Welcome to our new Meet-Up Forum!

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Welcome to our new Meet-Up Forum!

Post by floramaria »

CarrieS wrote:I'll start a fermentation meetup for those interested in creating their own fermented foods where we will make the ferment (for example sauerkraut or pickled vegetables) together while learning about it. I've done this with individuals so a group will be a lot of fun! If there is enough interest, I can set up different types of ferments and dates to accommodate the various time zones and countries. I'd love a lesson on how to use the video system that you've chosen to help me solidify my format and get my ball rolling.

YAY, Carrie!!! I want to be at your Meet Up!! Fascinated by fermentation and could use some instruction. I made kefir for awhile but couldn't keep up with the demands of those kefir grains....
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Carrie, I'm also very excited to learn more about fermentation. The more I learn about probiotics, the are a very short term "fix." Fermented food is the real deal.
Do you recommend that I post a time (and time zone!) first, before getting “the keys to get started”? Shall I wait until I hear from more people?
My hope is that if we do one, it will get the ball rolling.
An estimated headcount (just for this first one) might be helpful. Post a date & time and you get the keys :D.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie, I will post invite tomorrow for

Saturday August 5 9:50-11:00 MOUNTAIN Time.

Too much evening computer already. Going to go do some qigong!
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

CarrieS wrote:I'll start a fermentation meetup for those interested in creating their own fermented foods where we will make the ferment (for example sauerkraut or pickled vegetables) together while learning about it. I've done this with individuals so a group will be a lot of fun! If there is enough interest, I can set up different types of ferments and dates to accommodate the various time zones and countries. I'd love a lesson on how to use the video system that you've chosen to help me solidify my format and get my ball rolling.
I'd be very interested in this! I've always wanted to learn how to make my own fermented foods. :D
4/4
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Julie G wrote:Hi friends! I'm just bumping this up so all can see what we're trying to achieve. Huge thanks to Grace for spearheading this project. Please feel free to ask questions.
Hi, everyone,

I'm new to the group and new to the idea of being EPOEe4. What a bomb blast that was, although I shouldn't have been much surprised. My father and all five of his siblings slid into dementia in their late 70s, very early 80s. Eight of my cousins (four on each side) went on the same sleigh. I will soon be 84 and ever the optimist, decided I was past the threat.

I live in Seattle and think it would be great if there were enough around here to have an actual meetup, but I'm happy the virtual deal is getting off the ground.

Cheerio, Allie
Chameleon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Chameleon »

Hi AliBlue2,

Welcome to the APOE4 community! Glad you have joined us. It can definitely take a bit of getting used to knowing your APOE4 status. But I think as you are proving with such a large family history of dementia, that genes are not your destiny. And you may have other genes that could be protective. I think there is so much more we need to learn in this area.

That being said, at 84 you seem to be doing well. You must be doing something right! :D I think that is an interesting idea to have meetups.

If you are interested in learning more I would explore the Primer because it contains alot of useful information.

And thank you for sharing some of your family history. Many members also tell their story in the Our Stories forum so please feel free to share more of your background with us.
K8flan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by K8flan »

Did anything ever come of this ? last posts were in 2018?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Did anything ever come of this ? last posts were in 2018?
Welcome, K8flan! If you click on our Meet-Up Forum in the Board index, (see here) you'll see that we've had multiple in-person and virtual meet-ups. Everyone is welcome to suggest a topic to organize a meet-up. We're here to help facilitate.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

K8flan wrote:Did anything ever come of this ? last posts were in 2018?
Hi K8flan--There is a whole collection of different threads for Meet-ups in different areas--you can look here.
Were you looking for a Meet-up in a specific geographical area? If you don't see one in your area, you can start a new topic and see if there are others in your area that may want to join you.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
K8flan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by K8flan »

Hi JML!
Thank you for your reply!
First, How is Chicago? I went to School at Marquette and used to frequent the Chicago Milwaukee world much more frequently than of late. I am also very excited to see your a Coach with FMCA. A program I am about to get serious with. I just missed the February deadline. Also coll to see there is a Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches. Was wondering about that but haven't reached anyone live to inquire. If you have a moment I would love to talk to you about the whole program.

I stumbled on my APOE4/4 status by pure coincidence on a 23&Me test in 2015. I ran into two ladies in Albany, NY at a Lecture who were wonderful and I put there info in my phone then proptly lost their info when dropping the phone in water... The wanted to do a meet up of sorts. I am currently in Rochester, NY Moved back to do the Elder Care thing. Both Parents have passed. both did not have AD but one had NPH and Parkinsons and Mom, Type 1 Diabetes (since diagnosis at 14 in 1937 ) she lived a great life till 86 and had more vascular dementia and died sadly from Nursing home mishap and medication mis management, which I see far too frequently.

I am just getting started on my prevention protocol and looking for a good program to get my cognoscopy under way.
I do travel to Cleveland Clinics new FM Clinic, about 4 hour drive. Love Love LOve the FM Model. My Dad was a Physician and Mom a Medical Researcher and I discovered a love of science late in the game so looking to take my Corporate Technology Innovation mind and pivot to one of Coaching/Facilitating and Helping in Healthcare fields. Not sure what all that looks like but I do need a sharper focus program for myself. I am Autoimmune Thyroid, Hashimoto, Brother and Sister both had thyroid out never autobody tested. Mom and her brother and Sister Type 1 Diabetics diagnosed in the 1930's Mom's Mom Aggressive RA and all the girls on my Mom's side have everything from Lupus to Celiac to RA to Diabetes Graves, etc. SO That is my story. I have not had too much luck finding great FM resources in Rochester, NY Love Mark Hyman MD have done several of his programs when he launches them.

I have a new chapter opening for me a in planning mode for what that looks like,

Do you have any recommendations on arterna associated with the Apollo Health group for full assessment and protocol advancement and support on the ReCode plan and initial Cognoscpy. I know I am type 1.5 with Insulin Resistance and Inflammation being my top two but need to continue drilling down for specifics on biomarkers as I think I am a bit unique on genetics.

Thank You!
Spring is Almost here!!

Kate