my mind at rest if this was the case. I really am grateful that i have had this forum to look through and really hoping and praying i have found my answer but only time will tell. Thanks everyone.
Attabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Attabeth »

Aslan16 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:42 am Words cannot express how hopeful i am after stumbling across this forum - i am now on day 29 of constant chronic diarrhoea which is particularly bad in the mornings. The only other symptom i have (aside from the obvious exhaustion) is bad BLOATING. Both just came on suddenly. As this started on holidays abroad, the initial thought was it was a parasite - now, 3 sets of stool and blood tests on, they are all clear. So now, i am starting the whole bowel investigation process etc etc. Doctors being very good but perplexed as to the "suddenness" of this appearing and the fact that there are no other real symptoms. I am exhausted. So last night the penny dropped - i started taking Melatonin 3mg around 2 months ago. Ping ping - obviously i have stopped it immediately and absolutely praying this is the root cause. My question is this - did anyone else experience bad bloating with the diarrhoea? I haven't seen any mention of it on here and it would certainly put my mind at rest if this was the case. I really am grateful that i have had this forum to look through and really hoping and praying i have found my answer but only time will tell. Thanks everyone.
Hi Aslan16,

I am pleased that you found this forum and hopefully the answer to your very unpleasant symptoms. I know how elated you are to have possibly found the culprit. I had the same symptoms for months and it is exhausting! After many, many months I discovered gluten in my diet as the source of my diarrhea and bloating. I can't speak for the melatonin causing bloating since that wasn't the source for me but hopefully someone will respond with a similar experience.
In the meantime, if you are interested in information about brain health or Apoe4 check out this link, welcome.
Again, I am happy that you found some answers here and I wish you all the best.

Be well,
Beth
barbS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by barbS »

Could a reduced amount be taken for a while??

I began with and continue to stay with 300 mcg. Taken mostly each evening, sometimes I am so exhausted - I feel I will be fine. I AM doing more and more 810nm NIR light on temples/forehead. And truth be told I am so relaxed by end of session. I also use a 635nm - 699 nm red light with NIR output of 700nm - 1000nm. I did purchase the nasal 810 from vielight. meh. not sure of results ;) and also the 40 hz Clarity bulb and audio device. I opt out of the bulb, not into the constant strobing. But the 40hz clicking is ok. On and off for over 5 months for that. All else I am following... so far so good.
ApoE 3/4
MTHFR A1298C
VDR Taq
all the other ++
MAO R297R MTHFD1L GAMT PEMT CCL2 SOD3 NSUDS7 ATG16L1 FOXE1 do these matter? :?: (I believe in "woo" cuz pharma never helped me)