Intermittent Fasting

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Aldarita
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Aldarita »

Thank you Lisa G for the answer and the input. I am certainly going to look into the links you've given me and learn to navigate in this forum
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

That's great. This forum is a wonderful resource!
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

Does anyone know how intermittent fasting impacts people who are easily fatigued and easily stressed? Seems like fasting (for some) would further strain the adrenals by pushing cortisol production.

Another question, who is not a good candidate for intermittent fasting?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
Leigh Ann W
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Leigh Ann W »

I’m 4/4 and I’m doing my first prolonged fast. 14 days. I’m currently on day 4 and just curious if fasting that long is healthy for apo carriers. Thanks for any feedback
Leigh Ann
4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Leigh Ann W wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:02 pm I’m 4/4 and I’m doing my first prolonged fast. 14 days. I’m currently on day 4 and just curious if fasting that long is healthy for apo carriers. Thanks for any feedback
Hi Leigh Ann,

I don't know that your ApoE4 status really bears on the question. Our doc, Steven Gundry, cautions against long fasts primarily because in our modern society there are lots of organic chemicals and heavy metals stored in fat cells that can be released during longer fasts that are hard for the liver to process. He also suggests consuming activated charcoal during a long fast to bind with these chemicals and have them exit through the stool. That being said, I did 19 five day fasts (5 out of every 14 days) in a row in 2017, when I was 62 (I intentionally did not lose weight, when looking at day one of a cycle to the next day one of a cycle). Another consideration is your body fat level. If you have a low BMI and are very thin, I'd be very cautious.

USC fasting researcher Valter Longo mentions that refeeding is at least as important as the fast. Here are two podcasts with Dr. Longo & Rhonda Patrick. One, Two. also a transcript of a Gundry & Longo podcast.

Nephrologist Jason Fung's coaching group encourages shorter fasts, like 36-42 hours, up to several times per week. For people needing to lose a bunch of weight, this seems to be a pretty healthy way to go.
Tincup
E3,E4
Leigh Ann W
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Leigh Ann W »

Thank you for the reply. I do have activated charcoal on order for that purpose. However today starts my 5th day so maybe I should go buy some. I don’t have a lot of weight to lose but I’m not underweight either. I’ll definitely check out those podcasts as well. I really appreciate your input.
Leigh Ann
4/4
Attabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Attabeth »

Leigh Ann W wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:02 pm I’m 4/4 and I’m doing my first prolonged fast. 14 days. I’m currently on day 4 and just curious if fasting that long is healthy for apo carriers. Thanks for any feedback
Hi Leigh Ann W,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question. I see Tincup had some good advice and info for you. I hope that was helpful. It looks like you are new here so I just wanted to welcome you and offer some links that might be helpful to you as you explore further.

The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips and tricks to navigate the site include the How-to Guide. This guide is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

If you would like to tell us more about yourself or interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Feel free to share more about yourself or to ask any more questions. I hope you find this forum to be a great resource for you. So glad you are here.

Be well,
Beth
Leigh Ann W
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Leigh Ann W »

Thank you for that incredibly warm welcome and I will go to our stories and post mine own and read some of the others.
Leigh Ann
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I've done a number of multi-week fasts. E4s can use ketones for fuel better than E3s, so should theoretically be able to fast better than E3s. That being said, if you start to feel bad, it is time to stop. Might want to add electrolytes. My wife, a 3/3, does not do long fasts well, but she does many short fasts. She had gut issues after doing one long fast. My BG levels tend not to go down much when I fast, which seems to be unusual. My normal diet has very few carbs (~25 g / day), and so my muscles are running mostly on ketones. My body is already likely converting dietary fat to glucose for the brain. Maybe that is why I'm able to maintain BG...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Leigh Ann W
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Leigh Ann W »

That's good information to have. I ended up breaking it this morning. Lots of dizziness and just feeling weak. I was ill prepared to do it anyhow. I'd like to try again in the future. For now, I'll be fasting 18/6 and a 24 hour fast once a week. I feel that pretty substantial. And I eat keto with very little "keto" sweeteners as I've learned that they can actually spike insulin more than sugar. I really appreciate your feedback.
Leigh Ann
4/4