Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by TheresaB »

Pat95 wrote:Do u suggest a ketone meter? Especially at first? My niece who is a dietitian suggested to check ketones just before last meal of the day?
I've found a ketone meter to be very handy for actual feedback rather than guessing. I have a Keto-Mojo, it is one meter for testing both ketones and glucose, very nice. I've gotten into a groove with how to eat, so I don't use it as much as I did, but I still check things every so often.

I don't recommend testing ketones first thing in the morning because that's when they're lowest and that can be discouraging.
Personally, I typically check it before I break my fast late in the morning. I think the key as to when to test is to do it consistently at about the same time because there variance during the day. We also have a wiki Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

I used to religiously checked my ketones with a machine.

As a side note, I first thought the meter wasn't working because the readings were 0 or 0,2 but after a week I got into nutritional ketosis. I then began to check weekly before I broke my fast. It also took my wife a week more than me to achieve keto so persevere

It is true what is documented, once keto adapted you do know when you're in ketosis
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Pat95 wrote:Hi
I am new here. I am a 3/4. I am not quite clear on how much olive oil and avocados are u suppose to eat on this diet? I have read his book and listen to several of his videos. On his first book he has evolved on some of his recommendations for apoe4s. So sorry if this is redundant.
Hey Pat,

As a patient, what he has told us in our consultations (there are transcripts to all seven linked in this post on the 7th consult, in each one, we ask about ApoE4 isssues), is that he's observed that large quantities of saturated fat increase levels of sdLDL (small dense LDL) and oxLDL (oxidized LDL). For this reason, he suggests not eating dairy (he thinks he could tell someone's ApoE4 status just on how much cheese - lots - they eat :lol: ) and land animal foods. He told us to eat whitefish, shellfish and omega 3 or pastured eggs in term of animal protein. Yes, he has changed his ideas from his first book, Diet Evolution to the current Plant Paradox.

On ketone meters, yes I think they are useful. As others have mentioned, once you establish a pattern, then you can pretty well predict kind of where you are going to be. But everyone is different, so learning how you react is useful.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Pat95 wrote: I am not quite clear on how much olive oil and avocados are u suppose to eat on this diet?
On olive oil, Gundry is big on polyphenols. This is why Theresa said to look for oil with a "bite." It is also why Gundry encourages its use. Theresa (my wife) and I tend to use about a liter a week, split between us. This is for salads and cooking.

Even on a keto diet, which Gundry's plan could be, you can gain weight by overeating. You could use a free tool like Cronometer.com, to put in estimated quantities for what you are eating to make sure you are eating a reasonable amount of calories. On his plan, the common way for people to overconsume calories is to eat too many nuts. He has recommended limits in his book and food lists.

Not that you need to count calories per se, but this is just a reasonableness test.
Tincup
E3,E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Pat95 wrote:Thank u so much for all ur help. Do u suggest a ketone meter? Especially at first? My niece who is a dietitian suggested to check ketones just before last meal of the day? Frequency especially at first? I do have the parameters that I need to be. I have also read the The End of Alzheimer's. I am working with a functional NP who knows about this diet but it's pretty much up to me to guide myself. She will do the appropriate tests. But I am pretty much on my own.
Hi Pat, and welcome!

As long as you are here on our website, you are not on your own! You've already been in touch with Tincup and TheresaB, who are very knowledgeable about Dr Gundry's approach, among other important topics.

For an overview of multiple ways to preserve cognitive decline, please check out our Primer, written by a MD member. Many of us have found this very useful along our journey. There are many more detailed deeper dives in the wiki; the ketosis chapter has already been pointed out to you by Theresa. The wiki is more like a book, where the topics are more like an ongoing conversation.

If at any point you feel like you need more personal help implementing what your functional NP has suggested, a health coach can be helpful. They typically have a lower hourly rate than cash pay providers. We have a list of health coaches in our wiki (for future reference if needed).
Slacker
E4/E4
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Pat95 wrote:Thank u so much for all ur help. .
Hello Pat - Welcome to the group. I See you've already gotten some nice feedback from other members and our support team. Please continue to ask questions and post your observations - we are all here to help each other.

I'd just like to point out a couple of site resources you may find useful - First is the Primer written by Stavia. She is a physician who is 4/4. She provides a great summary of the APOE topic with recommendations and help for living with APOE 4. Second resource is the How To guide. It will help you navigate the site, do searches, and create posts more efficiently. Welcome Aboard!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Boomer46
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Boomer46 »

I just listened to Dr. Gundry's interview. Thank you for the link. Yes, he does talk about limiting animal fat as much as possible and when eaten it should be in small amounts like a stirfry.

I bought his book, the diet revolution on kindle as well. It I learn anything, I will post it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Boomer46 wrote: I bought his book, the diet revolution on kindle as well. It I learn anything, I will post it.
Diet Revolution is his 2008 book. Many have been helped by it. His 2017 book is Plant Paradox. It is much more focussed on autoimmune and also has quite a bit on ApoE4. The differences between the books come from more years of clinically treating people, including ApoE4's.
Tincup
E3,E4
Boomer46
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Boomer46 »

Thanks for the information about Dr. Gundry's second book. I plan on reading both. I am in my 3rd month of taking CNP520 50 mg or placebo, but also plan to chang diet and supplements if allowed by Rush Medical Center in Chicago. I am due back Dec 4th. Side effects have been quite mild.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Julie G wrote:A top notch heart surgeon actually spends THREE minutes discussing diet recommendations for E4s. THREE minutes, an eternity in E4 land!!! We usually get a sentence.

A must listen. The E4 info starts at the 30 min. mark although the entire podcast was fascinating and sets a contextual background:

http://body.io/body-io-fm-24-dr-steven- ... 4CpYP.dpbs

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Hi, Julie,

Super interesting but didn't you say that if someone is selling something, turn it off? Gundry sells various pills. Also, somewhere in the forums, I read that I shouldn't take EVOO but take avocado oil. Not sure where I read it but someone said not to take grapeseed oil but Gundry like it. I'm even more confused.