John Koziarski, MD / Battle Creek, MI

Share our experiences, one topic per practitioner.
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

John Koziarski, MD / Battle Creek, MI

Post by Indywoman »

I travel 3.5 hours to see Dr. Koziarski, first seeing him last May. He was the closest MD I could find who had been through the Bredesen protocol, and I was certainly unsure of seeing someone this far away.

Dr. Koziarski has turned out to be exactly the kind of person I wanted to work with in this process. He is kind, very knowledgeable, and so good at explaining complexities and patiently answering questions, including at the outset why he as a surgeon was heading towards functional medicine. I also appreciated that he is on most of the foods he suggested I should be eating and similarly avoids gluten, dairy, etc. He told me about a number of products that I could get when I was having trouble finding alternatives to dairy or wheat (e.g. Flaxmilk, Anna's bread, etc). When I decline something, (a good example would be the MRI), he listens to why, suggests options, or doesn't push. When my husband and I drove up for the ReCode report, he took three hours with us, explaining, drawing diagrams and answering my biologist husband's many questions, particularly on toxins in the report.

Lastly, Dr. Koziarski saved me a trip recently, and no doubt will do so in the future, by communicating through videoconferencing where we had a good 45 minute conversation. If I were to use adjectives to describe him they would be knowledgeable, compassionate, patient, unflappable, and sensitive and receptive to the patient's perspective.
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
Sherijordan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: John Koziarski, MD / Battle Creek, MI

Post by Sherijordan »

Hi Indywoman (I'm an Indy woman too!)
How has this worked out for you? I'm looking for a doctor to work with my mother, and she is up in northwest Michigan. Seems to be no one up there but a chiropractor an hour away and I don't know if a chiropractor would really be up to this job. Do you have any idea if Dr Koziarski is still doing this? His name does not come up at the website given on the Wiki site.
thanks!!!
Sheri Jordan
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Indywoman wrote:I travel 3.5 hours to see Dr. Koziarski, first seeing him last May.
Sherijordan wrote:Hi Indywoman (I'm an Indy woman too!)
How has this worked out for you? I'm looking for a doctor to work with my mother, and she is up in northwest Michigan. Seems to be no one up there but a chiropractor an hour away and I don't know if a chiropractor would really be up to this job. Do you have any idea if Dr Koziarski is still doing this? His name does not come up at the website given on the Wiki site.
thanks!!!
Sheri Jordan
Good morning, Sheri, and welcome! I've added a "quote" to Indywoman by clicking on the quotation mark icon in the upper right corner of her post. That brings over her whole post, which I condensed. More importantly, she will now get an email notification of your question. A clunky way to hit "reply all", but that's one of the charming (we hope) peculiarities of our free software.

As an aside, I have wonderful family in a small town in western Michigan, and know how much they love going to the Upper Peninsula each year. I hope your mother loves living there also, and that both of you can find support and ideas for her through our community. Hugs from someone who has also been a concerned daughter.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

thanks!!!
Sheri Jordan
Welcome, Sheri!

You'd need to search for this, but there have been some reports here of docs who will work remotely - phone/Skype & etc. You might check the list in our Wiki.
Tincup
E3,E4
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Indywoman »

Hello SheriJordan!

Good to know you are an Indy woman as well! I actually loved my 3.5 drive up to Battle Creek, and found Dr. Koziarski a wonderful doctor, but unfortunately he moved to Florida last August. By that time, I felt I knew enough about lab tests I would need in the future and my primary care physician is willing to order those for me now. Along with this wonderful site and its information, I have cobbled together my own plan.

I had originally gotten Dr. Koziarski's name from the ReCode folks as they list practitioners within a certain radius of your, or in this case your mother's location. That may be a route you want to go, but it is expensive. If you would like a couple of suggestions, perhaps you could send me a private message?

A big shoutout to NF52 for catching your post and quoting me so that I got the email notification. Sherijordan, she is the QUEEN of knowledge and support, so follow her posts!
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

thanks!!!
Sheri Jordan
Hi SheriJordan and welcome to the apoe4.info website!

Many people who use the apoe4.info website are caring for or trying to help someone living with the undesirable aspects of having the apoe4 gene. Whether you've had a chance to look around the site or are new, you'll find there is a wealth of information and an abundance of caring and compassionate people within the apoe4.info community. It appears that several of our experienced contributors and moderators have already responded to your post, so I would like to offer you some resources on how to get what you most want from the apoe4.info website.

For starters, here is the general "How To" get the most of the apoe4.info website.

To help you find a practitioner who is well versed in understanding the apoe4 gene and its various forms of expression, go to Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner.

In her response to you, Indy Woman suggested you private message her. For instructions on how to private message someone through the apoe4.info website click here.

And lastly, if you (or your mother) want to learn more about what can be done to optimize all aspects of health in someone with the apoe4 gene, our Primer is an excellent resource.

Please feel free to explore, ask questions, share your story, and participate in the various forum topics. Welcome to the apoe4.info community!

Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)