Intermittent Fasting

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by PBW »

My neighbor has 4 panels from Joovv and the 4 members of his family use it daily for 20 minutes per side...quite pricey around 2-3 grand. Dr Gundry has joovv's small hand held that he takes everywhere. I purchased Red Therapy CO RedRush 360 primarily for my mitochondria but also use it for low back or any muscle group after a heavy workout. it was less than $500 and I can add on if I want to later. I am getting the same one for my son who has had several concussions in his life. Hope this helps.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

My neighbor has 4 panels from Joovv and the 4 members of his family use it daily for 20 minutes per side...quite pricey around 2-3 grand. Dr Gundry has joovv's small hand held that he takes everywhere. I purchased Red Therapy CO RedRush 360 primarily for my mitochondria but also use it for low back ...
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent Fasting

Post by MsCindy »

It took me a while to get IF going well because I work very long days at 2 jobs and really felt the need to have 3 meals. Plus before I started the Bredesen protocol, I was a grazer who never really ate a meal. So it has been a serious change for me. But I followed the suggestions to make the changes gradually, and over 2 years, I have actually gotten to where I mostly eat only 1 meal at mid-day with a fat-bomb at dinner time of 2t. butter and 1oz of cream cheese. The key for me was lots of oils throughout the day though: coconut oil in coffee, grass-fed cream in coffee, and the fat-bomb at night. Until I got all these fats in my diet, it never worked. But until I got to this point with IF, I could NOT get my blood sugar under 90! I have a stable weight of 115 pounds and really don't have any extra weight to lose anywhere on me, but my fasting blood sugar was between 90-105 consistently. With IF, now my fasting blood sugar is always in the 80's and my ketosis is always solid. I keep from losing weight by how much fat I eat. It took me 2 years, but it's all working now!
Inga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inga »

HI There everybody. 4/4 Inga here. I have two questions. One: Does anyone experience a stolen throat, hot tongue, prickly feeling when on Keto? And Two: What is the red light being talked about. ? Thanks so much in advance, Inga
coffeekills
New User
New User

Post by coffeekills »

Hello all, new to the site 4/4 here. I have oddly enough been keto for long periods of time in combo with IF and longer fasts as well prior to learning about my AD risk level. Just to touch back on a few questions earlier in the thread around what we are looking for in IF with times that may be too short for autophagy to fully kick in, I believe it is mostly gut health. Most of what I have heard is through Dr. Rhonda Patrick interviews and related searches but it seems like the biggest benefit is allowing the gut bacteria that thrives in a fasted state to repopulate more than anything and that is why any Calories at all is considered a stop. Autophagy may ramp up a little but most of what I have read pins the exponential ramp to be around day 3 of a prolonged fast. I'd suggest looking into some of Dr Valter Longos work in the area.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Hello McCindy,
I am not one who is following ketosis, I just try and keep the carbs and simple sugars way down. Three years ago I had fasting blood sugar about 100. I took all the supplements recommended and cut out all sugars. I gradually began to push myself toward intermittent fasting. It took a while - I was someone who woke up hungry at 6AM. Now, at the earliest I eat at 9AM ( a 14 hr fast) and often i don't eat till noon (17 hrs). My latest blood sugar was 85. The only thing I can attribute it to is the fasting, because diet, sleep and exercise have been pretty stable.
emmabarton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by emmabarton »

coffeekills wrote:Hello all, new to the site 4/4 here. I have oddly enough been keto for long periods of time in combo with IF and longer fasts as well prior to learning about my AD risk level. Just to touch back on a few questions earlier in the thread around what we are looking for in IF with times that may be too short for autophagy to fully kick in, I believe it is mostly gut health. Most of what I have heard is through Dr. Rhonda Patrick interviews and related searches but it seems like the biggest benefit is allowing the gut bacteria that thrives in a fasted state to repopulate more than anything and that is why any Calories at all is considered a stop. Autophagy may ramp up a little but most of what I have read pins the exponential ramp to be around day 3 of a prolonged fast. I'd suggest looking into some of Dr Valter Longos work in the area.
Hey there coffeekills-- welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. I'm a big fan of Rhonda Patrick and especially loved her interviews with Sachin Panda (I have listened to both several times :) ). I too have been experimenting with fasting-- and about 6 months ago I did the Prolon 5 day fast. I certainly didn't "suffer" and thought the entire experience was really interesting, but I think I'll stick to a straight 48-72 water fast instead. I questioned some of the ingredients in the Prolon packets-- folic acid really turned me off and the histamine levels were through the roof. Regardless, I am better for the experience and I really enjoyed Longo's book.

Anyway, I'm grateful you posted and thought I share with you some interesting aspects of the ApoE4.info site. If you haven't checked out the primer I'd recommend taking a look-- it was written by Dr. Stavia-- an E4/E4 doctor in our community. There's also the wiki page and here you'll find info on how to get the most out of the ApoE4.info site. And of course, if your interested in sharing more about your experiences please check out Our Stories.

Light and peace on your path,

Emma
healing happens in relationship
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

coffeekills wrote:Hello all, new to the site 4/4 here. I have oddly enough been keto for long periods of time in combo with IF and longer fasts as well prior to learning about my AD risk level. Just to touch back on a few questions earlier in the thread around what we are looking for in IF with times that may be too short for autophagy to fully kick in, I believe it is mostly gut health. Most of what I have heard is through Dr. Rhonda Patrick interviews and related searches but it seems like the biggest benefit is allowing the gut bacteria that thrives in a fasted state to repopulate more than anything and that is why any Calories at all is considered a stop. Autophagy may ramp up a little but most of what I have read pins the exponential ramp to be around day 3 of a prolonged fast. I'd suggest looking into some of Dr Valter Longos work in the area.
Welcome, coffeekills. thanks for joining us here to share your experience and insights. My understanding of the primary benefits of IF are similar to yours; gut health is improved. My info comes from a different source, a Microbiome webinar series with microbiologist Kiran Krishnan. He recommends 16 hr IF as the ideal for healthy microbiome, along with a diet richly diverse in plant material.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
coffeekills
New User
New User

Post by coffeekills »

Yeah, I strive for 16 but work primarily from an "all or something" approach for IF. I think my biggest issue in the past (and currently) is that although I pull off the timing well enough, I still do not have enough pro/prebiotics. Hope to get some good information and inspiration around that from these boards!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Inga wrote:One: Does anyone experience a stolen throat, hot tongue, prickly feeling when on Keto?
A swollen throat and the other symptoms you mention sound more like a food allergy or intolerance. Have you introduced new foods on your keto diet that might be causing you problems?